1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Flickr starting to get rid of Yahoo emails for logon

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by DonS, Mar 4, 2019.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  2. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Smart move. You lose your password for Yahoo email? $60.
    Suddenly the password don't work?
    $60.
    No bones, you pay or create a new one.
    Been there. Refuse to pay.

3. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not sure what you mean by a charge to change your password? See nothing of that.

Will be interested to see what they do with the mail system though.

4. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They will not take the time and effort to retrieve your password and all efforts on your part does not work. Pay 60$ for the year and you can get personal service and they will help you with looking up or resetting your lost password.
    Trust me....that is why I could not get in here b/c to reset password here...it went to my email. Could not get into my email and all ways ...to retrieve would fail.
    Just Google "Yahoo customer service phone number" there is none.

5. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’m always loosing my password, especially so the yahoo one. Not had a problem recovering it as I setup gmail as the contact place. So not had to pay them.

I do hope sometime soon all password based logon will end. There are far better and more secure ways now.

Pteranadon likes this.
  6. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They are slowly rolling this out. I cannot change mine yet.

7. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Has anyone been able to change their login yet?

8. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I changed to my gmail account years ago, so I don't have to worry.

9. Christopher

Christopher Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No. Still Yahoo to access flickr for me.

10. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Me too, still yahoo.

11. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    How did you log into Flickr with a gmail account?

12. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    mine still says this, so I guess I can't change mine either:

13. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Mine says that too, but I have the yahoo email secondary to my gmail. I start typing the yahoo and it automatically switches to gmail in the login tab. Maybe try going into your profile and put in a backup email address in case of lost password? I'm sure that's what I did way back when.

14. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Word from Flickr:

We're actively rolling out our new login system to users, in batches. If you don't see a banner prompting you to migrate when you're logged in, stay tuned -- it's coming!

15. steverob68

steverob68 Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    So is Christmas!

16. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They did not say how big a batch they did at one time. They probably do not want to overwhelm their authentication system.

17. steverob68

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    True but with a website that has an estimated 75 million members coping with up to 25 million uploads per day and 7 billion API requests per month one would expect the site to be able to cope with large enough batches to complete the change more quickly than they are doing.

18. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It is probably a lot harder than you think. I would guess there is not only third parties to deal with, but multiple platforms and membership types over the years. It all adds up to quite a headache. I would also guess there is an expected percentage of those that do switch will have problems. To rectify that quickly and therefore keep customer comfidence a team of a certain size needs to have a rate they can cope with. There is always a lot more to think about with these seemingly easy tasks.

DonS likes this.
  19. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I gave up with Flickr long before they gave up with me ;)

Rather arrogant for me to say that as Flickr was/is still a good force for the internet, unlike some platforms out there - in fairness, I feel that Flickr still has a part to play in the future of sharing photos on the internet.

20. steverob68

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have no doubt it has risks and complications associated with it and Flickr will have taken that into account when creating the project timeline.

They announced 176 days ago on Nov 1st 2018 they would be making the change and it would be complete by “early 2019”. A nice, typically vague, date.

They began the rollout on March 4th. I do not know of anyone who has been able to make the change.

21. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They may have also taken the opportunity to also upgrade their own system as well. I thought I had mentioned in a post before but I cannot find it. Some site was hacked and a bunch of passwords were put out. It was noted that the hashed passwords were in a bunch of different formats. Over time the back end systems get updated and newer, more secure, methods are used to store passwords. Smugmug may have changed their back end system before the Flickr users started using it. This would be an ideal time to do it, when the back end changes for storing passwords all current passwords are not updated, it is only when you change your password that it gets stored in the new format. Short story, change your passwords at least once a year on all sites because the back end may be more secure now and you can only take advantage of that if you change your password.

Phill104 likes this.
  22. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well, mine’s done. Feel all special now.

A word of warning. When you click on the banner to switch and type your new password in, pay attention as it only asks once. You don’t have to confirm your password. If you misstype and don’t notice you could have bother logging in next time.

tenchy likes this.
  23. DonS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am still checking every few days. Nothing on my side yet.

24. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm the same Don and as a Pro member you would have expected quicker.

DonS likes this.
  25. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I just logged in under my gmail account and got the banner up top to change my login. Woo hoo! All done, and I'm not even a Pro member.