• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon EOS 6D Mark II + Macro Lens

Dareios

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma and need some advice. I professionally digitize a collection of small objects and use a Canon EOS Rebel T6i(750 D) + Canon EF-S Macro 60 mm lens on a copy stand, which produces fantastic results. We are currently upgrading and decided on a Canon EOS 6D Mark II. The issue is that the lens does not fit the 6D. My question is, what difference the 100 mm Macro lens does have to my workflow, particularly in terms of distance to the objects, which range from very small (coin size via iphone size to even larger [but rarely] letter size). I find it rather annoying that Canon does not make the camera compatible to the 60 mm lens or offers an alternative option.

I'd be thankful for advice. The current options would be to go for the rather expensive 100 mm lens or upgrade the camera to only a later Rebel-model that accepts the 60 mm lens.

Thank you!

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Dareios and welcome to the forum.

If I might ask what is your main aim for the upgrade?
The 750D(Rebel T6i) is a very capable body and the EF-s is a capable lens. As you have probably realised by now EF-S lenses are only compatible with crop sensor bodies, this is due to the rear element of the lens being further back and in a position which interferes with the mirror movement of a FF body.
If you were to just upgrade the lens you would have a much tighter field of view using the 750D(Rebel T6i) 1.6 x 100mm would give you the equivalent of a 160mm lens whereas your current setup gives you the FF equivalent of a 96mm lens (1.6 x 60mm). If you were to upgrade to a full FF setup i.e. the 6D + 100mm you would see very little difference in the FOV to your current setup but there would be a difference in the DOF i.e. how much of a frame is in focus depending on the aperture used. Most of the time this difference would be minimal but it becomes more obvious with macro work with the FF giving a shallower DOF compared to the same settings on a crop setup.

You have mentioned the difference in working distance being a concern, with the 60mm you currently have MWD (minimum working distance) of 90mm whereas the 100mm has a MWD of 150mm. How much of the subject fills the frame at the MWD would depend on whether you use a crop or FF body which is where the FOV will be a consideration.

For the work you are doing, personally I would stick to what you already have unless there are some features in a more modern crop body you feel would help your workflow. It really comes down to what you are trying to achieve with the upgrade.

Dareios

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Hi Dareios and welcome to the forum.

If I might ask what is your main aim for the upgrade?
The 750D(Rebel T6i)(Rebel T6i) is a very capable body and the EF-s is a capable lens. As you have probably realised by now EF-S lenses are only compatible with crop sensor bodies, this is due to the rear element of the lens being further back and in a position which interferes with the mirror movement of a FF body.
If you were to just upgrade the lens you would have a much tighter field of view using the 750D(Rebel T6i)(Rebel T6i) 1.6 x 100mm would give you the equivalent of a 160mm lens whereas your current setup gives you the FF equivalent of a 96mm lens (1.6 x 60mm). If you were to upgrade to a full FF setup i.e. the 6D + 100mm you would see very little difference in the FOV to your current setup but there would be a difference in the DOF i.e. how much of a frame is in focus depending on the aperture used. Most of the time this difference would be minimal but it becomes more obvious with macro work with the FF giving a shallower DOF compared to the same settings on a crop setup.

You have mentioned the difference in working distance being a concern, with the 60mm you currently have MWD (minimum working distance) of 90mm whereas the 100mm has a MWD of 150mm. How much of the subject fills the frame at the MWD would depend on whether you use a crop or FF body which is where the FOV will be a consideration.

For the work you are doing, personally I would stick to what you already have unless there are some features in a more modern crop body you feel would help your workflow. It really comes down to what you are trying to achieve with the upgrade.
Thank you! That was very helpful! The reason for the upgrade (initially I actually only wanted to duplicate my work station for a colleague) was only that we thought a camera upgrade makes sense as the Rebel was used for quite a number of years. I didn't consider that the 60 mm lens, which is fantastic for my work, would not fit on the 6D. The MWD of the 100 mm would make it rather cumbersome over time I believe, as I still have 10-15,000 objects to go through.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Re the 6DMk2, there's a rarity with this insofar as the Mk1 is seen by many as a better camera than the Mk2 especially when it comes to noise/grain - a particular strength of the 6DMk1 is coping in low light conditions. In my experience the Mk1 can struggle with focusing on moving subjects in low light but it's not too much of an issue with me as I've learned to live with this "defect"- I have three of these cameras :)

Dareios

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Re the 6DMk2, there's a rarity with this insofar as the Mk1 is seen by many as a better camera than the Mk2 especially when it comes to noise/grain - a particular strength of the 6DMk1 is coping in low light conditions. In my experience the Mk1 can struggle with focusing on moving subjects in low light but it's not too much of an issue with me as I've learned to live with this "defect"- I have three of these cameras :)
Thank you. Yes, the reason, why we opted for the Mk2 was also the flip-out screen, which is essential for the type of photography I do.