1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Fuji X-E1 first impressions

Discussion in 'Camera Reviews Forum' started by paulmag, Apr 7, 2017.

1. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I will start this look at the Fuji X-e1 with a bit of personal history.

My first remembered encounter with a camera was when I was preteen and the camera was a box camera with a piece of tracing paper over the back in place of the film enabling me to see the world upside down and back to front .......this got me hooked. I went through a series of consumer cameras Instamatic's etc.. eventually ending up in the mid 1970's with a Praktica Super TL2 and a Minolta Autocord TLR both of which served me from then to about 2008.

The Praktica had a built in light meter its only electronic aid...........you had to get the needle in the circle to get correct exposure.

From 2008 I have had too many cameras to mention all from the new digital age ending up with canon kit a canon 40D (crop) 5D (Full frame) and a mirrorless EOS-M (no viewfinder).

All the cameras I have (more than mentioned above) all work fine they all have "special features" and are better or worse in differing situations............no camera is good for every situation much like no single hammer is the do everything hammer.

The camera I have spent most time with over my lifetime was my Praktica Super TL2 with its fancy :) Built in meter where I had to drive the film, control the aperture shutter speed and focus all by hand and by virtue of this compared to todays cameras meant I was an integral part of the image capture machine where a modern DSLR the machinery does all the work and you just point it in the right direction :) to be honest depending on the kit you have you can exercise as much or as little manual input as the camera will allow.

Now eventually to the Fuji X-E1 this camera looks very much like a 1970's Rangefinder camera with its black and satin chrome look and sporting similar external controls, I did find it very easy to get familiar with the camera controls in a very short time and can operate the camera without the need to look at the controls and can keep my eye on the viewfinder while making the adjustments. Using the 27mm pancake lens you have to use the command dial to adjust the Aperture as the lens has no aperture ring.

The X-E1 looks great marrying the looks of a classic 1970's camera with todays technology so for me the best of both worlds.

Using the X-E1 I find is straight forward and being able to control the aperture and shutter speed from controls on the exterior of the camera is much easier and quicker than hunting through menus although the Q menu on the Fuji is easy to use to make adjustments or to load a custom preset, the EVF (Electronic View Finder) I find a real boon as there is proper diopter adjustment for those of us who need spectacles enabling me to see the menus etc in the viewfinder as sharp as sharp this is a big plus compared to my EOS-M which has no viewfinder and relies on the rear screen which is OK to a point....fails on sunny days and I need to mess around with my spectacles to be able to see the screen plus holding a camera with a viewfinder inherently is a more stable configuration than holding the camera at arms length.

When I bought the camera body I also ordered an adapter to enable me to use other than the Fuji XF lenses and this works really well the camera is set to shoot with no lens as the non fuji lenses have no electrical connection to the body and require focus and aperture control to be handled manually on the lens no problem with any old manual lens but I cannot adjust the aperture and have to use my Canon EOS lenses with the aperture set wide open. Accurate focusing manually is simple using the command dial you can zoom in to get precise focus.

I have not had much opportunity to use the system in anger but as time goes on I am sure my attempts at capturing images will be posted on this forum or on my website or flickr feed.

Fuji X-E1 and 27mm f2.8 pancake lens.jpg

balami, tenchy and Mike Singh like this.
  2. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It does have a retro look Paul! Are you planning to get other lenses? Does it have the fuji film simulations?

3. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a samyang?? 12mm on order but no stock available anywhere all on to order.

I can use all my canon lenses 17-40 f4L 24-105 f4L and 70-200f4L plus my 60mm EFS macro and also a couple of old manual lenses one being a fujinon 55mm f1.8.

I am meeting up with @chaz in a few weeks and he has a couple of Fuji bodies and several lenses I can try ..............I may go for the kit lens next ....a lot more than the canon kit lens in money build quality and max aperture.

Yes the film sims are built in and also available in lightroom 5 so I can apply them post process to my Raw RAF files

tenchy likes this.
  4. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Where in LR can I find these?

5. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  6. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Paul will check this out!

7. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't have for those in LR CC! I guess it would only be available for Fuji files.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  8. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I assume you are loading a fuji raf file

tenchy and hooferinsane like this.
  9. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Canon!

10. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    only works with fuji files

tenchy and Mike Singh like this.
  11. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

12. Activ8

Activ8 I made the 1,000,000 th post

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You can use the old aperture trick to change the aperture of your canon lenses by setting the aperture on a canon body, hold in the DOF preview button and remove the lens from the body without releasing the DOF preview button. Now the aperture is set you can put it on the fuji adapter no problem. It is a bit of messing but ok for occasional use.

13. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    i know that one but as you say a bit of a faff

tenchy likes this.
  14. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm still muttering over an X-E, and this isn't helping Paul!!!

I had a couple of X30 last year and really liked them but both suffered different electronic failures and I've been tempted by the X70 but for the lack of VF. So I'm thinking one of these and couple of primes to go with. Dunno yet, mind as I've to get the 70-200 fettled as it's conversing with the neighbour's cat every time the AF spins one way.

15. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Quite liking the fuji and cheap enough at £175 whither adaptor and an old fuji non lens very old school film like but with latest tech

tenchy likes this.
  16. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's what I like about the Fujis, the X-E series, the X-(x)0 compacts, as well as the X-Pro are about the closest thing I've handled that feel close to an old rangefinder. Whilst it's not a nostalgia trip for the "good old days" (give me a digital rig with Lightroom over a 35mm and chems any day) some of these modern camera types are a bit too, I don't know which of the two words, clinical or industrial. I don't know what the best way to describe it is, but these are the sort of thing that would make greasy nose prints on Harrisons shop front.

paulmag likes this.
  17. chaz

chaz Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Interesting read, take the 27mm pancake up with you as i am considering getting one for my street photography but have not seen one in the flesh yet.

18. chaz

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    At the price they are now Sean, you would not be disappointed, i am in a happy place with my two bodies.

19. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Will do ....well will have to as it's only fuji fit I have :) unless the 12mm ying yang comes in time

tenchy likes this.
  20. chaz

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You will like the Samyang, my one is so sharp.

paulmag likes this.
  21. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I know Chaz, they're so tempting because the price is really low on them, it's just seeing what sort of money I can hide from the accountancy department is to what I make the decision on!

22. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well done, Paul. Looking forward to additional comments once you get more mileage on it as well as some photos.

paulmag likes this.
  23. lundrog

lundrog Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you want to explore real retro , including the use of the lenses on your film camera hit me up. My fav in my x-e2 and x-e2s are some of the 1930's-50's lenses I own.

24. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks but due to my great age apparantly most of my other gear is retro or as Ebay posters advertise...............RARE and Vintage

slipper and tenchy like this.
  25. chaz

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    He has the flares to prove it :)

MikeB and paulmag like this.