• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique First few from the Highlands leg of my grand tour

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A few will already know but I have recently left home with my other half in our motorhome on a European tour for the next year or so (until we run out of money!). We had intended to start in mainland Europe but we are currently at the mercy of the DVLA waiting for our licenses to return after a change of address so we are unable to head abroad for the moment. To that end we thought we would start with Scotland and have been up here chasing weather since Thursday. We have mainly experienced rain but in true Highland fashion there have been brief moments of great weather in between downpours.

Here's the waterfall in Glen Etive, made more meaningful to us by the fact we parked 50 yards away for the night.

Etivewaterfallsmall.jpg

Yesterday we night stopped near Glenfinnan and the rain that started at 7pm last night stopped just after 10 this morning just in time for the Jacobite Steam Train to pass in glorious light.

GlenfinnanSmall.jpg

As ever any CC gratefully received.

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great pictures as always Barry. Sorry to hear it has been so wet, but it's given you great light for those. :)

I did the same thing myself ten years ago and ended up staying in the van for nearly four years - loved every minute of it. My favourite places were Slovenia and France - I ended up spending almost a year in France.

Have loads of fun.

wraggtime

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
A great couple to start with Barry, looking forward to seeing more.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Love the colours in both of these Barry ...

Taboo

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Beautiful shots and great location. Here's hoping this place gets out of lockdown by next year.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful shots. Number one looks really spectacular.

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great photos Barry. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the photos on your journey.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Well done, it has been typically wet lately. Envious of your Europe tour. You'd have driven past me on the way to Glenfinnan.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well done, it has been typically wet lately. Envious of your Europe tour. You'd have driven past me on the way to Glenfinnan.
I did think about getting in touch but it sounds like you've had your hands full recently and thought you could do without a visit.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Bothe very nice Barry. The first is a weee beauty!

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Not at all. Hands full yes and place resembles a builders yard but you'd have been most welcome. Shame the weather has been bloody miserable for your Highland visit.
I'd be on a CalMac ferry off to the Outer Hebrides if I were you. :)

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Not at all. Hands full yes and place resembles a builders yard but you'd have been most welcome. Shame the weather has been bloody miserable for your Highland visit.
Just waiting to get on one to Skye at the moment as it happens. We will be passing back through on our way south, I'll give you a shout. I think I've still got your email address.

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That 1st shot is lovely - I was there on Friday last week but the bloody mist blocked the mountain off. In all honesty one is probably the best conditions I have seen that shot ever taken in. I rank it higher than any of the many I've taken there. Might suggest a hair off the left side - there's a tiny bit of tree cutting the frame edge. Composing here can be quite tricky I find to frame what you want without getting distractions around the frame edge. The first thing I always do though here is shoot portrait. It works better.

Like you I think I might unfortunately might be looking at a staycation - my plan was to get back to the Spanish Pyrenees for the Autumn but that is looking extremely unlike at present. I just might have to be content with Skye and Glencoe.

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Wonderful shots, Barry! And, as others have mentioned...very jealous. Enjoy it and looking forward to more.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful scenery and wonderful shots, don't think I could add anything in the way of critique except frame them and hang them.

As a frequent RV'r in the states, I'm curious as to the differences. We started out in a Class A 35' MH but when we upgraded went with a 40' 5th Wheel and F350 Dually, because of the extra floor space. However when hooked up, we're over 70' long and 13'-2" high. It makes for some grit your teeth moments, on some roads, no go on others, and sometimes limits our campgrounds. What's the road situation like there and the availability of RV sites.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful scenery and wonderful shots, don't think I could add anything in the way of critique except frame them and hang them.

As a frequent RV'r in the states, I'm curious as to the differences. We started out in a Class A 35' MH but when we upgraded went with a 40' 5th Wheel and F350 Dually, because of the extra floor space. However when hooked up, we're over 70' long and 13'-2" high. It makes for some grit your teeth moments, on some roads, no go on others, and sometimes limits our campgrounds. What's the road situation like there and the availability of RV sites.
Our road system simply wouldn't open with anything that big. Our motorhome is a coachbuilt about 25 feet long and just under 8 feet wide. It's ok on small roads but still a nightmare to park in most towns and cities as our infrastructure simply hasn't considered this type of vehicle. Mainly land Europe is much better set up for motorhoming.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Our road system simply wouldn't open with anything that big. Our motorhome is a coachbuilt about 25 feet long and just under 8 feet wide. It's ok on small roads but still a nightmare to park in most towns and cities as our infrastructure simply hasn't considered this type of vehicle. Mainly land Europe is much better set up for motorhoming.
Interesting? DW and I once spent 6 weeks in the MH without break, she made the comment that it's a good thing there were no firearms along. :grin: The longest we've been out in the 5th wheel is 8 weeks, but the difference was amazing. We considered full timing but health issues have always got in the way.

What about availability of camp sites?

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That 1st shot is lovely - I was there on Friday last week but the bloody mist blocked the mountain off. In all honesty one is probably the best conditions I have seen that shot ever taken in. I rank it higher than any of the many I've taken there. Might suggest a hair off the left side - there's a tiny bit of tree cutting the frame edge. Composing here can be quite tricky I find to frame what you want without getting distractions around the frame edge. The first thing I always do though here is shoot portrait. It works better.

Like you I think I might unfortunately might be looking at a staycation - my plan was to get back to the Spanish Pyrenees for the Autumn but that is looking extremely unlike at present. I just might have to be content with Skye and Glencoe.
Thanks Stephen! I hadn't noticed that small bit of tree, I'll crop or clone that.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Interesting? DW and I once spent 6 weeks in the MH without break, she made the comment that it's a good thing there were no firearms along. :grin: The longest we've been out in the 5th wheel is 8 weeks, but the difference was amazing. We considered full timing but health issues have always got in the way.

What about availability of camp sites?
We have masses of camp sites, from large sites with hundreds of pitches to my preference of small 5 unit sites. That said with a sensible sized motorhome wild camping is still a possibility. We've been on the road for 7 days and haven't stopped at a site yet.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Scott, I've sent you an email but just in case you have changed addresses in the last couple of years I thought I'd let you know here.