1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Go Easy On Me First go with Octabox

Discussion in 'Studio Images Forum' started by Shaunmbs, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well this is the first attempt with one light set up in a octabox. We tried a cake smash when it was her first birthday and relised they could have been better. Therefore, we have decided to try again now that we have a soft box. Due to privacy of our children we don't want to use them face on for any images on the internet so this is the best we have from the 100+ pictures we took.
    The subjects were about 1-2 ft from the background and i was around maybe 5-6 ft from them. Octabox was camera right as space was limited (didn't realise it was 4ft) in the kitchen. Reason for this was solely for easy clean wood floor for the cake. I have come to the conclusion from the 100+ pictures that duracell's are pathetic as the images seem to get darker from the first to the last. (i must invest in those eneloops) having said that i want to know what you guys think. Any critique is greatly appreciated.

DSC_0420_1copy.jpg

DSC_0508Copy.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Difficult to give cc as the images you have posted are so small .. . any chance you can post again but going closer to the forum limit of 1024px on longest side

3. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    when i tried that in photoshop the resulting upload said file too large. its 2.56m how do i make it smaller but keep the image large? i used to use lightroom and didnt have a problem with it however its stopped working and not sure how to do it in photoshop

4. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Open the image in PS go to Image/resize/image size, in the box resize the image to 1024 px on the longest side, OK then move the slider to just under 250kb press Ok , (call the image 'resize' for example), and you have the image ready to upload to the forum.

5. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My image size box doesn’t have a slider. When I resize to 1024 on the longest side it fixes it at 2.89M

6. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    when you press 'save as' and put the image name in the box and then press 'save' the slider will appear

7. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    still no slider. what type of file should i be saving this as? the box i get says PNG options no slider

8. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You need to save it as a jpeg

9. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Might explain it. Let me try in a bit when I have sprogs into bed

My image still only goes down to 400kb maybe this isn’t meant to be

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2018
  10. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This may give you a better idea

Open image/image/resize

1.JPG

Resize image 1024 on the longest side

2.JPG

Press OK

3.JPG

Press save

5.JPG

Then move the slider to under 250K

11. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    2018-01-27.png thats what im trying but 452 is lowest

12. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Best to go back to your original image in Lightroom (that I know nothing about), open it in PS and immediately save it as a jpeg, open said jpeg, it will probably be around 2 - 3MB - and go from there

13. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    my lightroom isnt working. im stuck with photoshop. when i try to start again in photoshop every time it opens in camera raw it is still cropped at the origional crop and i cant get it back to the origional size. :mad:

14. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When it opens in raw, can't you click the 'open image' button at the bottom right, that should open the image up in PS, then press on the Image drop down box and save as a jpeg

jpeg.JPG

15. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ok so ive managed to get the images larger however i feel i have lost some quality to the images.

16. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Check the posting images link in my signature

17. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't know what to say Shaun. Somewhere along the line you're making a basic error with your raw processing. PS should be able to handle all you want easily. I'll let someone with more expertise take over :)

18. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    right ok, let me try and explain how im doing it as im not sure whats going wrong. i open the NEF. folder into camera raw and immediately save as a jpeg before doing anything else. cancel the images and then open the jpeg work from there. i have followed the instructions giving by steve from then on and have managed to get the image larger but im still stuck as to where along the line im loosing the quality

19. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm taking it that an NEF is a Nikon raw file. If it is, then open the raw file in PS, adjust the sliders and anything else you want to change, then open that file in PS - the raw file will retain all the original qualities. The image you're working on in PS can then be processed and saved in whatever format you choose, you can then work on the screened image again and change the size, as long as you 'save as' with different file names you can have the same image (for example) as a tiff, a jpeg, a reduced sized jpeg..... The raw file won't be changed, you can go back to it as many times as you like. Have a look on youtube for a vid on processing Nikon raw files with CS6

20. Shaunmbs

Shaunmbs Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    it seems to be when im trying to get the images under the 250kb the image starts off way too high and when and if the slider allows it to go down to under 250kb the quality also goes with it. it doesnt matter ill just leave it. dont want to waste anyone elses time

21. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Don't alter the quality slider until you have changed the pixel size to under 1024.
    If you use file - save as in photoshop it does it in the correct sequence and never fails.
    If the image contains a lot of detail like a picture of many trees with foliage or lots of gravel detail the image size will be bigger than normal so I use a smaller pixel size around 900. But if the image has large areas without much detail like a clear blue sky or Plain studio background it will get under size in kilobytes easily.

22. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Use 'Save for Web'
    That's what it is for. All you want in one dialogue box.

23. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Doesn't that strip the exif Pete? I may be wrong (usually am), but if someone wants to put stuff on here to get help the exif is handy.

24. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Newer versions do have a tick box for keeping it, but one step at a time..

Though save as is as straightforward as it gets really.

steve b likes this.
  25. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No Steve, you just use the drop down menu for how much you want to allow to be seen.
    Best is to use what you you know. Save For Web does it all in one go but as usual, others disagree and stick to what works for them.

I think Elements strips exit but Photoshop gives a choice.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018