1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon CPS update

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by Phill104, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Today Canon, at least here in the UK, have updated CPS membership and merged the websites so there is one Canon ID to logon. While this sounds like a small change, the major change is the way the membership levels work. Gone are the old qualifying models, instead each item is given a number of points. This means that those with lots of lower end kit can still get top level membership. I have jumped from silver membership to gold and only just a few points off platinum. This speeds up turnaround time and gives the facility of loan kit, all good stuff.

2. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Neato, that is good for you in the UK for sure.

3. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I would hope other regions will do the same in time.

4. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I just looked, no change here, but companies often take a long time to change things here.

5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nope. They still charge $100 annually for the Gold level and $300 annually for the Platinum level, here. I've not used their services during all the years I've been at the Silver level so not really feeling the benefit of upgrading.

6. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That is frustrating, here it is free and the level depends on how much kit you own.

7. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That sounds much better. Maybe I could join the UK version :)

8. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just done some research and it seems the whole of Europe, Africa and the Middle East is free in this way. Seems the US and Canada get a raw deal. Time for some words with Canon me thinks, it really sounds unfair.

9. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'll blame the US, usually we get whatever they have at a higher cost. :)

10. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok. There is a CPS USA and a CPS the-rest-of-the-world. They both have Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels and both require a certain amount of points to qualify for a particular level. The points awarded are completely different and the services offered appear to be quite a bit different. CPS Europe offers a Priority Support Helpdesk (??) and CPS USA provides access to a 24/7 CPS Hotline number.

The CPS USA membership appears to offer significant savings with equipment servicing and repair over the Europe plan. But, I was not able to access the details on CPS Europe site as they require log-in so I may have missed something. On the public pages the differences seem significant.

The CPS USA offers free servicing of 5 Canon products for the Gold level and 10 Canon products for the Platinum members (8-Point DSLR Maintenance Service normally $49 per DSLR, 11-Point EF Lens Maintenance Service normally $59 per lens). So if you max out what's allowed Gold members can get up to $295 of free service and Platinum members up to $590.

Gold members receive 20% discount on repairs while Platinum members receive a 30% discount - both subject to a specified number of repairs (10 and 15 respectively). Gold offers free return shipping and Platinum provides free shipping both ways. Both Gold and Platinum levels offer discounted admission to select Canon Live Learning seminars and workshops.

Gold and Platinum members may request free evaluation of Canon products (try before you buy) with Platinum members having a priority (over Gold) for the loans. As I understand it,there is no obligation to buy.

CPS USA seems to have a more restrictive membership, they say it is available to individuals (self-employed or employed with a professional imaging company) who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images on a full-time basis. Applicants must meet Canon equipment requirements to enroll - there is no Red Level. Whereas the CPS Europe appears to be open to everyone.

So it seems that if you require a lot of servicing and repairs to your camera equipment, the CPS USA program appears to provide a real benefit. I'm not sure what you get for the CPS Europe beyond the 10% discount on repairs (and servicing?).

11. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Here we get 10% on repairs, loan kit depending on level. 1-5 days turnaround depending on level, 2 for me as a gold member. There are some extra discounts on lens/body servicing. It does sound like you do get a bit more for your money over there but not sure what financially the difference equates to, initial charges in the US seems higher in the first place, even more in Canada. Interesting how big companies deal the US and Canada compared to much of the world.

MikeB likes this.
  12. Dusty

Dusty Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Interesting. Just as this is happening, NPS (Nikon equivalent) is closed to new applications in the UK. They claim it's while they launch a new website, but you wonder if both Canon and Nikon are finally making some big changes to how they look after customers.... their launches of Full Frame mirrorless bodies and this could all be part of a stepping up of customer service. We'll see :)

13. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hope springs eternal... I've been an NPS member for a few years now but lens turn round times still seem pretty slow. If non members have to wait even longer its no surprise a lot of folks use the likes of Fixation for repair work.

14. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’ve heard the same from Nikon owning friends who have waited quite some time for repairs. Recently a D750 that the shutter failed on with less than 20,000 clicks. It was 6 months out of warranty and she was charged £340 for a three week wait.

By contrast, the last repair I had by Canon took three days. I say repair, it was a camera and lens service. Lens was 14yrs old and came back looking like new with replaced rubber grips etc and all nicely tuned to the body. It was a zoom that had become a bit gritty after prolonged use in the volcanic sands of El Medano. It had to be dismantled to clean properly then re-calibrated. Camera was just a general clean and check with sensor clean etc. All done for £89.

15. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That was a bargain! I've just had my cheapest repair at £130 for one lens and that was only because they couldn't replicate the fault in their cursory initiak inspection and just gave it a service instead. It cost them a fortune in the end as it went back 2 more times to be sorted properly and they ended up changing so many components that they have even changed the serial number as there was little of the original left.

16. Dusty

Dusty Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I can't speak for Canon, but I've only ever had good experiences with nikon service and spare parts. I smashed the glass on the top info window of a D5 and called expecting a big Bill cost me £4 And they sent me a replacement glass for the window I could fit myself!