1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Flash reflection on glass

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by Hannah T Lobban, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Hannah T Lobban

Hannah T Lobban Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice on flash photography (I’m very new to it).

I’m trying to shoot ink dropping/flowing through water in a fish tank, and I’m using flash guns in order to do that.

However the flash is reflecting on the tank and I can’t seem to find a way to avoid it. The worst offender is the flash from my camera, which I’m using to trigger the flash guns.

I know how to use clone tools etc in PS but would rather not rely on it.

Thanks in advance, H

2. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Change the angle of the camera-to-glass so the light doesn't bounce back to camera. If that doesn't work, consider using transceivers with the remote flash rather than the on-camera flash.

Hannah T Lobban likes this.
  3. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    How many flashes are you using ? Or do you only have the one off camera flash.

The cheapest way is to buy a Flash Sync Chord that fits on the hotshoe of your camera.
    That way you can fire the speedlight s without using your pop up flash.

Light the tank from the top, 90 degrees from the side of through diffusion from the back.

This is what I did last week.

https://www.photography-forum.org/threads/inverted-water-splash.152637/

If you use lighting from above you can just put a white card up against the back of the tank, it should be enough from the top light to come lot white.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    MikeB likes this.
  4. Hannah T Lobban

Hannah T Lobban Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’m using 3 in total, 2 off camera flashes situated on either side of the tank, then the on camera flash which triggers the guns. Thanks again, H

Thanks, I have experimented with angles but there’s nowhere else suitable for the flash guns to go in terms of angle, they same to reflect everywhere. Can keep experimenting though. If I move the angle of the camera then the flash disappears but then the photo isn’t at an angle that I’m happy with!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2019
  5. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    i have edited my post so re read it with the link I put in. We can get it sorted now we have the info of your lighting.

as @MikB says, it's all about angles. If you shoot a light at 45 degrees to the camera, the reflection will equal the deflected angle so you won't see it.
    The phrase is ' The angle of incident is equal to the angle of reflectance '
    I think I have spelt it correctly.........

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. Hannah T Lobban

Hannah T Lobban Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks! Extremely useful info. H

7. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @Hannah T Lobban

I did a quick setup video for you. Just a quick bodge job but it proves it is easy enough to fire speedlights with no glare.

rebel06 and Hannah T Lobban like this.
  8. Hannah T Lobban

Hannah T Lobban Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for the video. Did you use your studio lights too?

My studio is extremely makeshift (aka a corner in the garage) and it doesn’t have lights. So might try speedlights from above then light the background with a stronger desklamp/s...worth a shot!

9. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    only the 2 speedlight's. No other lighting needed.
    if you are shooting ink or paint, lighting from the rear will give a white background but you need a speedlight or flash to get white.

10. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When using flash, you cut out the effect of all other lighting using your flash sync speed which is usually 200-250th of a second. ISO 100 and around f8 so when you take a frame without flash it should be Black. Then
    you know no ambient light is affecting your shot.
    To get more ambient light you can drop your shutter speed down but shutter speed has no direct effect on the flash exposure, only the amount of ambient light you will get.
    You don't need a lot of space for this type of shot. Using flash allows you to control the lighting that's why I only used the same amount of speedlight's that you have.
    Make sure your back light has the sensor pointing up so it sees the on camera speedlight when it fires.

ImSoQuazy and Hannah T Lobban like this.
  11. David McKibbin

David McKibbin New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I use a Nikon infrared shield (SG-31R) on the camera whenever the on camera control flash might cause a reflection (or even effect the exposure when close to the subject).

Some great advice above to help loose the reflections from the off camera speedlights - another way is to place them hard against the glass. Good luck Hannah!