• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Carl Zeiss

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have today been given a M42 Carl Zeiss 135mm f3.5 Jenna DDR electric MC S lens, but the aperture blades are stuck wide open .... any idea if this is easily fixed?

BriPriUK

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
With the M42 auto lenses the aperture was only closed by the camera when the shot was taken. There should be a small pin on the mount which will close the blades if you move it, but be careful with it.

Brian P

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes I press the pin and the blades still dont move, there is a slide switch A and M and nothing happens in either position.

Petrochemist

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Oil on the aperture blades would normally just make them move slowly, so I fear it may be corrosion on the blades or a broken linkage instead which is a pain. You'll be reassured to hear sticking aperture blades from broken down oil is a common issue on SZJ Sonnars (& my CZJ Tessar as well).

Removing the glass should be relatively easy & flushing oil of the blades is then simple, (dealing with corrosion or a broken linkage will be much more involved).
It's quite a nice lens but not overly expensive - I think I've collected several CZJ 135/3.5 (not necessarily your precise version) & not paid over £20 for any, most came with cameras.
When shooting digital variable ISO makes it much more practical to use a lens without adjusting the aperture. If you have a lens spanner it's worth having a go - a useful training exercise even if you can't fix the problem.
Flushing the aperture blades with petrol or lighter fluid should remove any oil & may restore operation (try not to get the solvent on the focusing mechanism). I would avoid touching the aperture blades as they are somewhat fragile & very fiddly to remount
As long as you've dismantled systematically you should be able to get all the elements put back OK & if not you can always buy another example with working aperture

The on-line lens database at allphotolenses.com lists the average price for this lens at $145 (way over what I've paid, perhaps I've just been lucky) and has this to say about your specific version:
'And finally, the last, the fifth version of the lens. Its full name is the Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Sonnar MC f3.5 135 electric.
This variant has a better optical characteristics, excellent form factor, and electronically controlled aperture for cameras produced under the Pentacon's brand Praktica. The lens has a good contrast and, if you like, microcontrast. The colors, characteristic and very eye-pleasing, are distinguishable from the colors rendered by other lenses. The sharpness is very good. The lens preserves the maximum of picture details . Besides, such sharpness is almost the same at all aperture values. The bokeh is very nice, smooth and soft. The lens speed f3,5 is quite sufficient for portrait photography. That value must be optimal, as it enables to get a sufficient depth of field, on the one hand, and leaves a nice and correct blurring, on the other.
One very important note - the Sonnar electric of the fifth version with a 4-digit number got a testing composition of the Т* coating. In what follows, this composition was applied to the whole Carl Zeiss line of optics. More than 5, 000 of such testing Sonnars were produced. But they are considered to be the best among the Sonnars for the m42 screw mount.'

Last edited:

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Petrochemist ..... Thanks for your reply, I have taken a couple of shots with it wide open (that's where the blades are stuck) and first impressions are very good, as wide open is probably where I would use this lens the most I think I will leave it as is at the moment and take some images as I promised the person who gave it to me to send them some images ... later on I may open it up ans see if I can cure the problem.

Paul

Petrochemist

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Petrochemist ..... Thanks for your reply, I have taken a couple of shots with it wide open (that's where the blades are stuck) and first impressions are very good, as wide open is probably where I would use this lens the most I think I will leave it as is at the moment and take some images as I promised the person who gave it to me to send them some images ... later on I may open it up and see if I can cure the problem.

Paul
That makes sense
If you can just use it as it is, you can at least be totally confident you won't mess up putting it back together :)