1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Corel Painter

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by Evertking, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Evertking

Evertking Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Does anyone use this or have any experience with it?

2. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am guessing no, but someone may use it.

3. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My office used it but that was years ago. It was always well maintained by Corel and provided an alternative to Photoshop and Lightroom. It has a lot of capabilities and if you are not demanding a lot from Photo editing, it should work well for most.

Evertking likes this.
  4. Jannyfox

Jannyfox Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Do you mean Painter or PaintShop? Painter is digital art s/w (I use the Essentials package for sketching) but PaintShop is for photo editing (I have that too).

Evertking likes this.
  5. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I hated when they bought up Ulead and screwed up the best editor ever made to create the junk they have today. I'm still using Ulead PhotoImpact from before Corel bought them out.

6. Evertking

Evertking Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I guess I am talking about PaintShop. Is it hard to learn? I'm guess a wacom tablet is a must?
    Thanks for the reply

7. Jannyfox

Jannyfox Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Hmmm - not an easy question to answer. I 'grew up' with PaintShop Pro so learning it wasn't an issue. A tablet isn't a must. It depends what you're doing. If you're doing a lot of selecting and masking it's much easier with a tablet than trying to do it with a mouse, but that goes for any photo editing app. Some people love tablets, some people hate them. They do take a bit of getting used to, however if you've done a bit of sketching they're quite intuitive. I use a combination of tablet pen, mouse and keyboard depending on what function I'm using. PaintShop has all the features you need if you're into basic editing, or more complex stuff involving selections, masks, layers etc. How it compares with Photoshop I couldn't tell you as I don't use Photoshop. I suspect Photoshop has more features you'd never need. A couple of things to bear in mind - PaintShop doesn't have the cataloguing functions of Lightroom, but if like me you don't want that functionality it isn't a problem. Also, and probably more important if you're new to PaintShop, there aren't the online tutorials for it that there are for Photoshop, if that's the way you want to learn it. Although PaintShop will do the same things, the tools may have different names and may work in slightly different ways, so though it is possible to use Photoshop tutorials, it can be hard work. Having said that, if you've used any photo editing software and have an idea of how they work, it's not hard to work things out for yourself. I find PaintShop pretty intuitive, but as I said I've been using various versions for nearly 20 years. Best thing is to download the free trial and try to play with it as much as possible.
    Another thing I've just thought of, I don't think the raw interface in PaintShop is upgradable, so if you buy a new camera that isn't supported you'd need to upgrade the whole package rather than just ACW, but for the cost of an upgrade it's no big deal.

Evertking likes this.
  8. Evertking

Evertking Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm not sure if I can post links but I see the work of Daniel doke I think he uses PaintShop but I could bewrong. Just seems like something I would love tolearn as I love to draw also.

9. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Anyone with 5 posts or more can post links.