• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon EOS 3 - Aperture Problem

Nick Geldard

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hey guys, new to here so this is my first post. I have a question regarding my Canon EOS 3 35mm film camera. I bought it recently (Without lens) and functionally it works great, no issue with the LCD panel and its in great condition.

I ordered the 50mm Canon EF 1.8 lens from B&H and attached it to the camera. Now, this might just be me being naive/lack of knowledge (still relatively new to film photography) but when I change the aperture on the LCD panel I expected to see the aperture blades on the lens open/close when I increase and decrease the aperture but nothing happens. Is this normal? The lens autofocus works fine but just nothing when I change the aperture. Maybe they’re stuck? I live in the Cayman Islands & nowhere deals with film photography.

Any suggestions/answers will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

BriPriUK

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Nick
This is perfectly normal, the aperture only closes when you press the shutter button.
You have a great camera, and I'm jealous of your location!
BrianP

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have one of those too. Bought it just after release and really enjoyed using it.

There is a depth of field preview button you can use that temporarily closes the aperture blades to your set level so you can gauge the DOF. It is on the front, but you can also set they eye controlled focus so when you look at a spot in the viewfinder it also does the same. Been a long while since I have used it so cannot remember exactly how.

Nick Geldard

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nick
This is perfectly normal, the aperture only closes when you press the shutter button.
You have a great camera, and I'm jealous of your location!
BrianP

Okay thanks so much! That’s the reassurance I needed so appreciate the response. I’m looking forward to making the most of this beautiful island!!

Nick Geldard

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have one of those too. Bought it just after release and really enjoyed using it.

There is a depth of field preview button you can use that temporarily closes the aperture blades to your set level so you can gauge the DOF. It is on the front, but you can also set they eye controlled focus so when you look at a spot in the viewfinder it also does the same. Been a long while since I have used it so cannot remember exactly how.
Brilliant, thanks for the info. It’s an amazing camera with so many smart features! Appreciate the response!