1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon FD Lens

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by Gareth Lewis, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Gareth Lewis

Gareth Lewis Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    About 15 - 20 years ago I was quite active in bird photography and had a number of lenses which I used with a used with a Canon T70 camera. Due to other commitments, I was unable to continue with the photography and as a result of moving house rediscovered the camera equipment which I have decided to sell on.

One of the items sold was a Sigma telephoto lens [Canon FD fit] which seemed to work fine when I last used it. Unfortunately the buyer, who has no experience of Canon FD lenses, has come back to me to say that the diaphragm ring does not work. I am not sure what camera he is using but he says that all his other manual lenses work O.K.

Presumably he is looking for a refund. My question is whether it is likely that the lens is faulty and I should refund the buyer - or whether he simply just doesn't have the correct equipment for using the lens?

Note he has just come back to me to say that he is using it with an "adapter to m4/3 but it doesn’t work. I move the ring but the diaphragm doesn’t close."

Thanks

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I would first ask him if he is making sure the adaptor lock ring is set to "locked" and not "open". The aperture ring does not work in the "open" position.

3. Gareth Lewis

Gareth Lewis Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks very much for your help.

I have emailed the buyer and am just awaiting their response...

4. Gareth Lewis

Gareth Lewis Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Setting the adaptor lock ring in the locked position would appear to have partially resolved the problem.

However, he has now come back to me to say 'Sometimes the diaphragm works, but doesn't close to f22 or f32. I move the ring and works or doesn't works.'

It is a long while since I used the lens but from what I recall this was by design and related to the settings on the camera. Can anyone help me out? Sorry but my memory is a bit fuzzy!

5. Gareth Lewis

Gareth Lewis Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Help anyone, please??

From memory I have replied with following, I hope it is correct:

It is a while since I last used the lens but from what I remember - the fact the higher aperture f stops cannot be used may relate to the amount of light available and the minimum shutter speed of the camera.

When using a telephoto lens, it is desirable to use a low f stop in order to get a fast shutter speed to prevent the picture appearing blurred. To put it into more detail, the lower the f stop the larger the aperture and thus the great the amount of light coming into the camera. Thus, there is sufficient light for the camera to operate at a fast shutter speed. If you use lower f.stop such as f.22 or f.32, the aperture is smaller meaning there is only a small amount of light coming through - thus in order to produce an image on the film, the shutter speed has to be a good deal slower particularly where large telephoto lenses are concerned. The reason you are unable to use the f.22 or f.32 may well be due to the fact that the required shutter speed is below the minimum for the camera. Generally, these higher f stops can only be used in very bright light or with faster films.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018 at 8:05 PM
  6. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    At this point, your buyer is sounding more and more like he's experiencing "buyer's remorse" and just wants his money back.

However, is could also be a scammer trying to be able to return the lens, but not the same one. I did have that happen once when the buyer demanded money back on a "damaged" lens I had sold on-line. The mistake that one made was the fact that I had photographed the serial number of the lens I sent, and when I asked for pictures of the damage he sent back photos of a lens with a different serial number.

I just point that out as a precaution to anyone selling lenses. Always record the serial number if it has one. ;)

7. Gareth Lewis

Gareth Lewis Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, this is my view. It is possible he purchased the lens without researching whether it was suitable or indeed the one he really wanted for his camera.
    An added reluctance to accept his return is that the hefty return postage charge for this weighty piece of equipment - the buyer is based in Spain.
    Good point about the possibility of a scammer trying it on - fortunately in this instance, the serial no. of the lens is shown clearly in one of the photographs I included with the listing.

8. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    :thumbsup:

Gareth Lewis likes this.
  9. Gareth Lewis

Gareth Lewis Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    His story is developing/changing somewhat now - this is his latest reply:

"I know a little about how I have to use the diaphragm and the speed in my camera. The ring doesn't works out of the camera and with the adapter on the "locked" position. Sometimes the diaphragm ring works and sometimes no. I want to use it with the manual settings in the camera and it's a problem if I don't know if the ring is working. Please, can you tell me how I have to do to send you the lens? Thanks"

From the messages that have passed between us, I get the impression that he doesn't know a great deal about telephoto lenses. My memory isn't what it used to be but I am not sure why the aperture ring would not operate correctly outside the camera. Could it be affected if by low light levels?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018 at 10:53 AM