• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

First time with film slr.

Deano69

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have recent purchased 2 film cameras very cheaply as always wanted to try film.
I when I started out went straight into digital having had various cameras, current 2 eos 7d mk 2 and eos 80d.
The 2 I bought recently for film are a Fujica 605n and a Canon t70, a the Fuji is in great condition for age all in working order, and I did take it apart as I am very mechanically curious plus it had lots of dust in viewfinder, and focus screen and prism areas all now of which had gone with a blow of bulb blower and soft brush.
The prism had a very light haze on surfaces so used lens wipe to remove this before refitting all components back where they should be.
It's now fully operating, so working light meter etc just need to try a roll of film, I have also replaced all light seals as well as mirror damper foam so all is set to try.
I know lots will be thinking What, took it apart but I am also an amateur clock repairer so similar mechanically and with a tiny drop of oil on wheels, the moving parts etc all shutter speeds sound much better than before disassembly and in theory shouldn't be far off being correct.
I only blew out dust from focus screen as I know how easy these are to damage, but even a finger print can render them damaged.
Some advice on first trying film would be greatly appreciated as I am a total newbie as far as film is concerned, the Canon T70 is also great nick, all working with no faults just need to add roll of film to each now.
Thanks,
Dean.IMG_0649.jpgIMG_0646.jpg

Last edited:

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I would say work slowly. It is very easy to blow a roll of film and come home with nothing. It makes you consider every shot, the composition and camera settings.
I’ve no experience of the Fuji, but had a T70 and really enjoyed it. Wish I knew what happened to both it and my OM10.

Deano69

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Phil, I'll sounds like good advice, I'll I don't think the canon will be too bad as from what I've read seems pretty straight forward and camera performs well, but the fuji is another story it will be interesting to see how accurate the light meter is even though I know they're not to be fully relied on..

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No

The ST605n, like the ST701, ST801, and ST901- use Silicon PhotoDiodes for metering. If the needle is moving, you should be able to trust the meter. SPD's do well over time, unlike CDS photocells.

I have the ST-801, which uses LEDs tp read out the meter: very accurate.

Deano69

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

The ST605n, like the ST701, ST801, and ST901- use Silicon PhotoDiodes for metering. If the needle is moving, you should be able to trust the meter. SPD's do well over time, unlike CDS photocells.

I have the ST-801, which uses LEDs tp read out the meter: very accurate.
Thanks Brian, yes the meter works well in different and changing light now I put in 2 new batteries, I was going to start by taking 3 shots of a subject one with meter just under onw with it straight in centre and one slightly over to see which seems most accurate, but do you think I will need to do this to test meter or just go for all shots with it centered?
Dean.

BrianS

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
Sorry for the delay-

With any camera- it is best to "Bracket" the exposure. Also bear in mind that lighting conditions can complicate things, like having a heavy backlit subject or a completely dark background. Most film cameras uses "center weighted" metering, usually works. If the lighting is not balanced, adjust accordingly" strong backlight= add an F-stop, strong Spotlight- subtract an F-Stop.

Deano69

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Sorry for the delay-

With any camera- it is best to "Bracket" the exposure. Also bear in mind that lighting conditions can complicate things, like having a heavy backlit subject or a completely dark background. Most film cameras uses "center weighted" metering, usually works. If the lighting is not balanced, adjust accordingly" strong backlight= add an F-stop, strong Spotlight- subtract an F-Stop.
Thanks Brian.