• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Just Sharing Deep Space Astro Imaging

Z3roCool

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi there, something I have recently got into and thought I would share some of my work so far.

All these images are many hours of exposure time (Around 3-4 hours) stacked together to allow the image to be stretched to show the details of the Nebula (Without showing too much noise). Some Astro Imagers put 20-30 hours imaging time into one target!

The below images have been reduced significantly in quality for forum rules so show more noise and less detail to originals.

The Trifid Nebula - Located in Sagittarius around 5200 Light Years from Earth.

The Heart Nebula - Lies some 7500 light years away from Earth and is located in the Perseus Arm of the Galaxy in the constellation Cassiopeia.

Rho Ophiuchi is a multiple star system in the constellation Ophiuchus, around 358 Light Years from Earth.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Fascinating. A friend of mine just recently dropped a bundle on equipment solely for the purpose of astro photography. There's a whole new universe out there not visible to the causal glance.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice work. However, I am unable to interpret it due to my ignorance. What sort of equipment is required to photograph these ?

Z3roCool

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice work. However, I am unable to interpret it due to my ignorance. What sort of equipment is required to photograph these ?
Hi Mike, Initially I used my Canon 7D and 400mm lens. The only additional item was a tracking mount. I put a fair bit into this to future proof me. The camera then mounts the tracker and rotated at the speed the Earth rotates keeping the stars in the same position. This allows you to take long exposures to get the detail, I do 5-10min exposures and then stack 20-30 of these to get rid of noise etc. That is pretty much the basics of it.

Fascinating. A friend of mine just recently dropped a bundle on equipment solely for the purpose of astro photography. There's a whole new universe out there not visible to the causal glance.
Yep, it is a slippery slope Since my initial setup I have now bought a dedicated Astro camera that shoots mono images and you add filters that pick up certain data such as Hydrogen Alpha. Every image I take reminds me how insignificant my problems are.

Jannyfox

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
What you actually have in the first image is M8 (up/left of centre) NGC6559 (up/right of centre) and the Trifid M20 is the small one below/left of centre. You've not picked up much of the reflection nebula associated with the Trifid. Is it a luminence/narrowband image or just the colour palette you've used?
Last image you have as well as Rho Oph (left) IC4603 (the greyish bit left of centre), IC4605 (lower centre) globular NGC6144 (small one right of centre) and M4 the big globular up and right). You probably know all that but for the benefit of others and because I have far too much time on my hands.....................

Z3roCool

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
What you actually have in the first image is M8 (up/left of centre) NGC6559 (up/right of centre) and the Trifid M20 is the small one below/left of centre. You've not picked up much of the reflection nebula associated with the Trifid. Is it a luminence/narrowband image or just the colour palette you've used?
Last image you have as well as Rho Oph (left) IC4603 (the greyish bit left of centre), IC4605 (lower centre) globular NGC6144 (small one right of centre) and M4 the big globular up and right). You probably know all that but for the benefit of others and because I have far too much time on my hands.....................
I love running these through Plate solving and seeing what is actually on there :) Thanks for the further info.

The Triffid is a Narrowband Image taken with Ha, SII and OIII.

Not able to image at the moment as broken my mount (Adjustment bolts are bent and seized up). Typical that the sky is clear for the longest time in ages!