• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Crossing the Lower Salt River

Renee Lund

Account Closed
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Springtime at the Lower Salt River is the time of year that draws the wild horses to their favorite watering spot. They also love to feed on gorgeous green eel grass. Here is a photo that captured 4 wild horse bands crossing the river at different spots along the river bank. There are 3 bands pretty easily to see but the 1 that is lead by a couple of dark bay colored horses are still just emerging from the trees along the waters edge. Posting here may be more difficult to see as the photo is pretty small.

Find me on Instagram: @reneelund_2

Wild Crossing the Lower Salt River 1.jpeg

Last edited:

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful area and nice shot.

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Lovely shot.
Is this off of the Bush Hwy? I have been wanting to go and see if we can find the Mustangs.

Renee Lund

Account Closed
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Lovely shot.
Is this off of the Bush Hwy? I have been wanting to go and see if we can find the Mustangs.
Take AZ hwy 87 (N Beeline Hwy) to N Bush Hwy to Coon Bluff Rd.

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I could ride my bicycle there, about 12 miles from home. Looks like I have a weekend project.

Renee Lund

Account Closed
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I could ride my bicycle there, about 12 miles from home. Looks like I have a weekend project.
Perfect timing with the water levels up and the horses still crossing and the green eel grass coming back for them to eat. Morning is best I find with less folks around and having it more to yourself for a short time. We normally got there about 0800 being it was just getting good light but now that it's lighter earlier I would say by 0700. Best place we found was park at the paved parking lot and walk about just under a mile east on the trail. Anywhere in that stretch is good. You get your exercise walking in all that river rock and sand. It's also beautiful to get them with the cactus landscape with all the different colors of green. Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Perfect timing with the water levels up and the horses still crossing and the green eel grass coming back for them to eat. Morning is best I find with less folks around and having it more to yourself for a short time. We normally got there about 0800 being it was just getting good light but now that it's lighter earlier I would say by 0700. Best place we found was park at the paved parking lot and walk about just under a mile east on the trail. Anywhere in that stretch is good. You get your exercise walking in all that river rock and sand. It's also beautiful to get them with the cactus landscape with all the different colors of green. Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.
Thank you,
I have been to that parking lot a few years ago, did exactly as you describe. It is a lovely walk,
but my concerns were for the "residence" living there, me stomping thru with 5k worth of camera gear.
Concerns me mildly. I will give it a look, maybe I will have luck on my side this time.

Renee Lund

Account Closed
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Thank you,
I have been to that parking lot a few years ago, did exactly as you describe. It is a lovely walk,
but my concerns were for the "residence" living there, me stomping thru with 5k worth of camera gear.
Concerns me mildly. I will give it a look, maybe I will have luck on my side this time.
I am deathly afraid of the slithering residents there and I even saw squiggly lines drawn in the sand but that was in last September. There are plenty of folks out there right now that would probably point you in the right direction. PLUS they have been supplement feeding them in an area closer to the front of the range near the beginning of Coon Bluff Rd. You will probably see cars parked at the gates on the righthand side of that road. If you walk through those gates (they are not locked so just push as they are made for that) and walk east you will start seeing lots of horse "apples" and then horses. This area is not in the heavily treed area its in more open very few trees landscape. The more often you go the better for finding the horses. Good Luck!

Renee Lund

Account Closed
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I am deathly afraid of the slithering residents there and I even saw squiggly lines drawn in the sand but that was in last September. There are plenty of folks out there right now that would probably point you in the right direction. PLUS they have been supplement feeding them in an area closer to the front of the range near the beginning of Coon Bluff Rd. You will probably see cars parked at the gates on the righthand side of that road. If you walk through those gates (they are not locked so just push as they are made for that) and walk east you will start seeing lots of horse "apples" and then horses. This area is not in the heavily treed area its in more open very few trees landscape. The more often you go the better for finding the horses. Good Luck!
Here is a look at the temporary feeding area for reference.....
DSC_0980-Edit.jpegDSC_0986-Edit.jpeg