• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Disaster averted

Grumpy John

Here a lot
Last Friday while replacing the CMOS battery I accidentally knocked one of my external HDD's on to the floor, it just so happened to be the one that contains ALL my documents, music, videos and photos. When I restarted my computer it was with fingers crossed that I tried to access drive E:, nothing, nada, zilch. All attempts to access the drive were in vain, it was dead. Off to Officeworks to buy a new 4Tb external HDD.

This is where I am so glad that I have a solid backup routine.
All my pictures get backed up to an external HDD (B) on even numbered days.
All my documents, music and videos get backed up to an external HDD (Z) on odd numbered days.
C drive gets backed up to (Z) twice a month.
For my docs, photos, music and vids I do a full backup followed by 9 differential backups, then a new full backup is done. All this happens automatically and is set to happen at either 1:00 AM, or 3:00 AM depending on which files are being backed up.

For by backup routine I use Acronis True Image (2106), and after this weekends adventure I cannot recommend it highly enough. The restoration of all my files went smoothly and finished at around 1:00 AM today (no I didn't stay up to celebrate). I had to do it in two steps, first I restored my photos, then I restored my documents, music and videos. This took a very long time as I have 571Gb/38,270 files in my pictures folder, and a total of 853Gb/47,103 files in my documents, music and videos folder.

Happy to say all my files are back on my new drive and can be accessed.

The point of my post is to make everyone aware of just how easy it is to lose your data and to have a good, reliable backup plan in place.

Grumpy John

Here a lot
So happy that I was able to recover everything.
I really need to have a good cleanup/cull of my photos and documents.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
The other lesson to be learned here is never do any "mechanical" work on the same worksurface as you keep critical stuff. The amount of phone calls I get from folk who say "Well, I was upgrading X (disk, graphics card or whatever) and I knocked Y (externals, monitors, printers, etc) on the floor / kicked a pot of tea in to it, can you fix it?" is rather regular.

Glad to hear you managed to salvage the data.

Grumpy John

Here a lot
The other lesson to be learned here is never do any "mechanical" work on the same worksurface as you keep critical stuff. The amount of phone calls I get from folk who say "Well, I was upgrading X (disk, graphics card or whatever) and I knocked Y (externals, monitors, printers, etc) on the floor / kicked a pot of tea in to it, can you fix it?" is rather regular.

Glad to hear you managed to salvage the data.
Yes, a valuable lesson learnt. I had 3 external HDD's sitting on the case, things could have been much worse if I had lost my backup drive as well :shocked:.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Yes, a valuable lesson learnt. I had 3 external HDD's sitting on the case, things could have been much worse if I had lost my backup drive as well .
Well could have been! I've booted stuff off my desk before when doing things, but it's never the critical stuff (touch wood), though I've learned through other people's (bad) experiences...

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.
Indeed! Which looking at my desk this morning, I've really got to have a bit of a tidy or something will go down to the deck as I've had the prototyping head on and the infestation of cables (there's at least 250 of different lengths connecting stuff up) is getting a bit annoying.