• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Eos 55-250 filter thread replacement part

Could anyone tell me where to get the plastic piece on the lens end of the above lens, the piece that the filter screws to and the lens cap fits to. All I've got so far is offers to send it off for repair with quotes so far from £30-50 plus parts. I'm quite capable of doing the job myself, it's only three screws and literally a two minute job, I've also noticed on my 18-55mm lens that the same piece is slightly chipped so I can see that needing replacing at some point in the future. Surely this is a common piece to replace and I would have thought it was easily available. Thanks for any advice, Bob Monkhouse

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Probably ebay, for the parts. I cannot recall anyone ever asking for it before for any lens and we do have some DIY people here.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
They can be had on e-bay for about twenty quid and a tenner in shipping.

I've fixed a few lenses where the thread ring has had chunks taken out (as some lenses it's a full assembly with the front element) by getting a step up ring, mounting that in to the thread on the lens and building the ring back up with 2 part epoxy.

Probably ebay, for the parts. I cannot recall anyone ever asking for it before for any lens and we do have some DIY people here.
Thanks, I've looked on Ebay and can't find any, it's not as if the part has been damaged by being dropped, it cracked in one place and then another and so on until its now in five separate pieces, failing obtaining one I'll set too and make one from aluminium on the lathe but it's at least an hours job which is why I'm trying to find a replacement in plastic.

Thanks, I've looked on Ebay and can't find any, it's not as if the part has been damaged by being dropped, it cracked in one place and then another and so on until its now in five separate pieces, failing obtaining one I'll set too and make one from aluminium on the lathe but it's at least an hours job which is why I'm trying to find a replacement in plastic.
Actually, what would you call the part? Filter thread end cap? Lens cover clip?

That's the part, thanks. I'll order it as soon as I have got over the cardiac arrest after seeing the price.
Now that I have the correct part description I've had a quick look on Ebay UK and found the same thing for £29.99 plus a bit of postage so I'll order one today, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. All I need to do now is work out how to access the forum without going through my emails. Doh!

Aha, my daughter had just explained it to me. I'm at home with the carbon content of iron and steel and the cutting speeds of materials but computers bore me to death, I'll get my daughter to put the link on my phone when she gets home.

Ordered! I've had a look at trying to get one in the UK but can't find one, the only others are from either China or Australia, how strange.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Ordered! I've had a look at trying to get one in the UK but can't find one, the only others are from either China or Australia, how strange.
I'm not sure you want to leave that screen shot here, but it's your choice. Your home address is clearly shown on a public forum. ;)

OK I'm being dense again here, I've pressed every button thingy and can't find the right one to delete my screenshot, could one of the moderators remove the offending photo pretty please.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
OK I'm being dense again here, I've pressed every button thingy and can't find the right one to delete my screenshot, could one of the moderators remove the offending photo pretty please.
Sure thing. I got that for you. Normally, members have 24 hours to edit their own posts so in this case you should have been able to edit and then where the upload button was, just click there and delete the image.

Thanks, I'll keep trying to navigate the forum and I'm sure I'll learn eventually. Once I've got the repair piece I must go back to using the slr manually every now and then, I've got lazy with it having a fully automatic setting, although my old Zenith was a bit basic, to say the least, it did make one use the shutter speed and f stop, even when using the Olympus it only had a semi auto setting which was OK at times but it produced better photos using the manual settings. Not that I'm in any way an expert.