1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

DPI Explained: Everything You Need to Know About Print Resolution

Discussion in 'Forum Printing Service & Questions Forum' started by Mike Singh, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  2. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not a bad video..........as well as the resolution industy rip software will interpolate anyway.............I have printed massive mMP images with no pixelation visible :) ...............probably why the software for RIP is so expensive

Mike Singh likes this.
  3. chaz

chaz Old Hand Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What he really means is ppi.

4. MikeB

MikeB Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Fortunately very few photographers ever require raster image processing or the workflow management the software can provide. Otherwise this forum would be overflowing with help requests.

I'm ok with the use of dpi (dots per inch) here. As I understand it, pixels only relate to sensors, image files and display devices and with each of these the term varies in meaning. Pixels are square. We print using dots. Whether we are dealing with half-tones, inkjets or laser, "dots" also vary in meaning and application. Dots are round. The two terms interrelate where it comes to print resolution however the similarities between the two creates more confusion than understanding. Photo printing services often stipulate what ppi (pixels per inch) an image should be to be printed at a specified size and quality. They are not likely to discuss dpi with a customer as the complexity of printing is more than most customers want to deal with.