1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Categorising photos in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by spuriosity, Jan 6, 2018.

1. spuriosity

spuriosity Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is nothing groundbreaking but is a decent idea for reminding yourself of your personal methods of classifying photos in Lightroom. http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/panel-end-markers/ :thumbsup:

Whilst we're here, maybe it would be interesting to see how people on here categorise their photos in Lightroom. I'll start...

Red - unedited
    Yellow - partially edited
    Green - final edit
    Purple - exported JPGs
    Blue - snapshots (eg family phots etc)

I tend to save green for final edits of pictures that are actually worth exporting while everything else just stays yellow. I tend to use quick collection to choose the photos I want to edit out of a set and then go back to more later if I have the time/can be bothered. I should really make better use of the star rating system.

2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Personal method is either flagged or rejected, and if something is going to an external application then the colour label is set to red and that's it. I don't really have the mindset to go through categorising everything with different colours and I prefer using smart collections for what's edited, what's not and then keywords for whatever category.

Then with the workflow as it is with the smart collections, the keywords are only written to the picked files and from there I can look for them files in other situations (either metadata aware applications or the operating system environment) without having to fire up Lightroom, load the catalogue and go that way.

3. john.margetts.ph

john.margetts.ph Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do not think I have ever partially edited a photo in my life. It doesn't take so long that it is worth the bother of having WIP messing things up.

Any photo on my computer that has the little icons on the thumbnails or is either JPEG, tiff or PSD is edited so doesn't need flagging as such.

To keep things as simple as I can, I delete most if the rest. I don't keep images I am never going to use.

4. spuriosity

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When I said partial editing, I meant it's either in progress or is an earlier version of the final edit. I will often start or finish a photo in Lightroom after doing the bulk of the editing in Photoshop.

5. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    * done
    ** Keep for Blog or other
    No star....bin heap

6. john.margetts.ph

john.margetts.ph Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That is what I thought you meant. When I edit a photo, I start and finish in one session. I don't stop part way and have partially edited images on my system.

7. spuriosity

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I always find it's better to come back to an image with fresh eyes later or the next day before marking it as complete and publishing

8. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do pick and reject but then give a star when done so I can easily see what I have done and not done with a quick filter.

spuriosity likes this.
  9. Justin Case

Justin Case Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I sell video on stock agencies and use the color labels a lot to keep track of where my clips are in the workflow

10. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    It depends for me. No one's system is right or wrong - just what suits us. My system won't suit most people but it does me.

Red is for stuff that goes on to my website. When I've finished editing and selecting from a day's shoot I'll mark the ones I want uploaded in red and everything else is blank. Then I just pick the red tags, select them all and export them for checking and uploading.

If I'm printing on site on the day then all hell breaks loose! Red is usually for sales but not always. Just depends on the day but usually this is the case. Green is for the customer next to me who can't decide which photo to buy but might want a particular photo. When they've finished selecting I can then find all the greens and put them up on the screen for them to decide on which ones they want to buy (or not as the case maybe). Blue might be for another customer who's coming back later. Yellow for a second customer who's coming back even later or who promised to return earlier.

Then, just to confuse matters entirely, after the day is finished, all the day's sales might be changed to green so that when I edit the day's shoot the ones I want on the website are marked red. All the green ones might then be changed to red ... but then might not be ... as I might select both tags to be uploaded.

However ... ignoring the reds and greens ... ! I give every photograph a few keyword tags so at a later date I can find them quickly - and this for me, is one of the biggest strengths of Lightroom. Selecting a heap of photos, giving them keywords or tags or whatever then having the flexibility of using keywords, colours, stars and so on to find the particular set you want. And added to a quick editing/developing system it makes for a super package.

My only gripe is the cropping tool is quite slow when compared to everything else it can do but I'm happy to live with that.