• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Content Warning - Graphic Forum adverts?

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Well this is my latest advert to appear on the forum software. Do these really go by your recent browsing habits ? Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 069

3973DB15-CE65-42D1-AA3D-8E943C6FE28B.jpeg

Andy 0

Always on
Yes, it will generally use your tracking cookies, it's a very long shot to see something you, or somebody else on your machine hasn't been looking for.

I'm seeing a lot of tool stuff at the moment.

Sorry :(

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Yes, it will generally use your tracking cookies, it's a very long shot to see something you, or somebody else on your machine hasn't been looking for.

I'm seeing a lot of tool stuff at the moment.

Sorry :(
Yes, However I must sleep through all those online dating sites I go on.......
Interestingly, after reading the thread about VPN this week on the forum, I looked on my Facebook feed and what came up in one of those selling adverts? Yes an advert to sell VPN.....

Coincidence or not, strange how it appeared so suddenly, not the sort of thing I have seen for sale before.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Yes, However I must sleep through all those online dating sites I go on.......
Interestingly, after reading the thread about VPN this week on the forum, I looked on my Facebook feed and what came up in one of those selling adverts? Yes an advert to sell VPN.....

Coincidence or not, strange how it appeared so suddenly, not the sort of thing I have seen for sale before.
<whispering> They are watching you.

Andy 0

Always on
<whispering> They are watching you.
It's simple tracking sales, it's no coincidence. This is why Google are so powerful, it's all about targeted advertising.

Although my first post in this thread was a touch tongue in cheek there was a point, there could be a certain keyword in something you've researched earlier that's triggered it.

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day Brian

I suggest you investigate your Cookies settings ... and maybe install a delete-cookies option into your browser. You have the option of accepting cookies during a session and deleting ALL new ones upon closing, *or* accepting cookies from known / safe sites and deleting others, and it opens up from there. I have option-1 and with each google session I see it deleting up to 20 cookies a time

When I had become so sick of seeing such ads I ran the Cookies delete script and it found some 16,000 cookies on the system. Some passwords had to be reinstated, but overall the solution keeps me sane

Hope this helps & happy to chat more if you wish
Phil

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Not just local machine now-a-days, but lan or by geographically linked mobile devices; if you're in the same region as someone regularly and they regularly search for something on one of their devices it'll start showing up on yours as even with mobiles whilst they don't seem connected, a lot are chatting to each other by default. I started noticing that last year with a couple of things my other half was searching for propagating out to my desktop, laptop and mobile, @tenchy noticed that with a wasp's nest and it can be quite embarrassing or difficult to explain why certain things are popping up on your computer when you've not an interest in that stuff (or on the other side to the person searching for it when someone pops up and says "Who's been searching for XXXXX on the office system?").

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Well there is an option to turn it off on the top right and set that type of advert as ‘inappropriate’, which I found and did last night. However, on logging on my phone this morning this greeted me. Now, I definitely haven’t researched this one........... :)

4B078A16-1FCB-4E76-971F-12249FC8F6C2.jpeg

Last edited:

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Lol. I don't think you need to research them even.
I am not paranoid but I am logical and realistic.
If you check the permissions on your phone apps for things like Facebook and Google (chrome etc) you'll see camera and microphone are in there. Purportedly for video calls and photos, but the wasp thing has only two possible solutions.
One the ai serving ads has deduced a link between my phone and Rachy's, and probably easily knows we are very often together due to tags etc, or the microphone on my phone was monitoring our conversation in bed.
Now, option one, why don't I see ads for all the other things she researches? I do not normally. So why serve me a wasp nest removal ad this time?
FYI for those unaware, Rachy discussed the fact she thinks there was a wasp nest in her shed in bed one morning, old school, mouth, audio waves, ears.

Oh there is option 3. I used my phone on flash to get a closer and better lit view of said nest. So potentially my photo was scanned for recognition and served the wasp ad. Which is as insidious as the mic bugging option.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
If you check the permissions on your phone apps for things like Facebook and Google (chrome etc) you'll see camera and microphone are in there. Purportedly for video calls and photos, but the wasp thing has only two possible solutions.
There's also a couple of other settings under "Location Services" that need to be nobbled as well; under the advanced tabs there are options for WiFi and Bluetooth scanning even if location/WiFi/Bluetooth are supposedly shut down from the options that govern them; so whilst the user thinks these are off the phone is still pinging away off local WiFi points (whether routers, hotspots or other active devices) and building up a map of it's near neighbours with Bluetooth.