1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Cokin Filters

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by Larry M, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Larry M

Larry M Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Years ago when I was shooting on film, someone handed me a Cokin filter system which included a filter holder and a few filters. I never really played with them much, but I still have them. What’s your opinion of this system? I know many of you prefer no filters and play with the adjustments in post production. But since I have this, are they worth trying?

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had the Cokin system back in the film days, and I used quite a few of the filters back then. With today's digital systems, most if not all of the coloured filters are not needed.

For instance, I used the red filter to highlight B&W film, the yellow filter to highlight Fujifilm's inherent greens, etc.

Larry M likes this.
  3. Larry M

Larry M Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Yeah that kinda what I thought. It was a lot harder when we were using film. Sometimes, I miss the film days. But the. I remember one year on vacation with my then 9 year-old daughter taking a whole roll of film on buffalos! I don’t miss it much anymore! Haha

Roger S likes this.
  4. fmw

fmw Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Anything a colored filter can do, photo editing software can do better. The only filters you might use today are neutral density, polarizer and clear UV as lens protectors. The neutral density filter can allow you to use longer shutter speeds in bright light for various effects. The polarizer can reduce some reflections. Personally I don't own a ND filter and almost never use a polarizer. I may be in a minority, however.

MikeB likes this.