1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Do You Want The Mod's Challenge Back?

Discussion in '"The Moderators Challenge" Competition Forum' started by Roger S, Aug 24, 2016.

?

Would you participate and/or vote on a Mod's challenge?

1. I have no interest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes I would attempt to participate

75.0%
  3. I would definitely participate

30.0%
  4. I am new and have never heard of a Mod's challenge

15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As you know, the Mod's challenge was discontinued in February after some some very dismal attempts at getting folks to participate and submit images for the challenge.

The question is, would you like to see it back, and would you make an attempt to accept the challenge each month.

I would like to see what you as members think.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes please. As long as it doesn't go down the "automated" route that has spoilt the IOTM comp!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

3. Snips

Snips Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes but with a change or two. Or three. Maybe four. :D

I like the idea of having a subject (or theme) but I would like to see more participation from the moderators. We (in my opinion) see too few photographs from them :) I would like the moderators to judge though, as before. Just allow them to enter too.

And on this, do you have a form to complete when judging? For example, 15 marks for exposure, 10 for focusing, 25 for the subject matter, 10 for composition, etc, etc? If not, then this might generate a fairer result. In the past there have been rumblings about how one image won over others. And each month for a few months, I think the moderators should see each other's scores to see if they're being consistent - a secret to good judging. And to improving standards too.

Sometimes two week's notice of a subject just isn't long enough if one is busy. I think the standards would be much higher if the theme was known for a month. It can sometimes take a week or so just to think of a potential photograph.

I think we would have much more participation if we had subjects in ratio to what people like to photograph. More bird themes (plants/animals/insects), more landscape subjects as I think we would have more people entering. A competition such as Farm Machinery probably won't excite too much but A Bird in Flight will probably generate many more entries.

Twopenny worth as usual.

balami likes this.
  4. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @Snips how can it be the mods challenge if they are to take part its a bit hard to judge yourself in a comp and be fair also if moderators won twicew or more in a row then there would be cries of foul.

If the judges are allowed to judge themselves who judges that the judges are judging fairly

The challenges where aimed to stretch all...............

Lady Tee, balami and Roger S like this.
  5. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well, let's dissect this for you Edward.

As above, how would one expect it to be a fair judging if the judges were judging themselves?

Although there is no judging criteria as such, we do chat amongst ourselves and come up with a common conclusion. It's not a frikking camera club FFS, it's a challenge to get members out there shooting.

It could be possible to create a schedule ahead of time so that you would all know a month or so ahead of time. It's been a long time since I entered and won, but even back then it took me some scrambling to get mine in on time when I did.

Says the guy who shoots birds on sticks lately. :) Something in that area would probably generate about 2 entries out of the 20,000+ members we have. The challenges are meant to involve as many participants as possible and make your imaginations work.

6. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hmmm, just voted on the button that I would participate, seems I'm the only definite! I enjoy the Weekly Challenge, no pressure there and it's good to release some golden oldies as well as do some new stuff.

IOTM is a victim of how big the forum is and how good a lot of photographers are on here, There are so many superb images posted, that I feel people, in their own minds, give themselves no chance, so don't enter and more often don't vote.

No need for more rules, people didn't enter when it was simple, I agree with @balami, the format is important, no auto please. I do think my IOTM reference may give the Mod's Challenge a new lease of life; it's a project chosen by the moderators, I assume the challenge won't be a specific, but something generic that's open to interpretation.

Roger S likes this.
  7. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Possibly because the voting buttons aren't visible using Tapatalk. I couldn't see them last night, but now I'm on my desktop, I'll vote......................

Roger S likes this.
  8. carlb40

carlb40 Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Maybe each month just a couple of mods could do the voting, then the others can take part? Each month the mods could rotate judging, giving all mods a chance to take part at some point.

Snips likes this.
  9. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I used to take part in all the Mods challenges before becoming a Mod and I think it was good for me as I had to think outside of the box and made me perhaps get a subject/photo that I had never attempted before. Not sure myself that it is feasible to have the Mods taking part though, and there normally is a competition each year for Mods - 'Challenge the Mods'

Roger S likes this.
  10. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ..and if a mod wins, we'll all cry nepotism, LOL.

Roger S and hooferinsane like this.
  11. spuriosity

spuriosity Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I loved the Mods challenge (probably because I won a few times ha ha) because it forced me to think outside the box and try new things. I wasn't able to contribute as much as I had liked at the time it closed because of work commitments but that's life. We have a lot of new members recently it seems so they might be interested in contributing - make sure you point out that there's a prize and if it's the same as it was before then make it clear that they can choose the image they want printed as I was mildly miffed when I found out that I didn't need to get prints of a rusty old switch and a spoon!! :grin: And maybe the regulars of us on here should be better at putting the effort in to enter to put a little back into the forum. It was pretty dire when there were only two or three images to choose from.. Mind you, you're guaranteed a place with those few images :D

Roger S and steve b like this.
  12. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    makes for easier choosing as well :D

Roger S and spuriosity like this.
  13. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No votes are visible on Tapatalk are they? Is this one?
    Tapatalk is such a crippled way to view the forum imo. None of you have applied for the free £50 notes in the link in my signature...

spuriosity and Roger S like this.
  14. Puffin

Puffin Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I miss it - used to participate every month before I was a Mod. I would deffo try hard to stick an entry in!

Roger S and spuriosity like this.
  15. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hee hee! As a retired Mod, you are entitled to enter. Maybe show some of these young whippersnappers what it's all about. :)

spuriosity likes this.
  16. Puffin

Puffin Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I only won the once Roger, not sure if I could produce anything decent LOL I may challenge Snips however........

Roger S likes this.
  17. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I only won once too. ;)

18. keanmu

keanmu Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If do it. Not every single one but some.

Roger S likes this.
  19. jables3000

jables3000 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm all for something that gets me shooting / thinking more.

Electra likes this.
  20. Snips

Snips Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This might interest you as it's rather more active.
    https://www.photography-forum.org/threads/wk-end-18-11-16-joker-week-bridges.138212/

Basically, you produce an image relevant to the subject and there's one to do each week. 52 different topics over the year. I used to do it and really enjoyed it but devoting the time became more difficult. It really does make you think about photography and how to tackle a subject and is really rewarding when you manage a decent photograph.

Roger S and hooferinsane like this.