• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM or 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM

JacksCanon

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Evening all,
the first of many dumb questions I am sure.
I will be using a Canon550D

It is my intention to take Motorsport and Wildlife photographs.

I am looking at the Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM or Canon 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM

Both have image stabilisation and auto focus, the same focal length and zoom.
Do I need the Mk2 or will a good second hand Mk1 do the job?

Any tips and hints most welcome.

Jack

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I feel they'd both "do the job" with the Mk2 being a better lens.

There's a But here - my thinking is if you're expecting the same image quality as sports and nature photographs seen in magazines then you're going to be rather disappointed as you're going to be struggling for image quality at the end of the day, especially when pushing these lenses to their maximum zoom.

If you're starting out and this is the higher end of your budget then you'll be very happy with the early results but in the end you might want something better.

I don't know if the 7D is out of your price bracket (don't dismiss second hand) but this should give you better results/image quality generally than the 550D(Rebel T2i).

Without knowing your budget I'd be looking at a different lens (e.g. 100-400mm) but there are other makes such as Tamron that make a 150-600mm which will give you much more reach and better quality.

JacksCanon

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for the pointers.

What would you say are the outstanding differences between the 550D(Rebel T2i) and 7D?

I note that there are 8 frames per second on burst rather than 3 on the 550.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for the pointers.

What would you say are the outstanding differences between the 550D(Rebel T2i)(Rebel T2i) and 7D?

I note that there are 8 frames per second on burst rather than 3 on the 550.
I‘ve just a look on the dPreview.com website and must admit there isn’t much difference between the two - I thought there was and thought the 7D had newer technology but it doesn’t.

JacksCanon

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Snips

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I agree with Edward that your camera and lens choice will not give your the desired results as neither is specked out for fast sports or wild life. You would be better off with a 7D Mk II and either a Canon 100-400 mm or a Sigma 150-600mm. I have the Sigma and love it. It’s AF is not the fastest but it works for what I do.

JacksCanon

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Mike,I will take a look

DavidC

Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Lens wise, I agree with previous comments, you would definitely benefit from the extra reach from a 400mm. As far as the camera, the more expensive ones like the 7D or 5D or the new R series mirrorless is going to get you better low light performance, faster burst speeds etc etc. But if you don't want to shell out a load of cash on a camera body as well as a lens, then start with the 100-400mm on your current camera. The biggest game-changer in photography is the quality of the lens you use.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Lens wise, I agree with previous comments, you would definitely benefit from the extra reach from a 400mm. As far as the camera, the more expensive ones like the 7D or 5D or the new R series mirrorless is going to get you better low light performance, faster burst speeds etc etc. But if you don't want to shell out a load of cash on a camera body as well as a lens, then start with the 100-400mm on your current camera. The biggest game-changer in photography is the quality of the lens you use.
Yes and no. I had a 550D(Rebel T2i) as my first DSLR. It’s low light, high ISO performance and limited AF points made it very difficult to do wildlife photography with. I was limited to only static photos in good light mainly. It did however, forced me to learn everything I could to improve my photography.

How about a Canon 80 or 90D?

DavidC

Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Yes and no. I had a 550D(Rebel T2i)(Rebel T2i) as my first DSLR. It’s low light, high ISO performance and limited AF points made it very difficult to do wildlife photography with. I was limited to only static photos in good light mainly. It did however, forced me to learn everything I could to improve my photography.

How about a Canon 80 or 90D?
I absolutely agree with you Mike. I started my Canon DSLR journey with a 70D, then a 7D, and currently a 5D IV. At the end of the day, it comes down to how much cash you want to sink in. I prioritised my kit upgrades with lenses first, then the camera bodies. As you say, it forces you to maximise what you have.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

JacksCanon

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Thanks David

JacksCanon

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I will be sticking with the 550D(Rebel T2i), unless I can find a cheap serviceable 7D.
My budget is done for now.
As suggested, I will look at lens buying instead.
I have this habit of expensive hobbies..........motorsport.......it is cheaper to burn money and save on the travelling