1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Canon to announce mirrorless full frame on Sept. 5

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by MikeB, Sep 1, 2018.

1. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    According to Cannon Rumors, Canon will make an announcement at Photokina on Sept. 5 introducing their full frame mirrorless camera. The 30mp camera sports a new "R" mount, a magnesium body (typically reserved for pro-build cameras), an articulating full touch screen LCD, and an EF to EF-R mount adapter. In addition they are also said to be introducing 4 lenses for the camera (35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 28-70mm f/2L, and 24-105mm f/4L)

The camera is said to be similar in style to the M Series of cameras. Photos and more information are here: https://www.canonrumors.com/here-ar...-the-canon-eos-r-and-the-new-rf-mount-lenses/

The buttons and their arrangement on the camera are completely different from those of the DSLR (no surprise) but what is interesting is that they seem to be using the same type of LCD screen on top of the body as Nikon.

It is also rumored that the EF to R mount adapter includes a filter mount - if true, that's cool.

Canon will also be refreshing their 400mm f/2.8L 600mm f/4L lenses.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Snips and Mike Singh like this.
  2. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Let's hope it's better than the Nikon effort....

3. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    hmmm other sources say it only has 1 SD card slot.

4. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That bothers me much less than the seemingly poor af performance.

5. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Pirate cameras! The R mount . Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week!

paulmag, Andy 0, Scoob100 and 2 others like this.
  6. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lucky we are all elsewhere.

DonS and Hatter like this.
  7. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is supposed to be the official specifications for the camera. Pretty impressive.

https://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/eos-r.pdf

It has many of the same specs as the EOS 5D Mark IV using a new digital sensor. Because it is using the Dial-Pixel sensor, it has up to 5,655 on-sensor AF points with a working AF range of EV -6 to 18. It also seems to have 2 additional Exposure Control Modes and an ISO range of 100-40,000 (normal).

I would place it somewhere between the EOS 6D and EOS 5D4 in terms of capability. It uses only SD memory cards and Probably has just one slot. A second announcement is expected in 2019 for another mirrorless having higher resolution and possibly 2 memory card slots.

8. Blofeld

Blofeld Forum Photobomber Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I can see advantages to having mirrorless for a few things, but on the whole it's not a massive jump in technology yet and I don't see what all the fuss is about. For what I shoot, and for what a lot of people shoot, mirrorless doesn't offer anything I can think of that would be a game changer. There's a lot of hype, but I think they need to up the game substantially if they want to sell to a lot more than just to the usual "I must have the latest kit" folk.
    I'd be far more interested in a reasonably priced entry level medium format model from the main manufacturers.

MikeB likes this.
  9. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree. I am not moved to going mirrorless. I appreciate that the camera is lighter and, because it has fewer parts, should be less expensive to build. I actually don't want the camera to be smaller as full size DSLRs fit my hands now whereas even the small bodied DSLRs (such as Canon's T5) do not.

All 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses for full frame cameras weigh about the same with Nikon's latest being the lightest at 1430g. Even Canon's lens with IS is lighter than Sony's at 1480g. Saving weight on the camera body is nice but fairly meaningless if you're carrying around more than one lens.

However, if your into fps I can see the attraction.

10. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've no doubt at all the skills that have gone into making this with engineering, electronics, etc and I'm sure it will be another excellent camera.

To be perfectly frank, however, it's not exactly very sexy is it? It's just another Canon. You can spot them from a mile off but have to invade someone's personal space to see which model they've bought.

11. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I will be interested to see how good the viewfinder is. So far I have not been impressed with any mirrorless viewfinder especially as they have given me headaches. Fuji seems laggy with tearing of the image when tracking birds. Sony less so but still had the headache problem. They are getting better each generation I have tried, but still not good for fast moving stuff IMO. Maybe Canon and Nikon have done better, will be surprised if they have. I can see their use for still images though, although long exposure stuff doesn’t get any advantage for seeing the final effect.

12. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I love mirrorless, it’s so much easier for landscape stuff. I mostly shoot handheld and to see the shot in the viewfinder before I press the shutter is great - no need to chimp all the time, WYSIWYG. Is that lazy or sloppy technique? Maybe, but it suits how I like to take photos and it makes the hobby more enjoyable, to me at least. It’s fun to shoot with a mono display in the viewfinder and see how the shot may, or may not, work in mono. Ok, you can do the same with a DSLR via live view but, to me, it’s not ‘right’ - I much prefer using the viewfinder. Each to their own of course but my little Olympus M43 is so much fun to use...

13. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I actually see more point in m43 than FF. There is a whole system size difference and I know plenty of people who love it for just that. Especially for travel, those with health problems that mean they struggle with a bigger system or simply those who just prefer small, m43 is great. A friend of mine switched to m43 after a car crash left him with severe and permanent back pain. He would have given up photography had it not been for his little Olympus. He used to shoot wildlife with a D4s and 600mm coupled with lugging around a Gitzo tripod and gimbal. Now the Oly sits with a 100-400 Panny lens on a much smaller tripod or bean bag. He does see the difference, but works with the drawbacks and has loads of fun doing so.

Jason likes this.
  14. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just spent a few minutes laughing at all the negative comments about this camera on dpreview forums. Amazing how many people who still haven’t even seen the camera have written it off. With the exception of the retouching forum there, the rest seem full of old wimmin and fanboys.

Looking more at the specs, I wonder how the new touch bar will work. It could be a great control for any model of camera if it is implemented well. On thing I love about my 7D2 and 5D3 that I really miss on the 80D is the lack of rear dial and joystick if this new input method fills in well it could mean we see more flippy screens without some of the ergonomic drawbacks.

15. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It’s out and looks nice for what it is. The adapter pricing seems quite good too with three different adapters available. Interesting lens launch with it, probably better than Nikon. Also updates to some big whites up blimey, £13,000 for the new 600mm is a lot of green. I wonder how they managed to shave so much weight of the 400 and 600 lenses. Hopefully there is not build quality compromise to do so.

16. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I watched some hands on reviews on YouTube. Photographers in Australia got to use it for 24 hrs in Japan! Mainly positive reviews so far. A lot of complaints about the single memory card slot!

17. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Same as the complaints about the Nikons and yet they are sold out in North America.

18. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I wonder how you sell out of something that is only now in production with initial delivery set for end of September. More FUD?

Mike Singh likes this.
  19. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a friend in the US who has been waiting two months for his D850 to arrive. If Nikon are still struggling to fulfill those I can see why they are “sold out” of newer models.

20. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Also, Canon is handing out "production" copies of their EOS R to reviewers as opposed to the "pre-production" cameras for the Nikon. I think Nikon rushed their announcement to be first where Canon typically does not.

Phill104 and Mike Singh like this.
  21. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is the nub of it for me, I'm very happy with DSLR's. I like the way they handle and work and I can't imagine ever needing better image quality than I currently get with full frame. WYSIWYG is great for many situations but for me the main advantage with mirrorless is the ability to save a ton of weight and still end up with really good image quality and for that to work it needs to be a cropped sensor. Pro 2.8 glass for full frame mirrorless is going to be comparable in weight so the only saving is in the camera body which doesn't amount to much.

I invested in a second system for holidays and hiking / wild camping when weight and also size make a big difference. I can wander about with my X-T2, 18-55 & 55-200 which only weighs 1390g as opposed to my D800, 24-70 & 70-200 weighing in at 3330g that's a saving of 60%. Add to that a lightweight travel pod over a heavy full size pod and my kit weighs less than 3kg instead of 8kg. I still use the FF gear 80% of the time because the results are slightly better but hiking up a mountain is considerably less tiring with the lighter kit and the results aren't different enough to worry about any loss of imafe quality.

If you were srarting from scratch then if an ff mirrorless fulfils all your requirements then that's great, go for it. For those of us who have already invested in good gear there really doesn't seem much reason to change at the moment.

Excuse the slight diversion off topic....

Mike Singh and Phill104 like this.
  22. Blofeld

Blofeld Forum Photobomber Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm a little puzzled by one thing here.... only because it's popped in my head and I've not looked into it. There's a filter hold that sits between the camera body and lens, at first I thought this is a really cool idea.... but then I thought a little more, Would it not just act like an extension tube? How does it work in that position without affecting the lens?

23. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not normaly no. However there are a few features Canon are promising to add by the end of the year via firmware updates. It is a shame those were not added at launch especially as they are quite big features.

24. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It would s for EF lenses only. The mount adapter is there simply to put the rear of the lens at the correct distance from the sensor. Without a mirror, the sensor in the body is substantially closer to the mount. As far as I can tell it is just an electronic pass through from that stand point. So in essence, there are no drawbacks from using any EF lens on this camera. Quite a feat really.

MikeB likes this.
  25. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, in a way it is an extension tube but instead of moving the lens further from the sensor it was designed for (a DSLR with a flange distance of 44mm) and altering the image, it "corrects" the shorter flange distance of the mirrorless R series (20mm) by adding a 24mm extension tube. This means that all lenses made for the EF mount will work normally on the R Series cameras. As a bonus they added a filter bracket and R Series Control Ring as options for the adapters. Expect Sony, Nikon, and third party providers of such adapters to start adding a filter bracket to their adapters as it is a brilliant idea. What's more, a third party manufacturer such as Metabones could provide an adapter to allow the R Series to use Nikon lenses as well. Any lens that requires a flange distance greater than 20mm could theoretically be adapted - this is also true for the Nikon Z Series.

Petrochemist and Mike Singh like this.