• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon rumoured to be making a hybrid EF/RF mount camera

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
According to Canon Rumours.

We have been told a couple of times now that a “pro” EOS R mirrorless camera that is in the works will have some kind of a hybrid EF/RF lens mount. So this basically means that you’d be able to mount both types of lenses without the use of an adapter.
We were also told that this was being developed for the “EOS-1 style EOS R camera”, which would make a lot of sense. As I don’t believe the reduction of size for an “EOS-1” style mirrorless camera is all that important.
This is definitely a bit of a strange rumour, but if Canon could pull this off, it would be great for Canon shooters.

From here: https://www.canonrumors.com/an-ef-rf-mount-hybrid-mirrorless-camera-in-the-works-cr2/

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
I guess it makes sense. If you’ve a bag full of Canon lenses being able to use them takes away the temptation to chop them all in for a Fuji or Sony system. I don’t get how it will work though. Surely it’ll just be a case of the adaptor, or similar, being in the camera and not as an add-on item as it is now. Will it affect the weather sealing? ’1’ series are pro spec aren’t they?

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Really interesting but I just cannot picture how it can be done. EF is smaller and needs to be further away from the sensor, so in my mind the mechanics don’t seem to work. Will be really interesting if it is true.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
Odd. The EF lenses require a distance of 44mm from the flange to the sensor (flange distance). The flange distance for the RF lenses is only 20mm - a 24mm difference.

An external adapter adds 24mm to the flange distance of the R-mount so that the EF lenses will properly focus onto the sensor. Take that away you still need some way to ensure the distance from the sensor to the flange of the EF lens is 44mm.

To accommodate that 24mm difference internally means either temporarily moving the sensor back 24mm for the EF lenses or moving the sensor forawrd 24mm for RF-lenses.

Contax was the only camera manufacturer that moved the focus plane (film, and for auto focusing) and to do so for a mirrorless camera means having the body be just as large as a DSLR. Certainly possible, but a strange solution.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
I think the only way it can be done is moving the sensor back When an EF lens is fitted. Sounds very complex to me and an extra factor in reliability. AF should not be affected though as it is done n sensor with DPAF, or maybe by then Canon will have their rumoured quad pixel AF in use.

Isac

Always on
I stayed very excited for a long time because of the "Canon Rumours" people. I was waiting ages for the 7D3 and "Who's Who" were guessing what the specs would be. I had my hopes up and thought WOW, this will be big! BUT it was big alright, all a BIG LIE. Don't get too excited with stuff on Canon Rumours, they can make you feel really stupid and if not, really sad.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
I stayed very excited for a long time because of the "Canon Rumours" people. I was waiting ages for the 7D3 and "Who's Who" were guessing what the specs would be. I had my hopes up and thought WOW, this will be big! BUT it was big alright, all a BIG LIE. Don't get too excited with stuff on Canon Rumours, they can make you feel really stupid and if not, really sad.
I find it just a bit of fun. 95% of their rumours turn out to be total garbage probably written by a flat earther. Fun to point at and laugh.

As for a 7D3, I too hope we will see one in the coming year. My 7D2 is getting a bit battered and the shutter count is huge. It still works well with the only exception being the top dial being not as responsive as it should be. Probably a bit of dirt in there somehow. Not worth fixing for just that, but if a 7D3 arrives it will wing its way to my door the day of release.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
I don't think the 7D3 is a go Phil. They have put out the 90D instead. A friend bought one and he loves it. Great image IQ.
I feel differently, especially after using a 90D. So many things simply do not match up to the 7D2. It is a very worthy successor to the 80D, it not much more. Only time will tell of course.

Isac

Always on
I feel differently, especially after using a 90D. So many things simply do not match up to the 7D2. It is a very worthy successor to the 80D, it not much more. Only time will tell of course.
Great to get your thoughts on the 90D. I have a friend looking at one (he has the 7D) so can you enlighten me on your thoughts about what's not quite hitting the mark on the 90D? I've just upgraded from the 7D to the 7D2 and it is a big improvement. I was looking at the 90D but because it was an insurance replacement for my damaged 7D, the 90D was not available at the time, so they sent me the 7D2 - I'm very happy with it.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
There are quite a few things. The biggest is ergonomic, the 7D2 is just so much better in that element. As well as the extra controls, they are far more configurable. The viewfinder on the 7D2 is also brighter and slightly larger, and that too makes a big difference. The buffer on the 90D is noticeably smaller running out more often than I am used to. I find the 7D2 feels more responsive than the 90D. Don’t get me wrong, the 90D is probably the best all round camera Canon do, but for fast Wildlife in harsh conditions the 7D2 has the edge IMO.

Isac

Always on
There are quite a few things. ...
Thanks for your view on the subject Phill. I'll pass this on to my friend. I guess he'll get what will suit him best. He does all sorts of photography - weddings, portraits, football, speedway so I'll have a go at pushing him towards the 7Dii while they are still available. Cheers, Greg