• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Do you feel safe............................

cathjoll

Here a lot
Premium Member
...................................going out photographing at night?
I'm sure that the phenomenon of young gangs roaming city streets is not isolated to my part of the world (Melbourne, Australia) and that the mainstream press love to make a big deal out of such behaviour, it has certainly changed my togging habits. I used to love going in to the CBD and doing night shoots, both on my own and with friends, but I have not done so for about five years now, personal safety being my main concern.
As this is truly a global forum I was wondering what other members of our community feel about going out at night pursuing our hobby. Do you feel safe, is street violence not a problem where you live?
Having recently had the pleasure of visiting Brisbane in Queensland, I have to say that I felt safer wandering round there with my cameras than I do at home here in Hereford (England). One of the last early mornings I went out with my camera here, I was followed by two drunk homeless looking chaps and was worried my camera might be paying for their next pint. Luckily for me, as they were half cut they couldn't walk as fast as me so I made a hasty retreat to my car without incident. I rarely go out alone early in the morning or late at night here now.

RobertG

...................................going out photographing at night?

Something I used to do when going out at night was to keep a flash (metz 45-ct5 or Vivitar 286) charged in my camera bag as a way of blinding/disorienting someone - never had to use it, but glad it was there. Also kept my bag on my shoulder - was a photojournalist at the time.

skyhawk

When I lived in Devon 4 years ago it was in the paper about a chap in daytime who was mugged and all his gear stolen

I have NEVER gone out alone anywhere

I was shooting at Blackpool on the beach years ago with a Pentax 645 when a group of (sorry) yobs started towards me from abou 100' away, I was then a single father of three disabled sons in the car, I packed up quick and went back.

Also being Autistic, I don't mix well

bobspez

Where I live in a NJ, USA suburb, there's nothing worth photographing at night except sunsets and the moon, and I can do that from my front yard. Also the mosquitos are murder in the summer after dark.

Grumpy John

Here a lot
It's such a shame that a small, isolated number of knobs can influence the way we choose to pursue our hobby.

Last edited:

skyhawk

It is no better in daylight, three years ago I was called a pedofile for taking photographs of SURFERS by a parent on the beach, LOUDLY

Yes these shots, but I was shouted at that I should NOT be taking photographs when children are about, because of the people all looking I later left

bobspez

It's a different world. It's been years since my daughter asked me not to post pics of the grandchildren on public forums or my public web page or my flickr account. It's OK to put them on facebook because that is supposedly only open to "facebook friends". I wouldn't want to give anyone the impression I am taking their picture without permission. Luckily I don't travel as I'd have to be quite careful with my equipment and subject matter. As a younger person it wouldn't have even occurred to me. But as a person in his 70's, I'm not looking to engage in any public altercations or arguments.

skyhawk

I remember taking photographs at my sons school plays 20 years ago, try doing that today? and when they went swimming

Yet what still amazes me are the number of morons who still allow their VERY young children to walk naked on beaches ?????

It is NOt the person with the DSLR and tele lens that is a concern it is the possible phone users and users of miniature cameras

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
I was walking to work and found a toddler going the other way. No sign of parents but I hesitated and the kid was hit by a car. Luckily just the mirror but it freaked me out. The mother came around the corner and flew at me. I'm afraid I lost it, mostly shock I suppose but never again will i hesitate no matter what the outcome.
I don't go to many events now unless asked to shoot but have never been accosted by anyone apart from a Greek copper when I shot him and was asked to delete it. No argument, he had a big gun that was very persuasive.
Have never felt unsafe anywhere but that might be ignorance on my part but would never shoot in public if people asked me not too, it's not that important just for a photo.

Grumpy John

Here a lot
It is no better in daylight, three years ago I was called a pedofile for taking photographs of SURFERS by a parent on the beach, LOUDLY

Yes these shots, but I was shouted at that I should NOT be taking photographs when children are about, because of the people all looking I later left

View attachment 305887
What a wanker, not you @skyhawk, but the idiot throwing around accusations. I would have told him to sod off, and if he kept pursuing the matter I would have been asking for some formal ID so I could refer the matter to a solicitor. It's one thing to be protective of your kids, but another thing altogether to start throwing around baseless accusations in public.

skyhawk

What a wanker, not you @skyhawk, but the idiot throwing around accusations. I would have told him to sod off, and if he kept pursuing the matter I would have been asking for some formal ID so I could refer the matter to a solicitor. It's one thing to be protective of your kids, but another thing altogether to start throwing around baseless accusations in public.

The problem is that (being Autistic) I tend to do just that and WOULD be as rude BUT then you risk more getting involved, and my autistic son was with me as well, single autistic father with three autistic sons, bit of a laugh :) :)

Grumpy John

Here a lot
Not only was he a wanker, but also a coward for putting you in that situation in front of your son. You did the right thing to walk away.

VictoriaBCPhoto

Premium Member
I live in a different part of the world - and I'm in a smaller city - but, as a female traveler/street photographer, I never feel safe alone at night with or without my camera. I'm fortunate to have a big husky husband to accompany me, but I usually only bring either my film or my smaller mirrorless camera for street photography at night because they don't look as expensive.

SharonH

Here a lot
Premium Member
I'm another female and I have to be honest, I don't feel safe in some places whether I have my camera or not. We have some beautiful places - Plymbridge, Saltram, Radford lake - but I am too frightened to go there on my own. In Saltram the other week it was reported that a strange man was following a woman. trying to call her dog over to him. He wouldn't leave her alone even when she went to a group of people for help. I do feel safer in the private part of Saltram though, National Trust members only. If I want to go to those other places I take my son with me lol

Geena

I live in a small quiet town and for the most part, I do feel safe going on photo walk here. Most of us know each other here, and we tend to look out for each other. There are a few rough areas here, but I just avoid going into them.