• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Colour not right

Hawthorn

My images look fine when viewed on pse and on the default windows jpg viewer but once I upload them to boots photo printing site the colours change and the resulting photographs look bad. Please can anyone suggest why this might be?

Thank-you

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day mate

If you are okay with the general setup / calibration of your monitor - it is possible that the printshop has their machine set to over-ride & 'auto-fix' various things that they think need fixing. I have been caught before by several Aussie printshops - and now click the extra buttons to say 'do not auto lighten / darken / modify etc. etc.

You might also consider a test where you resubmit the images to both Boots & another printshop and compare the results ~ it is always possible that one printer was out of calibration, and you might find that your pics are 'okay' or needing 'tuning'

Hope this helps
Phil

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
You really need to use a proper calibration device such as a Spyder. It’s a worthwhile investment if you want to print your photos to any decent standard. Tbh, most high street photo printers can be a bit hit and miss anyway. Jessops are about the best of my local shops, Max Speilmann are truly awful.

Can you post a couple of the photos in question in this thread so we can have a look? We can at least let you know if your colour is there or thereabouts.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
My images look fine when viewed on pse and on the default windows jpg viewer but once I upload them to boots photo printing site the colours change and the resulting photographs look bad. Please can anyone suggest why this might be?

Thank-you
As Phil said most likely it is an auto edit issue with the Boots web upload software. In your preferences in your account settings see if there is an option to switch of the auto edit feature. You may have to contact them to find out.

Hawthorn

G'day mate

If you are okay with the general setup / calibration of your monitor - it is possible that the printshop has their machine set to over-ride & 'auto-fix' various things that they think need fixing. I have been caught before by several Aussie printshops - and now click the extra buttons to say 'do not auto lighten / darken / modify etc. etc.

You might also consider a test where you resubmit the images to both Boots & another printshop and compare the results ~ it is always possible that one printer was out of calibration, and you might find that your pics are 'okay' or needing 'tuning'

Hope this helps
Phil
Thank-you Phil that is really useful. I will try another company. I hadn't realised they might have autofixed it but that certainly would explain things.

You really need to use a proper calibration device such as a Spyder. It’s a worthwhile investment if you want to print your photos to any decent standard. Tbh, most high street photo printers can be a bit hit and miss anyway. Jessops are about the best of my local shops, Max Speilmann are truly awful.

Can you post a couple of the photos in question in this thread so we can have a look? We can at least let you know if your colour is there or thereabouts.
Thanks jason. I will try jessops, if I have no luck I'll put some images up here.

Off to Google Spyder now....

As Phil said most likely it is an auto edit issue with the Boots web upload software. In your preferences in your account settings see if there is an option to switch of the auto edit feature. You may have to contact them to find out.
Thanks Mike. I'm going to see if I have the same issue with jessops .

Last edited by a moderator:

Hatter

Always on
Premium Member
Might colourspace also be an issue? (i.e. the Boots software may be assuming a different colourspace to the one used in processing the .jpgs.)

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
You're flying blind without properly calibrating your monitor and simply going from vendor to vendor until someone gets it right isn't the answer either. Contact the vendor that printed the photo and tell them the colors are not correct. They can 1. give your money back; 2. reprint the image; or, 3. review the image and tell you what went wrong. It will likely cost you nothing to work with your vendor to get it right, he has a stake in customer satisfaction.

There are many reasons why a vendor print looks different than what you have on the monitor. Proper calibration of the monitor is the chief reason. However, color gamut chosen (sRGB or Adobe RGB), embedded color profile (some editors or settings don't embed the color profile in the image), vendor icc profiles (some vendors require that the photo use the icc profile for their printers), etc.

Hawthorn

Might colourspace also be an issue? (i.e. the Boots software may be assuming a different colourspace to the one used in processing the .jpgs.)
Thank-you madhatter, I don't know what colourspace means. I will find out...

You're flying blind without properly calibrating your monitor and simply going from vendor to vendor until someone gets it right isn't the answer either. Contact the vendor that printed the photo and tell them the colors are not correct. They can 1. give your money back; 2. reprint the image; or, 3. review the image and tell you what went wrong. It will likely cost you nothing to work with your vendor to get it right, he has a stake in customer satisfaction.

There are many reasons why a vendor print looks different than what you have on the monitor. Proper calibration of the monitor is the chief reason. However, color gamut chosen (sRGB or Adobe RGB), embedded color profile (some editors or settings don't embed the color profile in the image), vendor icc profiles (some vendors require that the photo use the icc profile for their printers), etc.
Hi. I will definitely look into getting my laptop properly calibrated.
When the pictures were uploaded to the Boots website they looked wrong on the order page and this was how they came out printed - more or less.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Hi. I will definitely look into getting my laptop properly calibrated.
When the pictures were uploaded to the Boots website they looked wrong on the order page and this was how they came out printed - more or less.
I've been following but not commenting until now. Personally, I'm on one of my lappys now, but don't do any serious editing until I'm at home. I use an external monitor for final editing and that one is regularly calibrated with my Spyder. I find that the lappy screens are always off kilter, even with using the Spyder on them. (And it's 4 different laptops)

...Off to Google Spyder now....
I hope you have done this. The Spyder is one of my favourite tools.

Last edited:

Hawthorn

I've been following but not commenting until now. Personally, I'm on one of my lappys now, but don't do any serious editing until I'm at home. I use an external monitor for final editing and that one is regularly calibrated with my Spyder. I find that the lappy screens are always off kilter, even with using the Spyder on them. (And it's 4 different laptops)
I did Google Spyder but I'm not in a position to spend that kind of money atm. I'm saving up for a used nikon D700 :) I might put the feelers out and borrow one.

Hawthorn

I've ordered some prints from a company called 'free prints', the images look great on their order page so fingers crossed my prints will be good too. Maybe it was just the Boots software as kindly suggested . I'll update in 5-10 days when they arrive. In the mean time I'm looking into an older (cheaper) spyder calibrator.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
The site did not alter the image when you uploaded it. The reason it looked different is that your browser uses color management and properly displayed the image using the embedded ICC profile or it applied the default sRGB ICC profile. If the colors you saw on their site match the colors they printed for you, the problem is at your end and not at the printer.

Let's assume for the moment that your laptop is showing the correct colors. Elements has very limited 16-bit editing capability, even if you're shooting raw, so you're likely to be converting to 8-bit early in the edit process. Be sure to choose sRGB in the Color Settings dialog box if you're planning to print using a commercial lab. A photo edited as an Adobe RGB image will show wrong colors when displayed as sRGB.

If your monitor (laptop) was properly calibrated and the photo was saved out in the sRGB color space then the photo would look the same on the browser and your application.

If, as we suspect, the laptop requires calibration then every photo you edit will be edited incorrectly. Sending to a different printer will not make a difference.

Some resources:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/setting-color-management.html

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/Photoshop_Elements/color_management/8_color_management_Photoshop_Elements_color_spaces.htm

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/Photoshop_Elements/bit_depth_8_v_16/1_bit_depth_8_v_16.htm

Note: Some inexpensive laptops and monitors will not hold a calibration - they just don't have the capability to adjust the colors to be accurate. If this is the case, then you'll just have to make do until you can upgrade your system or connect to a more capable external monitor.

Hawthorn

Thank-you madhatter. Interesting reading . I've checked my camera and it does not have options to change between sRGB and Adobe colours so I assume it's sRGB anyway?

The site did not alter the image when you uploaded it. The reason it looked different is that your browser uses color management and properly displayed the image using the embedded ICC profile...
Thank-you Mike. I am on a steep learning curve here and your explanations are very helpful. I will have a read through the resources and learn about 8 and 16 bits. My laptop is new and I bought it because it has an ips screen so I can't upgrade yet it's a dell inspiron 5000

Hawthorn

Update: the photos I had printed with 'free prints ' came out pretty similar to what I saw on my screen, so I'm happy. I still have no idea why the Boots ones look wrong but I'll not use them again.

Tenorplayer

Always on
Premium Member
I always stipulate no colour or exposure compensation to be applied when I have shots printed. Then they always comes back as seen on calibrated monitor.
ps. I use "frame lizard" always satisfied.

powly

Always on
Premium Member
Without wishing to hijack this thread, can anyone recommend a good monitor calibration tool?
I have used a Spyder in the past, but it just seemed to turn everything green, so I sent it back.