1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

filters

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by LYNN GRIFFITHS, Jun 12, 2018.

1. LYNN GRIFFITHS

LYNN GRIFFITHS Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    i have just bought a filter for the end of my fixed lens. ( sony cyborshot ). i ask anyone, does one leave these on all the time?

2. mikew

mikew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It depends on which filter and who you listen to:D if its a protection filter some say yes some say no.

3. Hatter

Hatter Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a "skylight" filter permanently attached to each of my lenses for protection.
    Some people think that degrades the image slightly though...
    (Not really an issue at my standard!)

4. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What filter is it Lynn

5. LYNN GRIFFITHS

LYNN GRIFFITHS Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    its a HOYA 55M UV(C) DIGITAL SCREW IN

6. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok, as said above some always leave them on .... others never use them .... the choice is yours
    Benefit ..... .protects the lens glass and sometimes cuts down on glare.
    Detriment .... can reduce picture quality (depending on cost/quality of filter)

Paul

LYNN GRIFFITHS likes this.
  7. Mark 1

Mark 1 Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I always have a UV or clear filter on expensive glass for protection and weather proofing but I do buy very good quality ones so as not to affect the image

8. mikew

mikew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you do leave one on make sure you use your lens hood, filters are a bit forward of the front element so can pick up flare easier if no hood is fitted.

9. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Never bother with UV, leave the lens hood on for protection, its like the old question Nikon or Canon.

photodiva likes this.
  10. photodiva

photodiva Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree. I have good lenses, never bother with UV filters. If you want to spend your money, the choice is yours.

11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I used to shoot film (where they make a difference), so started off with UV filters on my lenses.
    Having heard of a few cases where broken filters ruined lenses that would have survived fine without a filter, I now I only fit a filter when I need one.
    It's very rare for a UV filter to be any use, but sometimes they hold a homemade Bokeh mask in place :)

It's not been mentioned in this thread so I'll point out that unlike film digital cameras have very little response to UV. They have an internal filter that blocks UV very successfully.

12. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Keeping the lens hood on is always a good idea, even so I use a protective filter (UV or clear) on all my lenses all the time.

Dropping any lens from any height that will break the protective filter will likely damage the alignment of the lens elements and/or lens groups. For that reason I do it less to protect the lens from damage due to dropping than from damage by handling. Protective filters protect the lens from rain and splashes (making it more water resistant), from salt spray or that nasty combination of salt spray and sand at the beach, eliminates fingerprints from the front lens element, makes it easier to clean the lens, and reduces the risk of scratching the front lens element while carrying or working with the camera.

Using an inferior filter will reduce contrast, increase flair, and reduce image quality. Using high quality filters will theoretically reduce image quality but this has never been proven or documented.

13. ed taylor

ed taylor Super Ed Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I always use a filter. I feel safer with one fitted. Also I prefer to clean a filter than the lens front element.