• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Film Camera Question

photography.

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi, I was wondering where online is the best place to find vintage spools for a Nikon F50- SLR film camera with Nikkor 28-80mm lens?
Preferably for a reasonable price.
Thanks.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi and Welcome, when you say vintage spools do you mean film?
If so I think your camera should take any 35mm film, the type would be dependent on what you're using it for.

photography.

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi, Yes I mean film. Is there any sort film that gives the photos a vintage style?
thanks.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I guess that would depend on how and what type of 'vintage' you're going for. Colour or B&W? If you are looking for a grainy look higher ISO films will do that for you but every film will have its own characteristics as well as price points so researching ones within your price range should give you an idea of what to expect.

photography.

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
okay thanks for your help!

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Where are you located?

In the US, Midwest Photo Supply has a good selection of film, paper, and chemicals.

You want a vintage film:

This one predates "Tri-X Pan", goes "Way Back".

anthony marsh

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
A vintage look would depend upon either the age of the lens and the type of film or both. I have used KODAK TRI-X almost exclusively with y 1955 LEICA M-3 and 50 MM 2.8 collapsible LTM ELMAR since 1969. I have lately experimented with ILFORD 100,and FOMAPAN 100. I have no photos yet as I have only exposed them in the past three months and the film lab that I use has not reopened. You cannot however go wrong with TRI-X and an older lens.

I should have noted,I have used ILFORD and FOMAPAN in 120 size.

parrilladk

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have 3 rolls of 135/ 36 T400CN, one 135/ 24 T400CN and one TMY 135-24 400 film in their boxes. Not sure this is the right place to post this. They are vintage.

anthony marsh

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
Where are you located?

In the US, Midwest Photo Supply has a good selection of film, paper, and chemicals.

You want a vintage film:

This one predates "Tri-X Pan", goes "Way Back".
KODAK TRI-X was introduced in 1954,CINESTILL was introduced in 2012. In what universe does does CINESTILL predate TRI-X?

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
KODAK TRI-X was introduced in 1954,CINESTILL was introduced in 2012. In what universe does does CINESTILL predate TRI-X?
In the Universe that Double-X is a 35mm Cine-Film that dates before Tri-X, and some companies have taken rolls of Double-X CineFilm and loaded it into 35mm film cannisters. Kodak Double-X is listed as a high-speed Panchromatic film in my 1951 Leica Manual by Willard and Lester, had been around for a while. I've got some more 1940s and 1930s reference books in the basement- the 1951 edition was handy.

I have some old Film Cannisters including an 18 exposure roll of Plus-X labeled as ultra-speed Panchromatic. Double-X followed, then came Tri-X. Double-X lived on as a Cine-Film, had not been sold by Kodak in 35mm film cannisters for a long time.A number of people bought it in bulk and rolled their own.

Or just buy in bulk and load your own.

Tom Abrahamsson loved this film.

Last edited:

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No

anthony marsh

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
No
What was confusing is that the reference was specifically to CINE-STILL as a brand which I knew did not predate TRI-X. As a cinematic film yes but not as CINE-STILL for 35mm photography and that was the reason for my reply.

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
I did not know that Double-X was still around until Tom A asked for reloadable film cassettes some years ago. He had a project to shoot, needed a lot of them- and was shooting a Nikon. I sent him some Nikon brand cannisters, special in that they are keyed to open when you close the Nikon F back.

Tom left notes on his website for how he developed some of these films:

I can imagine that the popularity of the film increased after Tom posted about it, and possibly this company decided to load it for 35mm cameras again.