1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Dovercourt Low Lighthouse

Discussion in 'Landscape Photography Forum' started by Phill104, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Unfortunately the weather and my skills didn’t quite play ball. I was hoping for better light, better clouds and more reflection in the water. It was a lot of fun trying, but gives me a lot more respect to those that make landscape photography look so easy. Unfortunately the EXIF seems to have vanished when I edited this on my iPad. The exposure was 171secs at f18 ISO 100. Taken at 55mm on my 7D2 with the 17-55, Nisi Polariser and a Stealth Gear 10 stop ND

Any tips on this kind of shot greatly appreciated

D06DA3EC-132D-4B4A-836F-C4045397835D.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    1monk likes this.
  2. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    looks good to me, nice simple shot. good stuff

Phill104 likes this.
  3. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Many thanks. I thought I would give one of the other takes a mono process. I would have liked a bit more detail in the sky with this shot but the mist had rolled in by the time I took this. It did leave a nice reflection of the lighthouse though.

40733776782_60d2a1a1eb_b.jpg

4. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I prefer the composition of the first image as it shows it's remoteness. But the mono version does bring out more detail.

Phill104 likes this.
  5. Pete Larkin

Pete Larkin Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think I prefer the mono version - not quite enough colour in the first to be worth having, though the composition sits well.

6. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks. I wasn't sure whether to crop on the second or not, but wanted to show more detail. This is probably only the third shot I have tried to process in mono since my film days. Back then I would happily spend hours in the darkroom getting the look I wanted. For some reason I cannot quite get the silvery look here that I would have liked, I have a lot to learn. Also struggling with the learning curve of long exposure photography, and of landscape photography in general. I like a challenge so plan to put more effort into this area in the coming year.

7. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    think you could quite easily pull the detail in the colour version out and into the mono version which would make the sky look a little less "flat"

Phill104 likes this.
  8. David_MC

David_MC Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Beautiful shots. Mono suits this type of image well but I like the detail and the crop in the color image.

9. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I might try processing the colour image as mono when I have some time.

10. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I like these, both have their merits but I prefer the first - the sky makes it my choice. Since you’ve asked for full critique I’d try and lose the blue band across the horizon on the first. It draws the eye a little too much. Two very good pictures though.

Phill104 likes this.
  11. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks. I too thought the blue a little too much.

12. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Nowt to critique here, both are decent well presented pictures.

Phill104 likes this.