1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Fuji Users ** Updated & sucessful workflow

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Minor Problem, Nov 30, 2017.

1. fmw

fmw Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Congratulations on the the new T2. I'm a Fuji X shooter as well. The problem with your images is not due to RAF conversion. It appears to be due to motion blur. The image is soft and no amount of post process will make it sharp. I suspect your equipment is probably fine. I recommend going back to that location with a tripod.

The "worms" people talk about in dealing with RAF files are fairly rare and don't seem to appear in Capture One. I haven't been able to reproduce them in Affinity either. I don't see them in your images for that matter. I think you need to review your camera management. It aoften fails with new equipment until we become accustomed to it. Your equipment is capable of startlingly sharp images. So is your post process.

2. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for your input. My observations weren't based solely on this one file nor am I unfamiliar to decent equipment handling techniques. My D800 requires exceptionally good handling to get the best image quality from it and I've managed the odd sharp image from time to time.

The small crop posted is deliberately from an area behind the focussing plane and dof which was out of focus, my concern was the way in which the areas that were slightly out of focus were rendered, I thought I'd made that clear in my original post, if not I apologise for any ambiguity.

3. fmw

fmw Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    OK. But I still don't see any worms so your editing software is handling the RAF files competently.

4. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Did I mention worms anywhere? I am pretty sure my issue was the slightly painterly effect visible after acr rendering that was less evident in the same file ran through capture one.

5. benhben

benhben Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    How are you getting on with the Fuji workflow? Are you still using iridient?

I got an X-T2 before christmas and noticed for the first time the other day the wormy foliage issue. Edited some RAF taken in the lake district without pixel peeping and saved them. When looking at them full screen areas of trees and grass had a really poor resolution. When zoomed in there were weird washed out detail across them and wavy lines which I guess are the "Worms" people refer to. Noticed it on a few photos subsequently also. Only seems to show up in grass and tree branches.

Tried Iridient to convert to DNG and edit. Whilst it was an improvement it still wasn't good.

Thinking of trying the Capture One demo but dont really want to learn and pay for a new system. Its annoying as I love shooting with the X-T2 but my RAW files from my old 20mp 70D were cleaner in Lightroom.

I will try and upload some screenshots later.

EDIT: It seems much of the problem is due to the sharpening process.

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com...rans-iii-raw-processing-with-adobe-lightroom/

http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. chaz

chaz Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This guy shows the painterly/worm effect

7. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Interesting video.
    While I'm fascinated by the under-the-hood differences between raw files, most photographers just want their software to produce the results they expect. Lightroom, especially when paired with Photoshop, is extremely versatile. But Lightroom's sharpening of X-Trans raw files creates artifacts at any level except 0.

You can use Lightroom for sharpening but have to be more careful with the Sharpen amount and very conservative on the Detail amount. Comparing a TIFF created by RAWdigger and the parent RAF raw file in Lightroom, it seems that Lightroom's sharpening process uses a behind-the-scenes edge mask that misinterprets transitions in the RAF for edges (this is the "painterly" look) and then the Detail slider overcooks those edges. This is a function that clearly works well for Bayer sensors but creates artifacts with the X-Trans sensor. Even setting the Detail slider to 0, the edge masking function still produces artifacts. Transferring to Photoshop without any sharpening does seem to work well.

Minor Problem likes this.
  8. Activ8

Activ8 I made the 1,000,000 th post

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @Minor Problem Barry, Sorry been offline for a long while and just saw this thread. I suffered with this problem for a while on fine detail when using the Fuji XT2 and XPRO2 for a while and initially had to use Iridient but this screwed with my colour balances as all my colourchecker profiles are in lightroom. I then came across a landscape pro (Pete Bridgwood) who used fuji and used and tweaked his presets. This got me 99.9% to what I was getting out of Irident but with better colour. You can check Pete's settings here: http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/#more-1432

MikeB and Minor Problem like this.
  9. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am using a combination of both. Importing initially into Lightroom with a flat preset and zero sharpening and if it's a file with some foliage issues that I want to work on then I've been running individual files through Iridient. It saves me time and storage this way.

MikeB likes this.
  10. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for that David, very useful info.