• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Framing Pictures on to Photo wall

eyeofthebeholder

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Evening All,

Over the years I have taken several (what I consider) to be great shots which have been “stuck” on my PC, so I have decided to actually put them on the wall – what a revelation!

Problem is, I have no experience in placing pictures on a wall how to frame them and don’t know what will look right.

I have a place I want to put them in my hallway, which is about 5m long and 2.4 high. The wall is white, but I already have rows of spots on the ceiling that can be moved around.

The images I want to use are totally random - landscapes, cityscapes, seascapes, cars, planes, abstract etc. As this is the case, I am thinking of putting them in a random order on the wall (eg not grouped by subject), which I hope will make it easier to add to in future?

I don’t really feel comfortable with having them displayed in ordered rows. I would rather have various sizes/shapes so they look randomly positioned on the wall. From the examples I have seen when investigating, this appeals to me most. How can I do this so it looks good? Are there any rules to follow?

Regarding getting frames for the images, I really haven’t a clue:
- Frame type/colour do I go for the same colour, or do I select different coloured/types (wood/silver/plain) frames to somehow match the images?
- Do I add mounts and if so what colour?
- What size frames/mounts should I get? I will be printing the images myself so can resize and change ratio as required within reason.

Any help or advice would be appreciated :)

Thank you

Adam.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
First off unles you've got a very good printer at home I'd get them professionally printed. The quality and longevity of pro prints is hard to match at home and the cost isnt much either.

A nice option can be having them printed onto acrylic or aluminium as this has no border or frame and suits hanging a number of images in proximity without the distraction of frames. It is however a bit more costly.

Jason

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Adam,

I’ve recently done my first bunch of ‘proper’ prints of my work to sling on the wall. I went with the random arrangement rather than fiddling about trying to precisely line pics up, however I have tried to keep together images that I feel compliment each other in some way. I don’t think there are any rules as such you just have to do what looks right to you for your photographs, there are lots of variables.

If you’ve a Wilko’s near to you, have a look at their photo frames. There are some nice, cheap black frames that look quite simple and tidy. Iirc, they’re only 3 or 4 quid for a 16x12 frame. I bought ten and I think it’s a good idea to use the same frames.

Last edited:

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Peter Glynn

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
If you upload your images to One Vision Imaging you can pick your frames and they will frame it for you.

Jeddoh

Old Hand
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've used Ikea frames for display purposes, they do various sizes and frame styles. I've got different sizes and colours displayed randomly on a couple of walls. Cheap to buy and easy to hang.

bobp

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
just to follow up Jeddoh's post, check out this:-

steve b

Always on
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If you have a picture rail, they can look nice hanging from longish soft cords, you can buy them in Dunelm.

eyeofthebeholder

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
First off unles you've got a very good printer at home I'd get them professionally printed. The quality and longevity of pro prints is hard to match at home and the cost isnt much either.

A nice option can be having them printed onto acrylic or aluminium as this has no border or frame and suits hanging a number of images in proximity without the distraction of frames. It is however a bit more costly.
Thanks Barry - I will have a look at this options for Acrylic/Aluminium and get standard prints done pro, compared to home printing - will have to see the cost differences vs quality :)

Hi Adam,

I’ve recently done my first bunch of ‘proper’ prints of my work to sling on the wall. I went with the random arrangement rather than fiddling about trying to precisely line pics up, however I have tried to keep together images that I feel compliment each other in some way. I don’t think there are any rules as such you just have to do what looks right to you for your photographs, there are lots of variables.

If you’ve a Wilko’s near to you, have a look at their photo frames. There are some nice, cheap black frames that look quite simple and tidy. Iirc, they’re only 3 or 4 quid for a 16x12 frame. I bought ten and I think it’s a good idea to use the same frames.
Black frames is something I was gravitating to as they are neutral, but wondering if having them all black would be a bit overload. How many do you have together? I do have a Wilcos in town so will deffo check this out. Thank you

For the framing, I've used www.pictureframesexpress.co.uk on several occasions, they are excellent.
If you upload your images to One Vision Imaging you can pick your frames and they will frame it for you.
I did have a look at a difference framing sites for custom frames but they only did box frames, which I think is a bit too big for what I want - would rather have a minimal projection from the wall. Will have to see the costs of these. Thanks for the recommendations!

I've used Ikea frames for display purposes, they do various sizes and frame styles. I've got different sizes and colours displayed randomly on a couple of walls. Cheap to buy and easy to hang.
just to follow up Jeddoh's post, check out this:- ]
We do have an Ikea near us so I will have to look on the website for. Thanks for the video also - I hadn't got as far as how to hang them, so good tips there :)

If you have a picture rail, they can look nice hanging from longish soft cords, you can buy them in Dunelm.
Unfortunately, it is a modern house with no picture rail. I have too many to hang in this way. I have been looking for some soft cord for another picture in a different room, so will look for that - thanks!

From what I can see then, there are no hard and fast rules to framing, it just down to what you think looks good. :)

Thanks for your help all!

Adam.