• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Dome safelight or red light bulb?

River99

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Hi, I don't know much about film/developing, but want to buy a red light for someone's darkroom.
My questions are:
Is it better to get a dome lamp or a bulb for a current lamp?
And do the bulbs need to be 15 Watts?

(I already posted these questions at the bottom of my other thread but figured not everyone reads through the comments).

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
If you can get a Dome type safelight, or any safelight that comes with different color filters- that is best. Probably even more important years ago when various types of film and papers were in use. Red is usually safe for the paper used to print enlargements and contact sheets, but some used different colors. For example, Kodak Panalure required an Amber safelight. This paper was discontinued in 2005, was special in that it was designed to make B&W prints from color negatives. Much like converting Digital Color to B&W, you could use color contrast filters after taking the picture. The safelight color was "notched" out of the paper. Ilford apparently makes a similar product.

From the data sheet- "DARKROOM RECOMMENDATIONS For critical applications, use a KODAK 13 Safelight Filter (amber) in a suitable safelight lamp with a bulb of 7 1/2 watts or less at least 1.2 metres (4 feet) from the paper. For some applications, you can use a 15-watt bulb with a KODAK 13 Safelight Filter, depending on darkroom design and safelight location. Minimize safelight exposure to avoid unwanted quality changes. Excessive safelight exposure will lower paper contrast or affect gray-tone reproduction of colors before creating significant fog density. Be especially careful if you use other types of safelights. "

River99

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
If you can get a Dome type safelight, or any safelight that comes with different color filters- that is best. Probably even more important years ago when various types of film and papers were in use. Red is usually safe for the paper used to print enlargements and contact sheets, but some used different colors. For example, Kodak Panalure required an Amber safelight. This paper was discontinued in 2005, was special in that it was designed to make B&W prints from color negatives. Much like converting Digital Color to B&W, you could use color contrast filters after taking the picture. The safelight color was "notched" out of the paper. Ilford apparently makes a similar product.

From the data sheet- "DARKROOM RECOMMENDATIONS For critical applications, use a KODAK 13 Safelight Filter (amber) in a suitable safelight lamp with a bulb of 7 1/2 watts or less at least 1.2 metres (4 feet) from the paper. For some applications, you can use a 15-watt bulb with a KODAK 13 Safelight Filter, depending on darkroom design and safelight location. Minimize safelight exposure to avoid unwanted quality changes. Excessive safelight exposure will lower paper contrast or affect gray-tone reproduction of colors before creating significant fog density. Be especially careful if you use other types of safelights. "
Hi Brian, I'll definitely go with a dome then. Is a 15 watt one okay? You got a little too technical for me there lol. Thank you for the advice!

I just tricked him into telling me he doesn't have a darkroom timer (uses his phone), I'm guessing there quite useful? Do you have a favourite yourself? On my other thread, people commented about ones with multiple uses.

Last edited:

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
The 15w Dome should be fine- The Dome type light can be used with different color filters, in case he works with some different types of papers.

Does he like "retro" and "Vintage"???

GraLab was the "gold standard" in the day.