• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Decent monitor around £200?

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
My Dell UltraSharp has completely died now and the benq I have is useless for editing.
So looking for a monitor 27" or above that will calibrate and show the full colour gamut and range of black to white.
What's available these days?

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Also interested in that answer...……….:)

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I don't know if it's still in production or has been bumped for something newer but you could have a look for the HP 27w. Personally I prefer it's smaller sibling (due to desk space) and the only real grumble on it is the stand gets a lot of fluff dust; I think there was also a 32" version as well.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I was contemplating one of these ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD 32 Inch IPS WQHD a while back been saved in my basket since. The specs looked good for photo editing but it needs more space than I have on my desk.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Currently my top contender based on what's available and reviews is another dell UltraSharp but nearly double the budget. Still less than half the price the reviews think we should pay for their recommended benq.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Currently my top contender based on what's available and reviews is another dell UltraSharp but nearly double the budget. Still less than half the price the reviews think we should pay for their recommended benq.
I love my ultra sharp and would have suggested getting another but a 27" would be way outside your £200ish range.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The Dell Ultrasharp have such a good reputation that they can keep the price up. I have one, have for 8 years or so. I picked up a cheap and used BenQ yesterday just a 24 inch, but now I have 3 24 inch monitors. The Dell is the best but the BenQ may be better than the Samsung. All are calibrated. I do need a 3 way arm mount to get them off my desk.

Scratch

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I would bite the bullet and go for another Dell Ultrasharp. They take some beating!

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
tried calibrating this Benq PoS I have tonight because it gets a decent review on TFT central. Measuring it is WAAAAAAY off. The bar graph is pretty much maxed out on every one! . Either the Lacie Blue is broken now or it's carp.
On the photofriday page, which I always use as a good indication of the brightness contrast, I just could not see ABC or XYZ, all one tone.
Calibration error'd at setting the grey every time.
Out of interest I selected the profile that I set up with the lacie Blue Eye some time ago for the Dell ultrasharp and now could easily see all 26. Except greys look distinctly pink to me! I've colour picked them in PS and they are deffo meant to be grey.
Full gutsfull!

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
For a quality IPS monitor that can be calibrated and maintain that calibration longest, £200 seems far below today's market prices. Instead of having the budget determine what you're looking for, establish your requirements and budget yourself for the least expensive one.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
So for an intermediate level photographer like me is this good?
Dell U2415 24" IPS Full HD Monitor
I want a wide gammout, Adobe RGB and calibratable. Reliable to.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I’m also looking at this:
BenQ SW240 Review: 1920×1200 IPS Adobe RGB Professional Monitor

I was contemplating one of these ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD 32 Inch IPS WQHD a while back been saved in my basket since. The specs looked good for photo editing but it needs more space than I have on my desk.
So what monitor did you end up getting?

Any thoughts on this one:

I got this one yesterday. Waw just Waw! Impressive colours straight out of the box. It has a detailed contrast brightness and RGB adjustments menus. I calibrated with Colour Munki and it just warmed up the tones a bit.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
hmm. Thought I'd updated this.

In the end I went for a Dell U2719D 27 Inch UltraSharp. I also took the opportunity to tidy up the desk and got a dual arm monitor thingybob like in the pic below. I had to move the desk away from the wall a little but now I have a lot more space and convenience.

I got the monitor and set it all up and i STILL had the extremely annoying black screen issue a lot of people seem to suffer.

So I said in a more vicious sounding John Cleese voice "Right, that's it!" and bought a new graphics card (MUCH research required as ALL seem to have the same reports) but in the end got a HP Nvidia Quadro P620 2GB Graphics Card. The card it was replacing was a 4GB one so potentially a downgrade but I was at gutsfull point.
Look again at that name: HP Nvidia Quadro P620 2GB Graphics Card
I saw that but didn't quite get it, it's an Nvidia card. Que?

Well when it came I saw why. Blurb blathering on about ONLY for HP machines (mine is Dell) warranty void, blah, blah blah.

Sod this, get me some drivers... <Long story involving mostly error laden trial cut short> Eventually I got it all working.

Right, let's get some youtube up (100% reliably made the old one black out) Oooh. might be OK. Never counting my chickens as usually my chickens would be injected with Covid19, bit more testing other things that made it black out.... OH MY GOD IT'S BLOODY FIXED
I only put up with it blacking out for many years...

Anyway, the reward for those made it this far is tonight I thought, oh I wonder, lets pull up the photo friday page.
I could NEVER get ABC and XYZ to not be a solid block. Pulled it up on the shiny Dell. All tones beautifully distinct. Good old Dell.
Hmm. wonder if the other one is still sh*te.
Nope I can see every tone there too!! I've not fiddled with it since ditching the carp graphics card!

So much anger created by one card for so long!

I also bought a SpyderX Pro too with the monitor or maybe the graphics card so I could calibrate both screens.
I really must open the box and see if it works!

1597775558063.png

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Generally, a company will license the design of a card and then put whatever tweaks they think necessary on it; bit of a pain in the **** as whilst most of the time whatever tweaks are done are an improvement over reference, other times (XFX spring to mind here) can make a good card bad.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Gosh @tenchy what a polava! That’s why I leave the PC hardware to the experts as it’s all to complicated for me!

Your monitor should be great! It’s got 99% sRGB coverage. I calibrate mine with a colormunki and it just warmed up the display a bit.

Does your graphics card have software that allows display calibration? If so switch of any auto HD type options as it will adjust the saturation and shadows for the gamers.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Generally, a company will license the design of a card and then put whatever tweaks they think necessary on it; bit of a pain in the **** as whilst most of the time whatever tweaks are done are an improvement over reference, other times (XFX spring to mind here) can make a good card bad.
Also, HP plays with their BIOS more than any other of the major manufacturers out there. It would not surprise me if they played with the BIOS of the card as well. We deal with HP BIOS issues all the time at work, more than any the only upside for us is they are official partners of ours and work with us.

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank God you've gotten it sorted.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Does your graphics card have software that allows display calibration? If so switch of any auto HD type options as it will adjust the saturation and shadows for the gamers.
Dunno, will have to look when I eventually calibrate the screens

Thank God you've gotten it sorted.
Well I paid for the bits!

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I came across some stupid money ones when I was looking.!

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have just bought a Dell 24" monitor from Currys (SE2419HR). The shelf price was £129, but the cashier said their computer price was £99. So a bit of a saving, and so far very pleased with it, it's attached to my Dell Vostro laptop...:)

iknowgungfu

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I keep looking at monitor store pages with a nervous look. I just upgraded my PC and quite fancy upping screen resolution. Trouble is I like tinkering wiht photos but I also play games on my PC and hook up consoles too. Monitors these days seem to be marketed for either fast framerate/response time gaming or professional editing - not both.

A manchild such as myself can dream...