1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

CANON FD 35-105mm f3.5 rookie question

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by REMF33, Feb 7, 2018.

1. REMF33

REMF33 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello. Does anyone have this lens? I have just bought it off eBay for my Canon AE1-Program, and I am a bit confused by the Macro function. i.e. I don't really know how to use it. There is a little button to flip but it won't stay in place. Have I been conned? (It's supposed to be in near perfect condition.) Alas there are not helpful YouTube videos to help me out with this ;)

2. REMF33

REMF33 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think I may have worked it out, but would still appreciate any comments.

3. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do not have an FD mount camera. The Macro Mode switch likely repositions one of the lens groups to get closer to the subject than the standard 5 ft. without the Macro Mode.

4. REMF33

REMF33 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think what it does is just allow you to go beyond ('below') the 35mm mark and lock the camera within a certain range. I had assumed that given it looks like a normal switch, it should click into position, and stay there but it doesn't. It slips back, but I now realized that that's what it's suppose to do, as the camera seems locked once you've done it. That probably makes no sense without having the thing in front of one!
    Although I now understand superficially what it does, I still don't really understand on a deeper level. I should look it up.

5. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    it focuses down in macro to about 1:2 at the 28 mm setting. so i guess thats where you set the lens then flick the macro switch and it allows close focusing

6. REMF33

REMF33 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)