1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

From Holiday Snap to Decent Amateur Photograph

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Snips, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As said earlier don't beat yourself up about it, i've been doing photography for a number of years and i'm still waiting for that wow factor.

Snips likes this.
  2. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I'm "bumping" this thread as there have been a few people recently joining the forum who might appreciate some of the nuggets of great information in here.

Mikeynose, SpottySocks and Roger S like this.
  3. SpottySocks

SpottySocks Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Edward, thanks for bumping this thread! I have just read through and think it's brilliant. I think you are asking questions a lot of beginners are asking and I think the competitions are an excellent idea, I for one would participate! I think it just comes down to practice, practice and more practice. I have learnt a lot on this forum and I also have a subscription to th Photography Monthly magazine and I look forward to recieving it every month, it is a brilliant read and learn so much! So between this forum and the magazine I think I have come a long way in the last few months but I think I still have a long way to go!! :)

Jenbenjen and Snips like this.
  4. Philbo

Philbo Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for bumping this, I've just read through it all (and watched that Aussie's Vimeo) and it's been just great

5. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Forgive me for being so brazen for bumping the thread again - just three posts and six years later lol

For @LYNN GRIFFITHS

Lynn - hopefully this will give you some food for thought. You've shown the same sort of enthusiasm as Jen and I had when we started out all those years ago - now both of us earn our main income from photography although we've gone down very different paths. Many of the posters in that thread above (including Jen) have left the forum but the ideas and principles of photography don't change at all.

Without wishing to be patronising it seems that you've cleared the first hurdle - I thought this thread would give some substance as to using some sort of program to edit the images - Eunice's (Final Image) post in this thread was my biggest breakthrough with digital photography. Post #40 (those were the days!! :( ) was probably the most useful tip I've even been given with the more modern digital photography. I have often felt that Eunice's post should be made a "Sticky" - it was just what I was looking for back then.

Just out of interest, the photograph that inspired me more than anything was her's of a bug drinking from a Coke bottle. Taken by a mobile phone. The result looked like a specially set up dslr camera with tripod and all the gear. Her photography strengths were in landscape photographs of Scotland and Iceland in particular. The bug photograph just got to me and I couldn't resist asking ... hence the thread above.

6. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Eunice has always been a huge inspiration to me, even these days I often pop back through threads and look at her images.

Snips likes this.
  7. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    me too, I miss her posts, I hope she OK . she was struggling with health a little before she went away

8. Evertking

Evertking Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yeah, this is a very good read for people like me, who want to learn and improve, Awesome read.
    Snips, how long have you been shooting?
    I also think an "eye" does separate the good from amazing, and I'm not sure if that can be taught.. I just finished reading "Learning to See Creatively" and it was a good book and full of good insight that I will consider before taking the shot.

I also think beyond the exposure triangle and all that comes with that, that photoshop and post processing is part of the equation and a large part.
    Color theory.. Dave Morrow has some free ebooks on color theory. I think it plays a role in the pictures that I look at and wonder why can't I do that.
    Greg Benz, Adam Gibbs and Alex Nail.. I have seen them play with color, using warp to mold and image.
    It all seems daunting when your in my shoes and just starting out. But I do think looking at the work you like and taking that into practice helps, but what do I know.

This seems like a really helpful fourm and looking forward to meeting everyone.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  9. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thank you - I joined the forum just under 6 years ago as an intermediate - then rather quickly changed to beginner :)

I started selling photographs about a year later and had two jobs then but about three years ago I went full time into equine event photography. I said recently that event photography is not that artistic - it's more a question of getting as good an exposure as possible, finding a good background and then just waiting for the moment. With show jumping for example, I try and take the first jump as if they clear it at least that's one shot in the bag but after than I plan on as many shots as possible for the round bearing in mind the sun direction, background and the least amount of exercise possible to get as many jumping shots as possible - and without getting in the way. The skill is getting the timing right with a single shot - it took me many tens to hundreds of shots to achieve that with the jumping and about 3,000+ shots with the in-hand showing and dressage shots. The customers know exactly what they want and if you don't get it you don't sell it :) - and I still delete 1/5th of all the showing/dressage shots I take before they reach a computer!

Re your comments on the eye - when I started ** years ago I just took photographs of what I liked and despite learning rules of thirds and all sorts I still do that. If I like what I see and have a camera I will photograph it. What has changed now since joining the forum is how I compose that shot. For example, if I'm on a walk and like a landscape in the old days I just went click and hoped Photoshop would do the rest but nowadays I will look at what I like in that landscape and then try to find a better angle or position. The same approach is when I take a flower shot - Barry (Ogofmole) gave me the best tip I've ever had - look for the background as you can make or break a photograph with a good/bad background. I like to find an uncluttered background with flowers as they stand out better.

Landscapes are MUCH more about being artistic and returning for even better light than the last time, taking time to assess the area, looking for a really appealing scene and composition, considering neutral density filters and all sorts. Very different to wedding and event photography. Portraits are artistic too, achieving a good facial expression (via communication and talking and nothing to do with camera work) paying good attention to light and planning a good setting and pose.

I don't want to knock event photography as it takes much practice to get it right. It's just that it's another different skill set and the people who buy the photographs tend not to notice things about light and shade - they want the right moment above all else - the legs in the right place with a horse, the motocross rider in the air, the rugby tackle moment of impact. The competitors are looking for a photograph that gives them a good memory of their hobby on that day. The person who buys a landscape will be looking for a piece of artwork for their wall that really appeals to them.