• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Editing problems

SharonH

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have been going to my local aquarium a lot recently, it can be a bit trying taking photos there at the moment as you can't get very close to the tanks therefore get external lights in the picture amongst other things. I have managed to edit some so they look ok (I am only practicing my photography there atm so don't expect anything great) but I would like to know how can I edit these please? I would like them not to be too blue but not too green neither and be able to get the colours of the fish looking better. Is this possible or am I pushing my luck? These are just a few of the ones I have from the deep water tanks.
I use Paint Shop Pro. Thank you :)
3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Sharon. I don't use PSP, but it should have mostly the same tools as most editors.
Step 1: Adjust your levels to reduce mid range (shadows).
Step 2: Adjust brightness and contrast to lighten the image a bit.
Step 3: Adjust the colour range slightly from blue to red.

Water absorbs red light first, which is why things underwater appear more blue than natural. Be reintroducing that red colour spectrum, you now have a more natural looking image.

Untitled - 1.jpg

kayak

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Sharon. I had a go at this one for you in photoshop. It's never easy with glass, water, and reflections. I got a screen shot of settings I used.
7.jpg

7a.jpg

SharonH

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you both so much! Your help is very much appreciated :)

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@SharonH, Photography in Aquariums is very difficult due to the low light and glass reflections. It is difficult to get a fast enough shutter speed without shooting at F2.8 and very high ISO 1600-3200. Your photos are underexposed (histogram crunched to the left). I would suggest practicing outdoors in better light to get good exposures to practice editing.

SharonH

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you Mike :) For some reason my mind can't get to grips with learning about the histogram, just won't sink in for some reason :(

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Start here:

SharonH

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you :) :) :) :)

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
One option you have with under exposed shots like this it to embrace the darkness, take your last shot for example. By bringing down the shadows and blacks and raising the highlights and contrast you can make the fish stand out from the darkness. Here is a screenshot of my experimentation as well as the resulting image.

7.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

picsel

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Here's my attempt on the first one. I use darktable, but in principle, use "shadows and highlights" juggled with exposure and black level to bring out the fish. Further improve that by using a high pass filter to sharpen. Then use "local contrast", then any other sharpening methods you like. Adjust the white balance to something a bit hotter, and that's about it.

3.jpg

picsel

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Had a try at the wrasse as well

7.jpg

SharonH

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Renee Lund

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Hi Sharon. I don't use PSP, but it should have mostly the same tools as most editors.
Step 1: Adjust your levels to reduce mid range (shadows).
Step 2: Adjust brightness and contrast to lighten the image a bit.
Step 3: Adjust the colour range slightly from blue to red.

Water absorbs red light first, which is why things underwater appear more blue than natural. Be reintroducing that red colour spectrum, you now have a more natural looking image.

View attachment 314939
What a wonderful re-edit Roger.