• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Dashcams

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Driving on an unlit very dark section of the A21 in Kent at night during the week I came round a bend only to encounter a 4WD driving without lights on, about 30mph :confused:. How I avoided rear ending it was a miracle. When I thought about it later, if I had gone into the back of him/her, it would only be my word against the other car that no lights in that car were on, and I would have hit her in the rear, putting the liability on me. (There are also no cameras in this stretch)
So, back to the thread title, can anyone recommend a dash cam - my sat nav gives me speed camera alerts, so wouldn’t probably need that, although a good ‘night vision’ on the cam would be useful, not sure if GPS is essential(unless it can accurately pin point an accident location if it happened) I do have a power socket on the front control panel of the car to power it from. Not really sure what to buy
Thanks
Brian

JAH-WAR

Always on
Premium Member
Good question. I've been considering a dash cam for a while too but just have never committed.

I am, however, prone to bouts of extreme road rage so it may be a bit of double edged sword for me:D

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
I've got a Nextbase. Bought it from Halfords. Does the job and the footage, day or night, is fine. I'll get the part number later when I'm back home.

I've thought for quite a while now that dashcams should be a legal requirement in all vehicles and part of the MOT.

Jason

Always on
Premium Member
I am, however, prone to bouts of extreme road rage so it may be a bit of double edged sword for me:D
I saw a lorry very badly overtaking a cyclist a few weeks back. The idiot driving the lorry was yapping on his phone. I looked at the footage on the dashcam, nice and clear recording of the driver and also audio of me beeping my horn and shouting 'get off your fu****g phone you t**t.' :)

You can upload dashcam footage to Police websites.

SFTphotography

Old Hand
I've thought for quite a while now that dashcams should be a legal requirement in all vehicles and part of the MOT.
I know why someone might say this but for me I feel it’s all a bit “1984 by George Orwell” so I’ll resist Telematics and Dash Cams for as long as I possibly can.

Like Drones I find the concept of them deeply disturbing and don’t particularly want to be recorded in the act of driving.

JAH-WAR

Always on
Premium Member
I saw a lorry very badly overtaking a cyclist a few weeks back. The idiot driving the lorry was yapping on his phone. I looked at the footage on the dashcam, nice and clear recording of the driver and also audio of me beeping my horn and shouting 'get off your fu****g phone you t**t.' :)

You can upload dashcam footage to Police websites.
Aye, for reasons I wont go into on here, I have a real hatred for folk using mobiles while driving. There's just no excuse for it nowadays with bluetooth being standard in many vehicles and it's cheap as chips to buy a kit if it's not fitted.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
I cannot make any recommendations, however- I can say I have lost to my own insurance co when backing up and hitting a speeding truck with no lights on.
Deductable paid the near 4k damage to mine and whatever to his.
They raised my payment and I dropped them.
A rear cam could have helped me, as where I was there were no cameras.

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
I can not recommend any of these as I know nothing about them. But if you look on the websites
Mymemory.co.uk
7dayshop.com
You will get some idea.

yasser

Here a lot
I haven't been on here for a while but lurking in the background over the past couple of months. Back to topic... I have dash cams on all our vehicles now and they have saved me a couple of times and paid for themselves. i've linked to a couple of clips, the first was me about to turn right into a garage so i was on the line. The chap that hit me claimed that i drove into him. after seeing the clip his insurance told him to accept the claim. The second clip is the worst. Just watch my driving and speed for 3mins.

SFTphotography

Old Hand
It's always weird seeing driving on the opposite side from an American point of view.
You get used to it - I drive as many miles, if not more so in Europe where they drive on the right as I do here where we drive on the left.

Their system is better because if you drive a manual car you’re changing gear with the right hand when the left leg is depressed on the clutch. Here the left leg is also depressed when you change with left hand. This is a slightly more awkward motion.

We should have adopted the US/European way a long time ago - too late now though. There is one plus about a right hand drive car abroad - when you park up you alight onto the pavement rather than into the path of traffic.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
I haven't been on here for a while but lurking in the background over the past couple of months. Back to topic... I have dash cams on all our vehicles now and they have saved me a couple of times and paid for themselves. i've linked to a couple of clips, the first was me about to turn right into a garage so i was on the line. The chap that hit me claimed that i drove into him. after seeing the clip his insurance told him to accept the claim. The second clip is
The sound track in the first is ominous. What was the outcome from the 2nd?

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
I fitted a nextbase to my wife’s car 6 months ago and my daughters car yesterday. They work really well but you need to consider how much windscreen you have available. My daughter only has a small car. From the driving position the camera is great as it is obscured by the mirror. From the passenger seat it is annoying, especially as she is a learner so I prefer best visibility possible. On the wife’s car there is plenty of room so it is less of an issue.

I would highly recommend using a hardwire kit. All you do is find a fuse that is only on when the ignition is on. You pull it out and insert a little adapter that has 2 fuse slots, one for the original fuse and one for the dash cam. You then feed the wire from the fuse box through the pillar trim and under the root trim to the cam. This way you don’t have a silly wire dangling to you cigarette lighter socket. That and the cam switches on with the ignition. Takes about 15mins to fit in most cars.

yasser

Here a lot
What was the outcome from the 2nd?
there was a bit of arguing at the roadside and they had to review their camera (i wasn't allowed to view) then said it was a mistake, it should have been another vehicle, but even the traffic in front of me were not doing 37 and the vehicles behind me (i was in a queue of traffic) were doing my speed so i think they were just chancing their arm. I didn't get a ticket but for the dashcam i could have.

gaelldew

Always on
Premium Member
Good question. I've been considering a dash cam for a while too but just have never committed.

You and me both mate, mainly for me because I still drive too fast, am rather impatient LOL. Should have had one the other week when this stupid woman ( in a drophead Audi) swerved out from behind another car right over onto my side, fortunately I was lowering the speed coming up to a roundabout.
@yasser I agree with Mike about the diabolical music. LOL.

balami

Always on
Premium Member
there was a bit of arguing at the roadside and they had to review their camera (i wasn't allowed to view) then said it was a mistake, it should have been another vehicle, but even the traffic in front of me were not doing 37 and the vehicles behind me (i was in a queue of traffic) were doing my speed so i think they were just chancing their arm. I didn't get a ticket but for the dashcam i could have.
That's really worrying that they could make such a mistake. I'd have lodged a formal complaint.

yasser

Here a lot
who do you think they would have believed? don't forget, they said that they had made a mistake so thats all it would have gone down as but it has changed my view on things....

@yasser I agree with Mike about the diabolical music. LOL.
Thats just what was playing at the time....some sort of movie soundtracks i think but quite apt at the time

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day fellas

In Oz we have plenty to choose from with BlackVue being very popular. I have their HD model of 2k pixels 1920 x 1080 or close to that with the 'usual' 135 degree lens system to see all across the front of the vehicle. Pretty useless for numberplate recognition though unless the other vehicle is quite close.

Here's a typical snap from a video ...
The vehicle on the left was overtaking me and the white car ahead was the usual safe-spacing-in-traffic distance in front of me

Rocky-01B.jpg

Many rear-window systems have a 60 degree angle of vision and provide a better chance for number plate recognition if ever needed

The 32gb card will cover 6 hrs of recording before being overwritten again.
ps- the newer 4k video systems are obviously better, with a 32gb card doing from 30 minutes to 60 minutes before being overwritten

Hope this helps
Phil

Tenorplayer

Always on
Premium Member
I was given a Tendak FHD 1080p as a gift and have had nothing but trouble with it, always crashing ( the camera not the car)

Pete.Bony

I use a Nextbase 312 dash cam. I used to use a "cheap and cheerful" one from e-bay but it really did leave a lot to be desired. The Nextbase one I simply can't fault - The video quality is good for both day and night and it has GPS and Speed embedded in the video.
It really did pay for itself yesterday when a stupid woman tried to squeeze in from a filter lane and side swiped me. She started off trying to argue that I was speeding but when I told her to call the police as I had everything on dashcam with the speed she backed off and admitted full liability. As it turned out there was nothing more than a slight scratch on my motor (You would not notice it unless you were told it was there) but it made a mess of her front wing.
Here's the unedited footage, the important bit is from 0:48 to 1:30 - Please excuse the language, I was not happy about being side swiped by this stupid little lady.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
I haven't been on here for a while but lurking in the background over the past couple of months. Back to topic... I have dash cams on all our vehicles now and they have saved me a couple of times and paid for themselves. i've linked to a couple of clips, the first was me about to turn right into a garage so i was on the line. The chap that hit me claimed that i drove into him. after seeing the clip his insurance told him to accept the claim. The second clip is the worst. Just watch my driving and speed for 3mins.
Did you get that outrageously pith taking speeding claim over turned?
Edit. Seen the further replies.I think "chancing their arm" is being kind. Fraudulently trying to rob you is more accurate.

I am also thinking of a dash cam.
I think good quality footage is essential, and after seeing that second clip maybe gps is too!
Good night performance also is essential.
Trouble is you can spend most of your life reading reviews etc!

Last edited:

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
I use a Nextbase 312 dash cam. I used to use a "cheap and cheerful" one from e-bay but it really did leave a lot to be desired. The Nextbase one I simply can't fault - The video quality is good for both day and night and it has GPS and Speed embedded in the video.
It really did pay for itself yesterday when a stupid woman tried to squeeze in from a filter lane and side swiped me. She started off trying to argue that I was speeding but when I told her to call the police as I had everything on dashcam with the speed she backed off and admitted full liability. As it turned out there was nothing more than a slight scratch on my motor (You would not notice it unless you were told it was there) but it made a mess of her front wing.
Here's the unedited footage, the important bit is from 0:48 to 1:30 - Please excuse the language, I was not happy about being side swiped by this stupid little lady.
I thought your language was rather restrained.
What is the throbbing sound through the video, from your engine?

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Not being funny Pete, but if you knew she was going to do that, why not just let her? It’s just not worth the stress of an argument, the cost of insurance etc.

Pete.Bony

In reply to "trenchy" - I'm not sure why it made my engine sound like that on tick over as my engine runs very smoothly. (Edit: I have just listened to the video and it might be something off the Pink Floyd CD I had on the stereo.)
In reply to Phil - While I was pretty sure she was going to do it I thought she would have enough common sense to just drop back from the filter lane (A turn right only filter lane) she was in rather than come from behind me and then cut like she did, especially as I had my hand on the horn giving her ample warning and time to avoid the collision. Let's face it, it's not as if mine is a small motor that you're not going to notice when you're right along side it in a little VW Polo.

Last edited:

yasser

Here a lot
Did you get that outrageously pith taking speeding claim over turned?
Edit. Seen the further replies.I think "chancing their arm" is being kind. Fraudulently trying to rob you is more accurate.

I am also thinking of a dash cam.
I think good quality footage is essential, and after seeing that second clip maybe gps is too!
Good night performance also is essential.
Trouble is you can spend most of your life reading reviews etc!
When i got my first dash cam i was very lucky with the quality of the picture, i really do think it is pot luck with what you get. If you look at my first clip and stop the video when a car is passing you can read the number plate, with the second clip you can't. On the first clip i was using a cheap cam (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-New-Mini-0801s-Car-DVR-HD1080P-GPS-Dash-cam-Camera-Free-P-G-Hard-wire-Kit/231145247255?hash=item35d1549217:g:ivIAAOxyBPZTgzjJ:rk:7:pf:0) on the second i was using a next base g512 which was supposed to be the bees knees. I've now gone back to an updated version of the mini 0801.