• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Experimenting with vintage lenses

peruexplorer

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi everybody!
I am interested in experimenting with vintage lenses. My goal is to make them some changes in order to change the appearance of the photos and to have original effects..
I recently saw some videos about how to made them modifications but most of the videos are focuses in two lenses only Helios 44-2 and Mir 1B.

Do you know if it is possible to do changes to other vintage lenses?
Do you know a tutorial about this topic?

Thanks

imagesBV

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
If you want to use old style lenses on a modern digital you just need a lens adaptor...i.e. Microfourthirds to Canon FD if you have a modern olympus Pen say and want to use old Canon manual focus lenses.

Everything will be manual then...not auto exposure.....check ebay for an adaptor first....then search for a lens....perhaps a fast prime like a 50mm f1.8

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
What camera will you be using them on? The easiest is to use modified/hacked lenses will be a mirrorless camera, such as a Sony A7 series.

You will need a set of tools, small screwdrivers and lens spanner.

Posting sample images of the look that you are after is helpful.

The Group creator put up a tutorial here:

This FLICKR group has discussions and images of interest here. Using modified lenses with digital is easier as you get immediate feedback. Using them with a film SLR is also easy. Making and using them with a Rangefinder camera is hard, but doable.

Petrochemist

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The homemade lens group on Flickr @BrianS linked to is a great resource. I've been a member for years but never quite got to that level :)
My first effort was a soft focus mod. I first met there (described for a Minolta 50mm/2) which I tried on a Pentax 50/1.7:
soft focus mod fully open by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

I later tried it on a telephoto (where the rear group was severely fogged & unusable) with suitable extension it worked pretty well:
Soligor 105 without rear group by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Most of the time I stick to just jury rigging unusual lenses such as a 50mm/1.2 (projector lens):
Mounted 50mm/1.2 projector lens by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

and a c-mount microscope objective:
ultra macro lens set up by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr
You might be surprised to here the microscope lens does focus to infinity even if the coverage is less than ideal like that. Zoomed in it managed ~3x magnification nicely.

peruexplorer

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If you want to use old style lenses on a modern digital you just need a lens adaptor...i.e. Microfourthirds to Canon FD if you have a modern olympus Pen say and want to use old Canon manual focus lenses.

Everything will be manual then...not auto exposure.....check ebay for an adaptor first....then search for a lens....perhaps a fast prime like a 50mm f1.8
Thank you for your answer, I know that I have to use a lens adaptor, that is not my issue, what I want to do is to make modifications to the vintage lenses, for that reason I am looking for a tutorial or something similar.

The homemade lens group on Flickr @BrianS linked to is a great resource. I've been a member for years but never quite got to that level :)
My first effort was a soft focus mod. I first met there (described for a Minolta 50mm/2) which I tried on a Pentax 50/1.7:
soft focus mod fully open by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

I later tried it on a telephoto (where the rear group was severely fogged & unusable) with suitable extension it worked pretty well:
Soligor 105 without rear group by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Most of the time I stick to just jury rigging unusual lenses such as a 50mm/1.2 (projector lens):
Mounted 50mm/1.2 projector lens by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

and a c-mount microscope objective:
ultra macro lens set up by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr
You might be surprised to here the microscope lens does focus to infinity even if the coverage is less than ideal like that. Zoomed in it managed ~3x magnification nicely.

Thanks for the information. I like the work that you do, it is quite interesting. Congratulations

What camera will you be using them on? The easiest is to use modified/hacked lenses will be a mirrorless camera, such as a Sony A7 series.

You will need a set of tools, small screwdrivers and lens spanner.

Posting sample images of the look that you are after is helpful.

The Group creator put up a tutorial here:

This FLICKR group has discussions and images of interest here. Using modified lenses with digital is easier as you get immediate feedback. Using them with a film SLR is also easy. Making and using them with a Rangefinder camera is hard, but doable.

Thank you very much for the information about that group, I checked some articles and I find them very interesting, I believe that is what I was looking for :)

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
One "relatively simple" modification to do with an old Zoom lens or Fixed focal length lens: open it up, flip one element backwards. The result tends to be in-focus center, and wild field curvature.

peruexplorer

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
One "relatively simple" modification to do with an old Zoom lens or Fixed focal length lens: open it up, flip one element backwards. The result tends to be in-focus center, and wild field curvature.
Thank you very much, that seems to be a great idea :)
Do you know any tutorials about how to change the shape of the diaphragm?

Petrochemist

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Do you know any tutorials about how to change the shape of the diaphragm?
Working with the actual diaphragm is almost certain to distort the leaves so it no longer works - they are fiddly enough just reconstructing if one has shifted or they've needed serious cleaning.
The usual approach is to keep the aperture wide open & add a secondary light restrictor of the shape you want. Thin discs on the front of the lens with suitable cut-outs can work reasonably for distant shots.

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
I've not tried this but- A number of older lenses are easy to take apart, simply unscrew. I have one Leica Summar that someone took out the aperture blades. Other lenses- grab the front section, they unscrew. You could make a shaped aperture disk and put in place where the lens comes apart. I might have to give this a try when work lets up. It's been busy.

peruexplorer

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Working with the actual diaphragm is almost certain to distort the leaves so it no longer works - they are fiddly enough just reconstructing if one has shifted or they've needed serious cleaning.
The usual approach is to keep the aperture wide open & add a secondary light restrictor of the shape you want. Thin discs on the front of the lens with suitable cut-outs can work reasonably for distant shots.
Ok I get it, it was just a question because I saw a video of a guy who did it in the Takumar 50mm in order to have a triangular diaphragm

I've not tried this but- A number of older lenses are easy to take apart, simply unscrew. I have one Leica Summar that someone took out the aperture blades. Other lenses- grab the front section, they unscrew. You could make a shaped aperture disk and put in place where the lens comes apart. I might have to give this a try when work lets up. It's been busy.
Yes I believe I will try that since it seems easier than the other idea, besides that in the internet I saw a system home made, which game me many ideas to do my own aperture disk. :)

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
FYI