• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

[COLOR PROFILES] HELP ! I can't choose which color profile to work with

maxgmrt

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this here as I litteraly found no answer to my issue anywhere else.

My camera is a Canon 70D, shooting RAW in sRGB. So no problem here.
However, I have a laptop with a pretty bad screen in terms of colour restitution (a ASUS N552VX, with a TN screen). I think it barely covers sRGB space (don't know the exact specs).
I should also mention that I'm running Windows 10, with a custom color profile (i've used a professional probe to calibrate my screen).

I've noticed that when i edit my pictures, there's always a moment in the process where the colours are changed, due to a stupid colour profile change/mismatch.

In Lightroom, i've set up the "edit in photoshop" to use ProPhoto RGB. When I export TIFFs, I export them in Adobe RGB 1998. Is that a good idea ?
In Photoshop, i'm using ProPhoto RGB, and i've ticked every box that asks me which colour profile i should use when i open a picture. I always hit "prefer the embedded profile" to avoid colour profile conversion.

Also, when I export a picture in Photoshop, it asks me to choose whether I want to integrate the ICC colour profile i've been working with (that is to say ProPhoto RGB). Should I say Yes to that ?

Also, i've noticed that the microsoft "Photos" app doesn't properly handle colour profiles (am I correct ???), So i guess i shouldn't use it too much as a reference.

What do you think of my settings ? Do you think i've done anything wrong ? I'd like to have something consistent over all the software I use to edit my pictures.

I know my post isn't very clear, but if you could give some advice, that would massively help me !!!

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
i recommend working with pro-photo while in your editing software. this gives you the largest colour gamut to work from. Then convert down to sRGB for web or whatever profile you need for the printer.

maxgmrt

Ok ! And if I want to save non compressed TIFF files of my different works, should I also save them in the largest gammut ? Or it doesn't make sense since the photo are taken in sRGB in the camera settings ?

Will saving a adobe rgb TIFF of a sRGB raw modified in LR alter its colours ?

maxgmrt

To be clear, the sRGB is what you see in the preview. The raw file has no colour profile, that is why you can change it.
Very interesting, I didn't know that !
So when I import my RAWs in Lightroom, Lightroom uses its embedded profile (I think it's called Melissa RGB), which has a very large gammut, but what I see on my computer screen is a sRGB preview of it ? What do I actually see, considering my screen has a very narrow gammut (TN screen) ?

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Very interesting, I didn't know that !
So when I import my RAWs in Lightroom, Lightroom uses its embedded profile (I think it's called Melissa RGB), which has a very large gammut, but what I see on my computer screen is a sRGB preview of it ? What do I actually see, considering my screen has a very narrow gammut (TN screen) ?
Lightroom will use what you have configured in Lightroom for the profile, I was talking about the back of your camera. That is what the camera setting is for.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
Your TN monitor is very limited with color presentation. It is unlikely that it provides even 90% of the sRGB color gamut, much less than Adobe RGB and only a fraction of ProPhoto RGB. Typically, TN monitors are also difficult to properly calibrate and do not hold calibration. They simply do not serve well for photo editing.

Like @Ramble Vision, I convert from raw into ProPhoto RGB and do not convert into any other gamut except to produce the final sRGB print file if I'm sending it out to print or to publish on the web.

Adobe RGB is an excellent color gamut but it is not well supported by legacy applications such as the Microsoft Photo viewers, they simply have a new front-end for Win 10. Most browsers have decent color management today and they will show Adobe RGB fine but it is hit and miss for many applications.

Eoanthropus

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this here as I litteraly found no answer to my issue anywhere else.

My camera is a Canon 70D, shooting RAW in sRGB. So no problem here.
Shooting in raw: Raw files have no color space and the sRGB setting is meaningless for your raw file. It is for the camera created JPEG. If you're not using the camera JPEG you can ignore the camera color space setting.

However, I have a laptop with a pretty bad screen in terms of colour restitution (a ASUS N552VX, with a TN screen). I think it barely covers sRGB space (don't know the exact specs).
I should also mention that I'm running Windows 10, with a custom color profile (i've used a professional probe to calibrate my screen).
Good, you have calibrated your display and so a proper display profile is loaded onto your system.

I've noticed that when i edit my pictures, there's always a moment in the process where the colours are changed, due to a stupid colour profile change/mismatch.
Where does that moment occur?

In Lightroom, i've set up the "edit in photoshop" to use ProPhoto RGB. When I export TIFFs, I export them in Adobe RGB 1998. Is that a good idea ?
No. Export your TIFF files (more editing assumed) in the ProPhoto color space. LR's working space is Melissa which is a variant of ProPhoto. Lr forces you therefore to edit in ProPhoto (you can soft-proof to and output color space). LR is right.

In Photoshop, i'm using ProPhoto RGB, and i've ticked every box that asks me which colour profile i should use when i open a picture. I always hit "prefer the embedded profile" to avoid colour profile conversion.
For editing set Photoshop's working color space to ProPhoto. Export TIFF files from LR as ProPhoto and you don't have a conversion problem

Also, when I export a picture in Photoshop, it asks me to choose whether I want to integrate the ICC colour profile i've been working with (that is to say ProPhoto RGB). Should I say Yes to that ?
No, stop sending Adobe RGB TIFF files to PS. If you export an output JPEG from Photoshop convert to the output color space (sRGB) then.

Also, i've noticed that the microsoft "Photos" app doesn't properly handle colour profiles (am I correct ???), So i guess i shouldn't use it too much as a reference.
You are incorrect. The MS Photos app handles color spaces just fine. What it does that violates color management rules is that it fails to read and process your display profile. If you're seeing color problems in Photos that's the cause. MS is wrong and they have chosen to be wrong because they are providing a consumer grade app and assume it will be used by consumer who have no clue what color management is and don't want to know -- MS is right.

What do you think of my settings ? Do you think i've done anything wrong ? I'd like to have something consistent over all the software I use to edit my pictures.
Fix the Adobe RGB export from LR (switch to ProPhoto) and you're good. When you export a JPEG from either LR or PS then you select your output color space (sRGB). LR and PS will both soft proof your image to the output color space for you.

I know my post isn't very clear, but if you could give some advice, that would massively help me !!!