1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

E6 development kit

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by Jonahu, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Jonahu

Jonahu New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi! I was just wondering if anyone had experience using ffp’s e6 processing kit, and if so, how many rolls that can be developed with one 32 ounce kit. Thanks!

2. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Jonahu

Over the years gone by, I have home-processed over 1000 rolls of E6, and while lots of it is still to be found in the ol' grey cells, some has faded ~ along with the resulting slides :)

As I remember it, the E6 process uses 7- stages / chemicals, and I kept mine in 2-litre non-returnable fruit-juice bottles, each with a large numbered label - so that a quick glance at them showed them to be in the correct sequence

I used the large wash-basin, half-filled with warm water as my temperature control source, so that every item was consistent with temperature. My tank was the Patterson 3-reel job, so it used most of each 2-litre bottle for each useage

As to 'how many rolls per kit' - sorry it's too long ago ... but it should be in the new kit's instructions

For drying films I built a tall, thin container, about a foot wide x a foot deep x 6ft high with a rail at the top and weighted pegs at the bottom - and the door was never opened when it was not in use, thus keeping dust / air from circulating. In the early days I had tried drying films by hanging them from the shower-curtain rail in the bathroom - and they all ended up coated with dust specs

Hope this helps
    Phil

3. Jeff Cochran

Jeff Cochran Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    First, what size rolls? Second, when you read the details on the kit, how many does it say you can process?

Most quart size kits are rated at 8 rolls of 36 exposure 35mm film, but you might squeak one or two extra rolls out of it.

Jeff

4. Ozzie_Traveller

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Jeff

A 30metre bulk roll gave me 18 1/2-rolls of 36 ... so I was always shooting 36's

As to 'how many rolls to a kit?' ... sorry mate - it was back 25+ yrs ago and has faded, however like using any developer, you can stretch things a tad via extending the development times in accordance with the tables - but it's the other things like bleach & fixer that may fall over. Like many things in life - just do it and create your own line in the sand as to 'go' vs 'no-go'
    [ps- like some others insert into their signature line ... "I've still got all my marbles ~ they just roll a little slower"

Phil

5. Jonahu

Jonahu New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for the advice- I'll be processing mostly 35mm, with some 120 as well. Also, did you store your chemicals in glass or plastic?

6. Ozzie_Traveller

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day mate

I used non-returnable 2-litre plastic fruit-juice bottles ... large opening, easy to pour, easy to replace when needed
    The laundry tub / basin had about 10-12cm [4 ~ 5 inches] of warm water and all chemical bottles were placed in the tub a good 1/2-hour before needed to bring them up to temperature - and keep them there as things were going along

I had a selection of glass rod thermometers dangling from paperclips - one was in the tank itself, a second in the next chemical bottle and a 3rd further down the line of bottles - all making sure that the temperature was within specified limits

ps- when buying the glass rod thermometers, the shop kindly put a dozen into a glass of water and waited while they all settled. The collection had a 2-degree variation across the range, and I selected three at the centre of the range. These items were just ordinary $2 commercial jobs, not certified ones, but overall they performed remarkably well

Phil

7. mini_mad

mini_mad Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I haven't done E6 yet but have some sheets to shoot, I am looking at the Bellini kit as sold by Nik & Trick, I am lead to believe that one 1lt kit will do 2 tanks, 6 X 35mm or 4 X 120 or 12 sheets of 4x5.