1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

FD Lens for Jasper and Banff

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by Kael, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Kael

Kael New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on which lens(es) I should take with me in May. I'm a beginner if that helps. I'd also like to have your input on the ISO of the film, aperature, and shutter speed when taking mountain pictures, pictures of lakes, etc.

2. BriPriUK

BriPriUK Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Sounds like a great holiday - I love Scotland.

What camera do you have?

Brian

3. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello Kael and welcome to the forum from just up here in Stratford. I'm a Nikon person so can't help with Canon lenses, but overall you are going to need one which is a very close zoom lens as well as something in the 70-300 range. There's great mountain views from the foothills before you get into the mountains (Canmore area) as well as wonderful architecture shots in Jasper itself. When you pull off at the overlook areas at Kicking Horse, or Roger's Pass. You will need both the wide lens as well as the long lens for some fantastic images.

Kael likes this.
  4. Kael

Kael New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I will be taking a Canon FTb.

5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The Canon's FD cameras were great cameras and the lenses could be had dirt cheap up until the mirrorless crowd started using them. Zoom lenses were a recent development back then and most of the FD lineup was fairly slow by today's standard. Unless you can get your hands on some zooms in excellent condition, I would consider sticking with prime lenses.

You don't say what lenses you have. The focal lengths that I used most on my trips to the Canadian Rockies were the 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and focal lengths between 100-200mm. Instead of a wider lens I would use a longer focal length as a panorama.

I would recommend the following if you can find them.

Canon 20mm F/2.8 FD Mount Lens
    Canon 24mm F/2.8 FD Mount Lens
    Canon 35mm F/2 FD Mount Lens
    Canon 50mm F/1.4 FD Mount Lens
    Canon 80-200mm F/4 L Macro FD Mount Lens

I would avoid the FL lenses.

You'll also want to get lens hoods and one circular polarizing filter for your largest diameter lens with step-down rings for the others. If you have a good tripod, shutter speed is not an issue. If you are handholding the camera then you will need shutter speeds fast enough to avoid camera shake. I shot most of my mountain scenes at f/8 unless I was trying to get separation using depth of field. I never use hyperfocal distance, instead I determine what's most important in the scene and have that in focus. Choose the type of film you want to use for its characteristics then the ISO. Shooting from a tripod, go with slower ISOs. Handheld may require faster ISOs.