1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

First efforts at Indoor Photography

Discussion in 'All Other Images Forum' started by Lindsay Pennell, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Active Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Every day that I've not been at work for weeks now has been dull, not always raining but very dull, you know, f2.8 or wider weather. So in desperation, I bought some cheap continuous lights and soft boxes off Amazon and some card backgrounds, and set up a mini-studio of sorts in my workshop. There were two 85w lights in soft boxes each at 45 degrees from the subject. Camera is D500, Sigma 105mm lens, f2.8 1/320 sec, ISO was auto and crept up to 2200. That tells me the lights weren't strong enough, maybe I could have managed without the soft boxes. Anyway, I'd be interested in any comments please:

20190112-D500-D50_0064-CleanHeels-small.jpg

It was entitled "A Clean Pair of Heels"

SharonH, Hatter and Mike Singh like this.
  2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You have a surprisingly deep DOF here, considering the f/2.8. That's a good thing. The lighting angles work good, as does the card b/g, so other than maybe a bit brighter light, the overall is working fine.

3. Lindsay Pennell

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Roger. It's a genre I want to do more of, given the dull weather!

4. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  5. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  6. Lindsay Pennell

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've had another bash, triggered by the 52 challenge I'm doing on another forum: "Open Sesame"

20190119-D500-D50_0080-OpenSesame1-small.jpg

Mike Singh likes this.
  7. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Think a touch more blacks or contrast needed.

8. Lindsay Pennell

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I did play with those controls in Affinity and took them as far as I thought possible. Maybe I'll process the raw file again but in Lightroom instead and see how it works.

9. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Lindsay

A 10/10 from me for what you're doing :)

I would imagine that your little studio also has space for a tripod - and that would allow you to do decent long exposures therefore providing F22-ish possibilities for max DoF

Otherwise I'd simply say .... "got any more mate?"
    Phil

10. Lindsay Pennell

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Phil, I have a number of subject ideas to try within this genre so I will indeed be doing more.
    My "studio" is actually my garage, which I had lined and insulated to become a workshop for building an aeroplane. However (a) it wasn't big enough to build the wings or fuselage, and (b) I stopped flying, so I gave that up, but it is still configured as a workshop with big benches in, so I've managed to squeeze two light stands in and I'm taking photos by lying on one of the workbenches! I could use a tripod on top of the bench but the gymnastics become even more challenging then, so I think I'll have to ditch one of the workbenches to make it into more of a studio room instead.
    Cheers mate!

11. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You could also try a block of 3 x 1-1/2" X 6" long - screw a 1/4" Whitworth bolt into it - chop off bolt head - attach ball & socket head ....... nice little table top tripod that goes anywhere around the studio :)
    Phil

12. Lindsay Pennell

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good idea - but I've already shifted one of the benches out of the way, having been prompted by your post above! I plan to use the same setup to shoot some of the bits of aeroplane, the tools and so on, to see what happens.