1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Father in Law

Discussion in 'Studio Images Forum' started by oldgeezer, Apr 16, 2017.

1. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Can't believe he let me shoot him in the studio.

Pete_1.jpg

2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    He looks deep in thought Pete.

oldgeezer likes this.
  3. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    He's from Yorkshire, is that possible ? :grin:

It was great, he did exactly what I asked which, believe me, is not usual but I had to work quick as he is not in the best of health but he was very patient.

Snips likes this.
  4. stanm

stanm Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not sure about the lighting here which has left his eyes in shadow and a very dark shadow down the right side of his face. Apart from that if mine I would have gone for just head and shoulders as his hands look a bit awkward

oldgeezer likes this.
  5. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  6. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yeah I see your point. Unfortunately the contours of his face and head are very deep. As for his arms, they are what they are. He is very weak but these are for his kids and he wasn't keen on real close-up shots. He's still vain at 87 but the head shots are very sharp and show every little blemish so he won't want them for himself.
    Still, I need to shoot with a lighter BG for print otherwise I will run out of ink with all that black.

7. Lady Tee

Lady Tee Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Seriously love that first one.. handsome chap and I rather like him not looking at the camera. :)

Andy325i and oldgeezer like this.
  8. Snips

Snips Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    #3 is good but if being critical it looks slightly forced with his eyes but that's a small detail.

I like the first/original very much. Whether or not that's a typical pose or not, I don't know, but it's a cracking portrait. And the second - what a super shot and I trust you have a frame on order.

Lovely set, Pete - all three are super photographs and poses - and in time I'm sure these will help with fond memories.

oldgeezer likes this.
  9. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    i like it, good pose and i also like the lack of eye contact.seems to tell a story

oldgeezer likes this.
  10. arteta

arteta Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    He's got that typical father in law look on the last one when you meet them for the first time ha ha :)

They all look pretty good to me. A close up one light head shot in b&w would have looked great also I think but I'd imagine with him being elderly and in poor health you wouldn't have had time to try different lighting set ups and all that. Just in and out.
    Nice job Pete

oldgeezer likes this.
  11. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    oldgeezer likes this.
  12. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks mate.
    Eye contact is hard for him as he is registered blind so I just shot what I could. I'm just pleased he sat for me as he is very frail and has dementia in a lucid moment.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    balami likes this.
  13. spuriosity

spuriosity Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ahh I really like the one with the two of them. The last is great too, very serious!!

oldgeezer likes this.
  14. slipper

slipper Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Like the lighting, nice contrast and brighter than I can get at the moment.
    Fabulous subject Pete, character in the face and those hands.(Was he a musician by any chance?)

oldgeezer likes this.
  15. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cheers John.
    No he wasn't a musician, he drove a truck. He had a stroke in his early 50,s so not had a great life.
    The lights I used are really cheap one I bought years ago and they are on lowest power so you should be getting plenty of power. These are only 180ws and are all the power I require really. I was gonna get new ones but to be honest, when I get to set up properly I don't need more power.
    Most of the time I use speedlight's which I like using but having a modeling light helps aim the lights with the grids on.

slipper likes this.
  16. Expo

Expo Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Coming in a bit late, but just to say the last one is the one for me. Really nice work and I love the low key background. As you've told us he's registered blind, that direct look carries a great deal of feeling for me ... one to treasure.

oldgeezer likes this.
  17. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    weird, thought I commented on this thread!
    He certainly doesn't look a particularly happy model

oldgeezer likes this.
  18. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good work Pete, a lovely set - well photographed and with good emotion.

oldgeezer likes this.
  19. Andy325i

Andy325i Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is awesome Pete, it looks like it tells a story from just one photo. Love it :)

oldgeezer likes this.
  20. Jenbenjen

Jenbenjen Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    These are great Pete, love the character you have captured, studio working beautifully by looks of it :)

oldgeezer likes this.
  21. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Jen. Had some setbacks after painting it out because the heat has warped the wood somewhat so having a rethink on inside but shooting space is so easy to set up.
    Not shot anything really, just these with lighting but I retire at the end of July so biding my time.
    Good to see you up and running. Life ain't easy is it.

Jenbenjen likes this.