1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Exposure!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by Shaunmbs, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi guys, I'm new to the whole photography scene other then point and click with a phone or what have you. I'm struggling to get my head around the exposure thing, I understand the 3 aspects (or at least I think I do) but what I'm struggling with is what's the starting point in order to then make adjustments? Is there a certain setting I can use I.e aperture or shutter speed that will at least help me determine one aspect of the triangle so I'm not confused choosing 3 as a beginner? ‍⚖️

Any help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated

Shaun

amanda22 likes this.
  2. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There isn't really as it does depend on what you are shooting.
    Do look at the basics link in my signature, there are a lot of useful resources on that link well worth a read that should help you

Andy 0 and amanda22 like this.
  3. amanda22

amanda22 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks for sharing!

4. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi @Shaunmbs.

I understand what you're angling at; you need not jump straight in to using manual exposures though, assuming you're not using a manual only camera.

My recommendation would be to first experiment with a priority mode, Aperture Priority (Or Aperture Value, it'll be marked Av or Ap depending on your flavour of camera) will allow you the degree of freedom to adjust aperture and the camera to calculate out the rest, you can see the tangible results of adjusting aperture on your images, once you 'know' what the effect will be then you can add more in to the mix.

There are some great resources if you want to jump in, @tenchy has some great stuff.

Don't fall in to the manual is better trap, there are a plethora of online experts you'll assure you without compunction or clarification that manual is the only way to take photographs. Millions of photographers spent decades willing the invention of decent semi-automatic modes and when you take away some of the bluster many photographers who are being rewarded substantially for their work are NOT shooting in solely manual modes.

By all means learn it, you should know how to do it, but it's a tool in the bag, not the magic bullet.

5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is not meant to sound condescending, you do know how to read your camera meter in the view finder ?

As Andy says, you don't need to shoot manual. Use the camera to help you, they are great for that

Youtube Mike Brown and look at the earliest videos ( when he was a bit fatter ) he explains things very well in the concepts needed to learn.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  6. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for the replies. First thing is what's a signature of someone's and where do I find it and as for the camera meter I know it's there but don't fully understand it to be fair. Is the ideal scenario when it's at '0' I may sound like a complete novice..... I am, I just hope it's not erking people the wrong way

7. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's a very steep learning curve and you should ask whatever you need to ask.
    Take a look at Mike Brown on YouTube and get some idea of what you want to know.
    Practice as much as you can, that's the best way but you need some fundamental understanding first so you can enjoy your camera.

8. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for the help guys it's something I've always been interested in so thought I would give it ago. I've got a Nikon d3300 with the standard kit 18-55mm lens at the moment, I know there not the best lenses but for now I'm pretty sure it's good enough for what I need?

9. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Modern kit lenses are fine. You can get good quality photos from them. Don't get caught up in the rush to buy expensive lenses, you don't need them until you out grow consumer grade, which IMHO, so very well.

JCosyn and Andy 0 like this.
  10. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It’s perfect, it’s an entirely capable setup. You’ll get a great grounding with that combo.

Worry about upgrading later, but you’ve got lots of scope at the moment as a beginner.

11. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Think Mike and myself had a moment of thinking alike there!

12. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

My signature is text appended to the bottom of every one of my posts. If you are on Tapatalk or the forum app you won't see them. In that case chose the view in browser option.
    If on a mobile browser, put the phone in landscape mode as again you won't see them.
    They are always visible on a pc.

13. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Mike ?

14. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Another Mike Browne recommendation. Partly because he doesn't spend hours waffling. He's really good at presentation and explaining. And is interesting too.

Although I do this game for a living, I've recently learned a new technique from him and my sales have increased as a result. Ironically, this tip is something I learned in a book 30+ years ago but forgot about. :)

15. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just for starters and to get a feel for your camera, set your ISO to 400, put your camera in Av mode and select f5.6 or f8; in normal daylight you will probably have shutter speeds (that will be set automatically) that won't be affected with camera shake, also, read the manual and set your focus point to centre spot (you can then focus on the specific point of the object you want most in focus of your composition) and your metering to evaluative. This set up will cover most bases in daylight. Jpeg only, you can move onto RAW later. Take loads of pics of various subjects (leave landscapes out for a while) and when you look at your pics you will have a basis to work on. If you upload from your PC to the correct size (1024 on the longest side and under 250kb) we should be able to read all the camera detail (EXIF) on screen and tell you what you need to do to improve.

It's a long learning curve just for the basics, you have to be prepared to put quite a lot of effort in, which is worthwhile.

16. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    hi guys, ive been out and taken some photos today, when ive went to upload for feed back it says there too big, how do I go about getting round that.

17. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Make sure they are a maximum of 1024 pixels on the longest side, and under 250 kb.

18. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    how can I make it smaller in size to be able to upload?

19. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You can do that in your photo editor. If you're not using an editor, you can go to www.picresize.com and do it online.

20. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ive tried doing it on that site, my files are raw and it says its not compatible. I'm new to light room so don't know how do it. don't worry ill just leave it

21. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You need to export your RAW file as a Jpeg from Lightroom, then do the resize on that one.

22. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    DSC_0215.jpg I think it worked

LYNN GRIFFITHS likes this.
  23. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I just edited it to show the full size. When you are making a post and uploading there is a button for full size. Just saves everyone clicking on it.

24. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great! Now you can go create a thread in whichever forum ( this one would be in the landscapes forum) and start uploading. ;)

25. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ok thanks, I'm also aware that I'm if asking for critique etc I should of placed this in the landscape forum???

LYNN GRIFFITHS likes this.