1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Evening Shot Across the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'Landscape Photography Forum' started by JosephHuntley, Jan 11, 2019.

1. JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    wind was down tonight at the river took my time did better even found a shot I didn't think about taking before. as soon as the images import cant wait to see how they actually turned out I am hoping that special shot I hadn't thought of came out as good as I hope. I was shooting in Aperture mode tonight, not rushing as I didn't need to catch a sunset, and worked on my holding level.

Factory-1
    Camera: Nikon 3500 DSLR
    Iso: 1600
    lens: 260MM
    f/6.0
    Shutter Speed: 1/60

Factory-1.jpg

Factory-2
    lens: 190MM
    f/5.3
    Shutter Speed: 1/100

Factory-2.jpg

Factory-3
    lens: 190MM
    f/7.1
    Shutter Speed: 1/40

Factory-3.jpg

Factory-4
    lens: 110MM
    f/7.1
    Shutter Speed: 1/40

Factory-4.jpg

And A Shot of the Harbor showing the last of the sunset when I took these Shots

Factory-5
    lens: 70MM
    f/7.1
    Shutter Speed: 1/50

Factory-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    PLEASE place up to 10 images in the same post unless requesting "Full Critique", in which case it's best to place one or two images in a post/thread.

3. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Oh ok I didn't know if it was better to do singles so individual ones were easier to comment on or not .

4. Pete Larkin

Pete Larkin Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    First is the best for me - good light and some drama with the contrast

5. alpethsm

alpethsm Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hey Joseph, it's an interesting subject and I think you've got the makings of a good shot, just a few thoughts, the first 4 shots are very similar, try and settle on the best composition of the power plant and go with that. Probably the third from my perspective where the power lines draw your eye into the image, could do with a bit more space on the right. A square or vertical crop could work well for this subject too (image 2 would be better cropped square imo)

Also, you are shooting with a very high iso based on your text, I'd recommend lowering this and using a tripod or something to stand you camera on as the shots all look a little hazy.

JosephHuntley likes this.
  6. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks I wanted to get shot from different perspectives in this. I like the first one the best as someone else pointed out as it has character. But I also was working on composition like one just a hair off center as the first shot was then one to the left and then one to the right showing part of the ALCOA plant then zoomed out some more. I just thought to take a series with different compositions to compare between them all.

Like I said the shot was twilight that last fudge of light between sunset and dark so wasn't sure on settings. I need to figure out in that light if I shot a lower ISO say 400 or 200 what F stop and speed to use to get enough light as to make the picture bright enough to show details as in these without blacking everything else out like on my Sunsets.

if it wasn't so friggin cold my fingers went numb after 5 mins shooting I might have played around a little more. However I am off for the next 3 days and I have a location I want to try out during the day when I wont need those High ISO settings.

Also in the warm of the house I am going to play with some water drop and splash shots for fun where I can spend time playing around while staying nice and toasty warm.

7. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No

When taking landscape shots the f stop is not something I consider for exposure, it’s more for ensuring how much depth of field is required.

So for this shot setting the first stop to f 8 would be a reasonable place to start.

Then if you have a tripod it’s just a matter of varying the exposure time
    Until you get the correct exposure. You only really need to change the iso if it’s windy and thing are moving that you don’t wont to move or if the exposure is going to be too long.

Just appetur exposure time and iso all do the same thing in slightly different ways. So with this I mind when learning settle the f stop straight away, by asking do I want lots of depth of field , or a shallow depth of field. It will be much easier to get the setting sorted afterwards. And yeah a tripod is needed for twilight really as most shots will be a up to or over 30 seconds

JosephHuntley likes this.
  8. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks. since it was so dark I wanted my aperture as wide open as possible to gather as much light but I will try mid-range and vary the speed. last night with low light I did a 100 iso e.8 fstop and 2 sec shutter and the image came out great but it was indoor low light

9. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Indeed that’s what I’m saying, you don’t need to let more light in via the aperture if you are letting more in by the shutter speed.

10. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Here is an example I been playing with indoors today it was pretty dark in the room so I went with a 10 sec shutter speed to compensate for everything else

24MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 100
    f/14
    10 sec

Shell - 06.jpg

11. Stephen F

Stephen F Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The best thing to do Joseph would be to understand the exposure triangle , Plenty of videos on you tube and as suggested you will want to use a tripod for low light evening shots as i think all your images are a little soft most likely from camera shake as of the slow shutter speeds.

12. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks yes during these shots had 45 mph winds coming up river with gusts to 55 that's prob the shake as I always use a tripod my hands shake too much in the freezing cold we been having