1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Computer slowing down

Discussion in 'The Computer Clinic Forum' started by Mike Singh, Mar 30, 2017.

1. gpick24

gpick24 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Definitely an advantage, getting a graphics card will free up ram, whether you can add one depends on your motherboard and what's already in there.
    When installing your new ram take care to not damage it with static, best to get an anti static wrist strap, they aren't expensive.

Mike Singh likes this.
  2. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Got a wrist strap coming with my RAM order.

gpick24 likes this.
  3. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    that depends on your pc in terms of what it can support ( slots for the card ) and the power supply inside it being able to give enough power for the card.
    personally im using a laptop with a rather low spec gfx card and have no problems, the ram will certainly make a bigger difference

Mike Singh likes this.
  4. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Dean. This is my power supply.
    Power Supply
    Internal 300W (100V-240V)
    Form factor: Internal ATX
    Total wattage: 300W
    Nominal input voltage range: 200-240V/3A (50-60Hz)
    Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)

5. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I installed the 16Gb RAM and gave to inside of the PC an good clean and dusting out. It was not to dusty. The PC works thank God! Initial testing with LR and PS seems faster. Booting up still taking forever! I will have to consider a SSD drive.

This is what my mother board and power supply looks like.

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

The RAM is on the bottom left. What are those other slots for?

6. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  7. gpick24

gpick24 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    An SSD and the inevitable re-install of windows will sort it but it might only be temporary, I think you should try and find whats causing it otherwise once you start getting your software back installed it may return.
    Have a look in add/remove programs in control panel see if there`s anything in there you don`t recognize.
    Also check your startup items, hold down windows key and press R, in the run box type msconfig, and click the startup tab, untick anything you dont recognize and reboot, see if that improves the boot up time.
    There`s also a diagnostic startup in the general tab, might be worth a try as well, all these are none pemanent so you wont do any harm to your PC.

Mike Singh likes this.
  8. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    3 x pci express x 1 and one pc- express x16 ( the big one), the 16 x is for graphics cards , and the like, the 1x will normally take things like a sound card, wireless card etc.
    you could look at a graphics card however your 300 watt psu might not be enough to run most modern cards as they require alot of power and some a speciific connector.
    the ssd will improve boot times and may open apps quicker but wont have a huge impact of the running of the app once opened as thats where the ram will kick in

Mike Singh likes this.
  9. gpick24

gpick24 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don`t think that PSU will be good enough to run a graphics card, even the budget cards with no fan to power require 20A on the 12V, yours only has 16A.

Mike Singh likes this.
  10. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think u are right. Looking into upgrading the PSU as well.

I had a good session editing between LR and PS and Nik. Things are definitely faster.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  11. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    good to know. the graphics wont make a huge difference, i have both onboard and dedictaed on my laptop and more often than not the dedicated card causes more problems, especially when sing nic, and if i keep the rendering set to software rending ( rather than hardware ) it all runs just fine so unless you really want to spend in excess of £100-150 for a decent graphics card and psu that will make very little difference i think the ram upgrade should suit just fine.

Mike Singh likes this.
  12. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you do go down the dedicated graphics card Mike, PS hated my AMD card, although it was an older card. New laptop with nVidia card no problems at all. If you do install one, make sure PS is using the dedicated graphics card, as it may default to using the onboard graphics, especially when there is a big cc update. Mine did, and had to change it back.

Mike Singh likes this.
  13. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You may have a hard time doing that. On a generic PC it is easy but on a brand name it is often not possible. The case design will often not allow for any other power supply to fit.

Mike Singh likes this.
  14. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Don. I am looking at a PSU that has the same dimensions as an ATX PSU that comes with PCs like mines.

15. Klipp

Klipp New Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    What's your storage like? How much space have you got spare and do you defrag at all?

16. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Loads of space and do regular defrags.