1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Flash lead for Canon 450D(Rebel XSi)

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by Cracker, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Cracker

Cracker Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Hi

I am hoping someone can help me.

I have a Canon 450D(Rebel XSi) and a Sigma EF-610 DGST flashgun.

The sigma works perfectly on the hotshoe on the camera but I am wanting to have this off the camera so I can change the lighting and also add colour to backgrounds.

I have purchased a lead wherby one end goes on the camera and the other on the flash however the flash is not working. Some searching suggests that this will not work with theD as it is ETTL and no TTL.

Can you suggest a lead that will work with theD so I can have the Sigma off the camera. I am not wanting to spend a fortune.

Thank You in advance

2. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sounds like a PC cable, in which case this standard is one of the oldest in photography, it won't be in any way compatible with TTL systems as it predates them by about a century.

It'll only fire in manual mode with a PC cable.

JPA_Photo likes this.
  3. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to a more appropriate forum where it may get more replies. What cable have you tried already?
    Why not introduce yourself in the Who Are You forum

4. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Which cable? If you have a link to it online we can look. It may not be compatible or it may be defective.

5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Given how inexpensive some wireless flash controllers are now, a transmitter for the camera and a receiver for the flash will be more convenient.

rebel06 likes this.
  6. Cracker

Cracker Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
  7. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That should work, according to the info on the page. I think the cable must be defective. Do you know someone with a canon camera and another flash you can test? Just to be sure. Cheap wireless will only trigger the flash and will not transmit the TTL info for focus, exposure, etc so you would need to use the flash in manual mode. Transmitters that pass all that info are more expensive but I am not current on prices in the UK, but look up a Yongnuo 622C

JPA_Photo and Andy 0 like this.
  8. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    £58 here today on Amazon, seems to get sparking reviews!

I'd personally invest in this over cables, more flexibility and you can be assured that it (should) work!

9. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That is just one. You beed a pair or a 622C-TX with it.

Andy 0 likes this.
  10. Cracker

Cracker Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thanks, works out expensive for two in that case. I only take photos of family so don't really want to pay that much.

I've been into the settings on the camera and it states the flash is incompatible when connected using the lead but not when it is mounted directly onto the camera.

Does Ettl and ttl make a difference when communicating? That's the only thing I can think of as some other leads I've looked at state they only work with Ttl and to my knowledge the 450D(Rebel XSi) that I have is Ettl.

11. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That s the exact lead i use on my 70D and also worked on my 40D ... So this should work... Make sure the contacts are clean and is slid all the way home

12. Cracker

Cracker Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thanks, works out expensive for two in that case. I only take photos of family so don't really want to pay that much.

I've been into the settings on the camera and it states the flash is incompatible when connected using the lead but not when it is mounted directly onto the camera.

Does Ettl and ttl make a difference when communicating? That's the only thing I can think of as some other leads I've looked at state they only work with Ttl and to my knowledge the 450D(Rebel XSi) that I have is Ettl.

Are the 40D and 70D TTL or ETTL?
    I've checked the connections and made sure they fit, I've also locked each side accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2018
  13. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They are both ETTL ... TTL was used on the older Film cameras ..... If your flash wotks on the hot shoe it should work with that lead.
    That lead should just be a patch lead .. .in other words each contact is connected in line ... if you can get your hands on a multimeter check the continuity from one end to the other.
    Paul

Andy 0 likes this.
  14. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The difference between eTTL and TTL is significant. With eTTL Canon fires off a low powered flash or pre-flash. This is how it determines the proper flash exposure and it is completely incompatible with TTL. To have functioning eTTL it is essential that there be a pre-flash.

It does seem that you need to test each component (camera, flash, cable) separately to determine what is failing.

JPA_Photo likes this.
  15. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    40D is ETTL.

I don't think there are any digital SLRs in the Canon (and equally, for clarity, lest we offend - the Nikon realm) that don't use an enhanced TTL protocol.

You can I believe switch the camera to operate in TTL mode but I haven't one infront of me, but it's not a protocol you'd want to use these days.

I'm fairly sure the later Canon film bodies also support eTTL. I make no point about other manufacturers, or Nikon.

16. Cracker

Cracker Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
  17. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ok so continuing to beat a deadhorse.

The original TTL (through the lens) metering worked by metering the light reflected off the film. This required one or more light sensors in the camera body to meter the reflected light. The problem they had was how they were located in the body and the fact that different films reflected light inconsistently, especially color film. Canon tried a different approach with their film cameras called aTTL that measured the reflected light by the speedlight, this worked for camera-mounted flashes so it was fairly limited. It has a variety of issues, so Canon moved forward.

With eTTL, the camera measures the pre-flash in the same way it measures ambient light. This means that the metering occurs before the mirror is flipped up and metering capabilities such as zones are available to use. It has been around since 1995.

Both eTTL (Canon), iTTL (Nikon), and pTTL (Pentax) cameras and speedlights require a pre-flash for proper auto exposure - they can not meter and set the proper exposure without it. They all handle manual speedlights well and many photographers prefer using speedlights in manual mode as it provides greater flexibility for creativity.

It is not just for marketing purposes that Canon, Nikon, Pentax and others refer to their systems as eTTL, iTTK or pTTL - it is because they will not autoexpose with TTL.

Sigma EF-610 DG ST electronic flash is supposed to be compatible with Canon and Nikon's systems. That means it will provide a pre-flash. If the camera is indicating that the flash is "TTL" then there is a failure to communicate occurring between the camera and the speedlight. In the meantime, try shooting just in manual mode, it may work out better in the long run.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Andy 0 likes this.
  18. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  19. Cracker

Cracker Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Ok thanks. The flash doesn't work in manual mode either.

If I am only wanting the flash to change the colour of the background would the transmitters I have posted be sufficient? I have studio lighting for the light.

20. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Probably

21. Andy 0

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They look like the same ones I use ( http://amzn.to/2CJVrSI ), you can get them in a double-bubble pack which works out better value and won't leave you stuck when they suddenly vanish ( http://amzn.to/2CVpKd6 ) for another two or three quid if you fancy.

They're dumb as a brick but they work okay, the transmitter uses a slightly odd-ball 3v battery but they're available, although they last a good long time and you could treat them as disposable at that price.

22. Cracker

Cracker Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Great thanks. I'll give them a go I think. Are they simple to use? Is it literally plug and play style?

23. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes very simple to use...

24. Cracker

Cracker Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thanks, what does the lead do? Does this need to be connected whilst using the flash? It says it goes into the computer but no idea why you would need to do that.

25. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The lead is to be used if you don't have it on a compatible hot shoe. Otherwise, just leave it disconnected.