1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Flickr being purchased by Smugmug!

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by DonS, Apr 21, 2018.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  2. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Email just came in from Flickr:

We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.
    SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

Thanks,
    The Flickr Team

EDIT: Link to FLickr blog with more info: https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/04/20/together-smugmug-flickr-faq/

3. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    not had an email but just visited my flickr

Capture.JPG

noted new logo on toolbar clicked it and

Capture1JPG.JPG

tenchy likes this.
  4. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    SO is this move going to break all the links from flickr to the sites and forums that users link the images to in posts if so a lot of forums are going to have a no image placeholder instead of an image.

Just checked the "blog

Will anything happen to my photos or will they be moved?
    You’ll still be able to access your photos as you do currently and they’ll retain the same flickr.com URL as always.

tenchy likes this.
  5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This kind of thing will occur frequently. Maybe we should reconsider how we deal with links.

6. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have received four emails from them, maybe I have had a few different accounts over the many years.

7. Hatter

Hatter Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Interesting... I get a free "Pro" account on Flickr because I get my Broadband from BT. I wonder if that will change....

8. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    and one wonders when will it go from a free platform to a paid one.

9. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Might be worth checking the terms and conditions to see what new rights they claim over your images.

10. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    To make it simple, links are in my post above.

Phill104 likes this.
  11. Newbandit

Newbandit Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cool I have a smugmug account anyway so its all good. I love both platforms

12. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I can’t say that I have much concerns.

13. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They make it clear in the terms that you retain the rights, but grant them the use of images for the purposes of the service. Seemed much better than the previous Flickr ones IIRC.

Phill104 likes this.
  14. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for looking. I’ve been out all day with only a phone so not had time to look through

15. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hopefully they can get FlickR back to how it used to be, a decent place to share, view and get feedback. It’s a shadow of its former self at present.

16. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It certainly seems to be lacking since the last layout change. I seem to miss a lot of images friends post. When I see them out and about I then feel bad when they talk about their latest image.

17. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    my preference would be not to have any! nothing but hassle

MikeB likes this.
  18. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    will the app still work that uploads stuff automatically??
    Also that quote seems to contradict what's in the email Don posted (which I found today in my spam folder)

19. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I imagine they are. Eliminating the links entirely is fine, but I don't use them. I do like the idea that there is a photo here for every link. That way should a link fail, the photo remains.

20. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That normally isn't the case though. Those not attached are usually a linked image (which is why we see the image not found box so often) that is also hyperlinked to its page.

eg:
    linked_image.jpg

source for what you see:
    upload_2018-4-22_21-20-1.png

So if the URL for the image changes, nothing works or is seen.

21. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Can we only accept attached images with links?

22. rob.tolley77

rob.tolley77 Active Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    To be fair, I used Flickr in the past but never really got that much traffic to my images despite using their links. I've recently grabs the images I want from there (as I don't have the originals anymore) and deleted my account. I'm perfectly happy just to upload them as post attachments on the forum anyway, as I have been doing so far.