1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Damaged CF Card

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by GarryN, Nov 14, 2017.

1. GarryN

GarryN Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    someone has managed to snap a pin off a card reader which is now stuck in the CF card.

Anyone had this happen, how did you get the pin out. If it can't be removed is there anyone who could retrieve the info off the card, it's Sandisc, could they do it, any idea of cost?

2. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    CF is fairly easy to work with compared to SD for basic recovery providing it is just a snapped pin.

I guess a very fine drill bit and a press as last resort could be used to carefully drill out the offending pin.

I'll have a look for you if there are no other takers, it's essentially IDE so the card can be opened and patched on to a bus as the final resort.

I've done a few failed USB drives recently so I'll gladly have a look mate, but I'm not a professional at data recovery.

3. GarryN

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cheers Andy, it's not my card. Am asking on behalf of someone at work who I don't know but posed the question on our intranet

4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Take it to a jewellery shop or purchase a set of jewellery tweezers, they are fairly inexpensive.

5. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have pulled out a broken pin on them. It's fiddly, but if you can get hold with tweezers, they usually come straight out.

6. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. Activ8

Activ8 I made the 1,000,000 th post

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have had this happen in the past due to a cheap card reader leaving a couple of pins in the card. The first I got out using a needle to prise the pin up a little and then used tweezers to pull it out. The second one was in flush so soldered a bit of fine wire (fuse wire) to the top of the pin with a needle nosed soldering iron (don't heat it too much or you melt the plastic) and pulled it out.

8. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I expect some people are reading this and hoping it doesn't happen to them - I'll recommend a brilliant card reader that has excellent guides, you would have a real job on your hands to damage a card with the linked Calumet Pro reader, I've used the same one for eight years and I'm not particularly careful, I just wiggle it in the slot, push and hope for the best :shocked:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/calumet-cf-usb-3-0-pocket-pro-readerwriter-1632885/

9. GarryN

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks all, will pass the info on