• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Critique Please

Ceemac

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'd love to have this critiqued from this morning's walk. It was a vintage lens so exif is f3.5 1/4000 ISO 1000 on a Canon 6D
Thanks

IMG_4702b.jpg

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My choice would be to use a lower iso. Shutter speed at 1/4000 is quite fast for more so static object.
That would be my start.

Ceemac

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My choice would be to use a lower iso. Shutter speed at 1/4000 is quite fast for more so static object.
That would be my start.
You're right. I was walking through a dark forest and forgot to change it.

Taboo

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I think the main thing here with your image is the subject isn't particularly sharp. That's obviously not from lack of shutter speed and I doubt even a bad vintage lens would cause that even at F3.5. Adapting vintage lenses to Dslr's is more difficult to get focus than on a mirrorless and takes little to miss a shot. Tripod or something steady to lean on would help maybe.
overall I like the colour and these types of shots that you sometimes see as paintings in galleries.

Ceemac

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think the main thing here with your image is the subject isn't particularly sharp. That's obviously not from lack of shutter speed and I doubt even a bad vintage lens would cause that even at F3.5. Adapting vintage lenses to Dslr's is more difficult to get focus than on a mirrorless and takes little to miss a shot. Tripod or something steady to lean on would help maybe.
overall I like the colour and these types of shots that you sometimes see as paintings in galleries.
The focus is definitely me. The lens is very sharp at the focal length used, But I think I've usually used a tripod. It's funny, but when I think of motion blur, I don't think about me moving forward or backwards and affecting focus. Thanks.

Taboo

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
It's funny, but when I think of motion blur, I don't think about me moving forward or backwards and affecting focus. Thanks.
Exactly. Easily done. I always use back button continuous autofocus as I hardly ever use a tripod. Not perfect but works for me. :grin:

Ceemac

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Exactly. Easily done. I always use back button continuous autofocus as I hardly ever use a tripod. Not perfect but works for me. :grin:
I usually take a monopod with me when i have a heavy lens, but it was such a beautiful morning that I just rushed out.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I feel the settings are fine and am another who uses back button focus as it helps especially with moving subjects. Remember (obviously) that as well as the reed moving you will be too and the depth of focus (the part of the photograph that is sharp) is likely to be measured in millimetres with this shot so it doesn't take much to be out of focus. A narrower aperture (f/8) might help but it probably won't blur the background so much.

Where I think this could be improved upon is to go out and take it again but having a very different background. The object is the reed and *generally* (not always) a good guide is to have the object as the brightest part of the photograph. The background in your image is much brighter and is grabbing the eye's attention too much and the busy-ness of the background is also dragging the eye away from the subject. Using a non-white background will also help pick out the white on the reed.

You're also at 90 degrees to the sun here and I feel if it was coming more over your shoulder or behind you then that will help put more light on the reed head so this might require going out at a different time of the day.

I suggest you take quite a few shots, some at a higher f stop and then hopefully 2-3 will be in good focus and if you use some post processing software to sharpen the image accordingly and alter other aspects of the photograph as required you should see quite an improvement.